KOF 98 Combos

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
SonGohan:
Ah, I was just wondering cause I checked his site and there weren't any updates from yesterday. What mirc server/channel you hang on? I'm interested in seeing these.
I've got a 4-set of combo's for Joe in my AIM shared folder.

If you want to scope them out feel free to, I'll leave AIM on so you can grab them if you want.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
AIM handle?

*EDIT - nm, found it in your profile.. doh

<small>[ July 09, 2003, 04:02 AM: Message edited by: SonGohan ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SonGohan:
Ah, I was just wondering cause I checked his site and there weren't any updates from yesterday. What mirc server/channel you hang on? I'm interested in seeing these.
Okay, KoF98 game info and the combos/combo pics for Andy and Kim are up, I'm working on Robert's right now. Now that I have a decent directory structure for the games and characters, it's quite easy to insert new stuff.

Will you host Diavle's and Average Joe's combo pics? If so, it would be great if you'd keep up the standard you already have, naming the pics "combo01, combo02", etc., and showing the lifebars for the combo and avatars for the chara.

Otherwise you ppl could send me the pics via mail, my address is takumaji@lupa.de .

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
SonGohan:
None, I use it only for file transfers. Name one and I'll be there.

Takumaji:

Otherwise you ppl could send me the pics via mail, my address is takumaji@lupa.de .
I doubt I can send you a 12mb file.

Anyhoo, have about 56 (total) done now (give or take, my counting might be off). For the following characs:

- Saiysu (2)
- Heidern (1)
- Ryo (6)
- Chin (7) [From Takumaji's post]
- Andy (2)
- Robert (4)
- Kyo (3)
- Shingo (3)
- O.Chris (6) [From Takumaji's post]
- Chris (2)
- O.Yashiro (2)
- Yashiro (4)
- Takuma (1)
- Billy (3)
- Leona (4)
- Mary (3)
- Chang (4) [From Takumaji's post]

The most painful (a.k.a boring as hell) part was putting them into individual folders. I'll be resting a lil now, I'm spent.

<small>[ July 09, 2003, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Diavle18:
SonGohan:
None, I use it only for file transfers. Name one and I'll be there.

Takumaji:

I doubt I can send you a 12mb file.

Anyhoo, have about 56 (total) done now (give or take, my counting might be off). For the following characs:

- Saiysu (2)
- Heidern (1)
- Ryo (6)
- Chin (7) [From Takumaji's post]
- Andy (2)
- Robert (4)
- Kyo (3)
- Shingo (3)
- O.Chris (6) [From Takumaji's post]
- Chris (2)
- O.Yashiro (2)
- Yashiro (4)
- Takuma (1)
- Billy (3)
- Leona (4)
- Mary (3)
- Chang (4) [From Takumaji's post]

The most painful (a.k.a boring as hell) part was putting them into individual folders. I'll be resting a lil now, I'm spent.
Good job, man!

Well, you could send me a mail with 12+ MB of data since the server that hosts lupa.de is mine and I haven't set a size limits for mails to my various accounts, but I guess it's best if SonGohan takes them and puts them on his webspace in the way he did it with his combos. This way, I get a nice avatar and life-bar for the site.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Wow, I've done a total of 3...

Free time is in short supply these days.

Not much, but I've a mini-vacation coming up and I'll see what I can do then, but I suppose every little bit helps.

Just let me know who you want me to send them to: Gohan? Tak? Whoever.

@Gohan:

I refined the ones I did last night to make them more suitable for standard play and for examples sake.

<small>[ July 09, 2003, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Average Joe:
Wow, I've done a total of 3...

Free time is in short supply these days.

Not much, but I've a mini-vacation coming up and I'll see what I can do then, but I suppose every little bit helps.

Just let me know who you want me to send them to: Gohan? Tak? Whoever.

@Gohan:

I refined the ones I did last night to make them more suitable for standard play and for examples sake.
If you have web space available, take a look at how SonGohan makes his combo pic pages on his site and do the same with yours.

Or, you can zip the stuff and mail it to takumaji@lupa.de .

It would be best if SonGohan would host the combo pics as long as I'm working on them to put it on my site, so perhaps you and SonGohan can work something out. After I have downloaded them they could be deleted to save space.

Anyway, thanks! Keep the stuff coming!

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
We can always meet on the chat-solutions server and in #snk if you want to transfer some stuff to me. I don't mind hosting as I have unmetered bandwidth :)

Diavle - meet in #snk on chat-solutions server, let's say, 3:00pm central time (2 hours from now)?

Average Joe - I'll hit you up on AIM here pretty soon

<small>[ July 09, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: SonGohan ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Alright, I just got Diavle's nice 12mb of captures. There's just a small thing:

When you make captures, at the end try to take the last pic with the opponent on the floor after their life has went down (ie: after the red is gone). When I make captures, I'll usually taunt at the end while they're getting up as a reminder to me that it'll be the last shot to show full damage done.

Remember, the last shot is going to have the lifebar edited and double sized for use on the combo page to show combo damage.

Also, take shots of each hit of the combo. If a move has multiple hits (like Robert's HCF + K), then take a shot of the middle of the move.

If possible, give a list of commands for each combo. Most of them I'll probably be able to figure out by looking at the shots, but I'll want to make extra sure to be safe, especially when it's of characters I'm not too familiar with :)

If any of you want, you can make a recording of your combos, which will come out to be kof98.rc0 (or whatever recording slot you're using in Kawaks). Rename the recording to something like kyocombo01.rco. Take your recordings and put them in a folder and you can send them to me and I'll rename them one at a time and do the screenshots. I have no job and nothing else better to, and it takes a long time to get everything together (picking the right shots, resizing, uploading, and the little html work) so it's all good :)

I'd like to get the recordings as well, and have the screenshots taken from the actual recordings for sake of continuity. I have a load more combos to go through from Diavle though :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Great, let me know when you're finished with Diavle's combo overload! :)

Hey, this looks like it's getting somewhere.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
@Songohan: Yeah I know. I did take the shots when there was no more energy going though, so the energy loss is final. I'll be making a list of combos soon. :)

I took as little shots as possible because they will take less memory and it will kinda suck having a ton of pics with a little description. We are showing combos and not how the moves look, no? I will definitely take the life meter into consideration next time.

I haven't found a job, yet, and its summer vacations so I have plenty of time too.

@Takumaji: Yeah I'm surprised too, usually this kind of stuff doesn't last long.

@Average Joe: Any and all help is welcome! :D

<small>[ July 09, 2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
@Gohan

I've loaded about 6 or 7 combo's in my AIM folder, if you want to grab them go ahead.

But I wouldn't bother taking screenshots of them, because like I said I've got some time off this weekend and nothing to do but sit on my ass, so I can do them myself.

I've already done a few and took a step-by-step analysis along with a suitable amount of shots per move and the obligatory opponent on his ass finisher pic.

It's pretty boring and tedious, but I think it should make for a very nice guide when it's all over and done with (along with improving my combo skills :D )

@Diavle: Thanks, wish I had more time to help but working 50+ hours leaves me with little energy to do anything but sleep. But I'll try to pump out as many as I can.

<small>[ July 09, 2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
Hey, great thread everyone!

Since I'm not a huge fan of the KoF series, I'd forgotten what a solid engine '98 really has. Reading all the posts has inspired me to pull out the cart again and give it some more time! wink

There's one combo that I've always wanted to see again though - when the game was first released I remember seeing this one combo with Kim that I thought was absolutely amazing.

I THINK it went something like this (keeping in mind that I really suck at comboing in this game, so the button commands might be off): MAX Mode - (in air) qcf+B (needs to cross-up), cB, sB, d,d+B, qcb,db,f+D

Can any of the combo gurus out there confirm/correct this?

Anyway, keep up the great work! :D

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Real Bout Maniac:
Hey, great thread everyone!

Since I'm not a huge fan of the KoF series, I'd forgotten what a solid engine '98 really has. Reading all the posts has inspired me to pull out the cart again and give it some more time! wink

There's one combo that I've always wanted to see again though - when the game was first released I remember seeing this one combo with Kim that I thought was absolutely amazing.

I THINK it went something like this (keeping in mind that I really suck at comboing in this game, so the button commands might be off): MAX Mode - (in air) qcf+B (needs to cross-up), cB, sB, d,d+B, qcb,db,f+D

Took me a *few tries but I did it, and I wasn't in MAX mode.

*actually means a ton.

Perhaps one these nice fellows can take some shots for you. I wasn't recording when I did it and I'm not good enough to pull this off with any sort of regularity yet.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Real Bout Maniac:
[...] There's one combo that I've always wanted to see again though - when the game was first released I remember seeing this one combo with Kim that I thought was absolutely amazing.

Yep, it works, I pulled it off a couple of times and got 17 rush hits as a result, could be more with a lil' practise. Nice! I like cross-up combos.

It's a really tricky combo, tho. To land the aerial qcb+B as a crossup is one thing, but also the timing on the d,d+B -> DM is strict, took me a while to get it to connect.

Anyway, that combo will go into the Kim section... ...combo pics, anyone? :D

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Takumaji:
Real Bout Maniac:
[...] There's one combo that I've always wanted to see again though - when the game was first released I remember seeing this one combo with Kim that I thought was absolutely amazing.

Yep, it works, I pulled it off a couple of times and got 17 rush hits as a result, could be more with a lil' practise. Nice! I like cross-up combos.

It's a really tricky combo, tho. To land the aerial qcb+B as a crossup is one thing, but also the timing on the d,d+B -> DM is strict, took me a while to get it to connect.

Anyway, that combo will go into the Kim section... ...combo pics, anyone? :D
I've just tried it and it's kinda hard to pull off (for me, anyways.. Using a psx pad and for some reason it's hard to pull off simple qcfs becaues the movement + timing is a little odd going through the converter).

A small problem I have (using Goro as a training dummy) is actually getting the hishokyaku to cross up. You have to place Kim perfectly or else he'll just run across the front part of him. Another is to chain the cB right after you land to count in your total hits.

I was messing around though, and you can cancel the D,D+B after the first hit of an in close C, and string a DM or SDM afterwards. I seem to have an easier time doing that then trying to string the couple light kicks.

So what I'm trying to say is that there's a possible combo of this:

Cross up with a B hishokyaku, stand C, cancel after first hit with D,D+B, then super. What do you think? Or should I keep trying for the cB sB instead?

A

ARM

A few combos...

Shermie:
cross-up jumping C, standing A, standing A, hcb*2+A/C / 1 stock, 50% damage

Benimaru:
in MAX mode... cross-up jumping D, crouching A, D, qcf*2+A/C / 2 stocks, 60-65% damage

Yashiro:
in MAX mode... cross-up jumping C, crouching A, A, far C, f+A, qcf*2+A/C / 2 stocks, 70% damage, very tricky to pull off

Ryo:
in MAX mode... cross-up jumping D, crouching B, crouching A, crouching C, qcf*2+A/C -opponent is dizzy- cross-up jumping D, crouching B, crouching C, qcf,hcb+A/C / 3 stocks, 90% damage

Kyo:
hyper hop B, crouching B, crouching A, qcf*2+A/C / 1 stock, 40-45% damage

Ralf:
in MAX mode... charge back, f+D, quickly do a C and cancel it into qcb,hcf+K / 2 stocks, 90% damage (takes some practice)

SonGohan, the combo you're looking for is:

Kim:
cross-up jumping D, C, d,d+B, C, d,d+B, C, d,d+B, qcb,f+B/D (that's right... it's possible to do 3 d,d+B's, not just one)

All of the aforementioned combos are for advanced mode, btw.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
ARM:

Kim:
cross-up jumping D, C, d,d+B, C, d,d+B, C, d,d+B, qcb,f+B/D (that's right... it's possible to do 3 d,d+B's, not just one)
Wow, is the timing weird with the C, D,D+B (repeat 3 times)? I can't get another C out after the D, D+B

Anyway I threw this together real quick ( <a href="http://snkguitarist.com/combos/kim/combo02/" target="_blank">http://snkguitarist.com/combos/kim/combo02/</a> ). I have quite a lot of stuff to do tonight regarding Diavle's stuff. I was gonna get to it last night but played a bunch of 2k2 with LWK online :) Sorry 'bout that.

<small>[ July 10, 2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: SonGohan ]</small>

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
Takumaji:

It's funny, as horrible as I am at comboing in this game, I really didn't find it that difficult to learn the timing of the DM off of the d,d+B move.

Actually, I'm tearing my hair out trying to get the DM after Kim's fw+A command move - for some reason, I just cannot, for the life of me, get the timing down on that. crying

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Real Bout Maniac:
Actually, I'm tearing my hair out trying to get the DM after Kim's fw+A command move - for some reason, I just cannot, for the life of me, get the timing down on that. crying
After you do the F + A, it'll take time for the animation to come out and everything. Immediately after you activate it, go to neutral, then do his DM motion while you're still in the air before you land.

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
SonGohan:
Real Bout Maniac:
After you do the F + A, it'll take time for the animation to come out and everything. Immediately after you activate it, go to neutral, then do his DM motion while you're still in the air before you land.
Thanks for the tip! I'm thinking that the trouble I'm having might be because I'm not letting the stick go to neutral before going with the DM motion. Once I can train myself to do that it'll hopefully get a bit easier.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Real Bout Maniac:
SonGohan:
Real Bout Maniac:
Thanks for the tip! I'm thinking that the trouble I'm having might be because I'm not letting the stick go to neutral before going with the DM motion. Once I can train myself to do that it'll hopefully get a bit easier.
Just sit in Practice Mode and do it over and over and over and over and over and over...

I can't tell you how much my combo skills have improved over the last week just by doing that. Simply stick to one particular combo and keep on doing it until you find the certain 'groove' needed to perform it.

Sure it takes a little time, but that's the only real way to get better.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Sigh, Great work people :)

I've just checked the site out and its looking great, when I get some spare time, (and bandwidth), I'll be glad to help out.

*waves to everyone*

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
kernow:
Sigh, Great work people :)

I've just checked the site out and its looking great, when I get some spare time, (and bandwidth), I'll be glad to help out.

*waves to everyone*
huggles and kisses

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SonGohan:
ARM:

Kim:
Wow, is the timing weird with the C, D,D+B (repeat 3 times)? I can't get another C out after the D, D+B

Anyway I threw this together real quick ( <a href="http://snkguitarist.com/combos/kim/combo02/" target="_blank">http://snkguitarist.com/combos/kim/combo02/</a> ). I have quite a lot of stuff to do tonight regarding Diavle's stuff. I was gonna get to it last night but played a bunch of 2k2 with LWK online :) Sorry 'bout that.
:)

Nice! Will add it to the Kim section when I'm back home in a couple of hours.

Keep us updated on Diavle's combo pics.

Oh, and I will add links to a strategy section for every chara. beelzebubble posted a fine Choi faq (for 2k2 that is) and I'm planning to do something like that for every chara, perhaps not that in-depth. I was thinking about contacting several FAQ authors that up'ped their stuff on GameFAQs to get permission to use bits of their work on the site... on the other hand, I'm sure that a lot of you have cool tips to share as well.