KOF 98 Combos

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Wow, reading this thread made me realize I need to pull myself away from MOTW and SS to spend some quality time with KOF.

Lately I've trying to hone my fighting skills by practicing combos, tactics, and various character strategies. And it seems KOF98 would be the perfect game to work on my skills; sad I never seemed to notice this until now.

It seems that I can pull off the majority of these combos in practice mode, only problem now is working them into actual battles.

That's something I need to work on...

@SonGohan:

How do you get those clips to work with Kawaks?

I know how to load and save my own, but I can't figure out how to view yours.

<small>[ July 07, 2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Takumaji:
Very good material, SonGohan.

Where do you want the lifebar to be placed? I will make a version of the page for Andy, Kim and Terry according to your combos pics tonight based on the Takuma combo pages.

Btw., I guess a screenshot of the chara select of KoF98 would be too small for a menu, perhaps we could use the neo-geo.com avatars to build a chara menu that leads to the per-chara combo pages.

If you want, I can send you the source of the page for further experiments.

What do you think about the presentation of the combo pics, I placed one in a row with the description on the right, but I could also place two of them in one row to save space.
Sounds good to me. Or perhaps we could take the character select screen, resize it to double, and then use it? It'd be big enough to use as a navigation point, eh? Or would you rather stick with using another source for avatars? I have more time today so I'll see if I can crank out a few more characters.

@Average Joe - I use Kawaks to record these videos. When you download them, put them in your "recinput" folder. Remember, it records it as kof98.rc0 , which is basically means - kof98 is what my rom zip was named to, the driver rom, and .rc0 means I used recording slot #0 (all of the recordings are done in slot #0). I'm using Kawaks version 1.46, so make sure everything is the same (rom name, recording slot, version of kawaks), and then press shift+F7 to play.

When the page is done, there's going to be a little FAQ I'd imagine that will cover all the grounds with the stuff on the combo pages and such.

Right now I'm not trying to do any fancy elaborate combos, just stuff that is actually feesable during battle. If you stick with practicing these combos over and over and over again in training (make sure you have dummy set to guard), then after time in battle they should come as natural as your regular special commands.

<small>[ July 07, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: SonGohan ]</small>

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Hey @SonGohan, how do you take screenshots in kawaks?

BTW I did a little asking around on converting Kawaks files into types viewed by media players. Xeon-G over from A@H said that a program called Fraps can do it. One flaw is that the sound doesn't get converted well (or was it at all??).

<small>[ July 07, 2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The way I make screenshots in Kawaks is to make the video first, then when I play it back press ctrl+p (takes screenshot) a shitload of times until the combo is done, then pick and choose what shots would make up the combo.

If somebody else wants to make them into video files, that's fine by me. I'd rather stick with the Kawaks files though as they're extremely small and they're just basic combos.

One thing I did think about doing was to take all the screenshots (I usually take around 60 shots per combo), and have them in an animated gif, although that would still be significantly larger than the small recording file frown

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
This thread has inspired me to play a LOT more '98 than I normally do. Last night I was playing all random characters, against my brother and the computer. I saw two weird things I never saw before last night:

1.) I can't exactly say what happened, but I was playing as someone and I was button mashing (I was desperate cause I was gonna lose, I do know it was someone I don't know how to play as well), and all of a sudden I noticed that it looked like Athena (who was up next) had jumped out into the action, then she jumped back into the background! What in the world triggers this?!

2.) I was playing as Brian (luck of the draw :( ) and I was yet again button mashing (cause I knew I was gonna lose), and he did this REALLY WEIRD move or something, he like stuck out his arms and spun and went flying really fast (like he was trying to do Hanzo's (World Heroes) Ninpo Rinko Sinzan). What in the world is this move and how do you do it?

Thanks in advance! help

EDIT: does anyone have any sort of tips for when you're playing entirely random characters?

<small>[ July 07, 2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: DanAdamKOF ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Another update.

<a href="http://www.lupa.de/ne-o-rama/draft/" target="_blank">Click here</a>.

Don't forget to keep your shift-key pressed while reloading the pages in your browser to get the latest versions.

The logo on the main page is my take on a stylish logo for the final site. I'm planning to make this the entry page and put small versions of the game logos on it with links to the corresponding pages.

I also changed the menu structure and the per-character pages.

I've scaled a KoF98 chara select shot to double size, but it doesn't look too good. Will make an image map of it in the next couple of days and we'll see. So far, I'm tending to use bigger/single avatar pics.

The Terry combo pics have been included, currently I'm working on the other ones (Kim, Andy). As soon as they're finished, we should make a general layout decision.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Startin to look nice. Good to see it evolving before our eyes. Now for the artwork section, like under Takuma, we should keep it strictly kof 98 Takuma artwork. Thing is, is it just going to be screenshots (a la Gamest Mook where it shows taunts, dizzy, etc), or is it going to be official drawn art?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
DanAdamKOF:
[...] 1.) I can't exactly say what happened, but I was playing as someone and I was button mashing (I was desperate cause I was gonna lose, I do know it was someone I don't know how to play as well), and all of a sudden I noticed that it looked like Athena (who was up next) had jumped out into the action, then she jumped back into the background! What in the world triggers this?! [...]
This is the cover attack. If you're dizzy and/or low on health (lower than your opponent) AND your team mate that follows next has a neutral or good relation to you, tap ABC rapidly to call your next teamy to help you. This also works if you're in the middle of a grab and are about to die. The team member runs in and does one of his command/special moves.

To find out about your team mate's temper, hold start on the "vs" screen that shows both teams shortly before the fight, you will see a happy smiley, a normal one or an angry one. If it's a happy smiley, chances are high that this chara helps you, a normal smiley gives you a 50:50 chance, while a chara with an angry smiley will never help you.

It's almost always a button-mashing thing, I've only pulled it off a couple of times and that also was in situations like yours. The prerequisites are tough and they do only minimal damage, so they can not be compared to a striker attack of the later KoF games.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SonGohan:
Startin to look nice. Good to see it evolving before our eyes. Now for the artwork section, like under Takuma, we should keep it strictly kof 98 Takuma artwork. Thing is, is it just going to be screenshots (a la Gamest Mook where it shows taunts, dizzy, etc), or is it going to be official drawn art?
Agreed, the artwork should be game-exclusive. What to put in? I'm thinking of shots of his stances, ending pictures and gallery pics/unused art, about 6 to 8 pics per chara.

Btw., if you have cool graphics, banners, pics, etc. that could spice up the whole thing, just send it/point me to it, I will put it in.

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
Yuri:
Jump D(make it a cross-over)->c.B->c.B->c.A->DP+C->DP+C(follow-up).

Jump D->stand C->qcf,hcb+B/D DM

My standard Iori combo:
Jump cross-over kick->crouch B->stand B->F+A->deadly flowers or the maiden masher DM.

To get the stand B to connect from a crouch B, you have got to do it fast and time it well.I assume you all know this already. :D

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Just finished 20 combos.

Do you want the shots of each combo stacked up as a single image (like Songohan did) or do you want me to send them to you guys as seperate images?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Diavle18:
Just finished 20 combos.

Do you want the shots of each combo stacked up as a single image (like Songohan did) or do you want me to send them to you guys as seperate images?
Separate images. SonGohan's are separate as well, he just didn't space them out so it looks like one pic.

Keep it up, boys!

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
If you guys want help I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.

Just give me a specific character to work on and I can pump out some screenshots for you.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Average Joe:
If you guys want help I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.

Just give me a specific character to work on and I can pump out some screenshots for you.
The original idea was to create combos descriptions and pics for every combo in this thread. SonGohan already started making them for Andy, Terry, Kim and Takuma, but I don't know what chara Diavle is working on at the mo.

But yep, any helping hand is welcome.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I've got this weekend off from work and nothing to do, so I'll see if I can do a little to help you guys out.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'm not very good at making banners or anything like that. It's all I can do just to make screenshots and videos :D I will keep doing that though, but want to see what Diavle has so I don't try and do anything he's already done.

Did the videos work for you AJ?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Man I'm so bored.. Went ahead and did one for Robert :)

<a href="http://snkguitarist.com/combos/robert/combo01/" target="_blank">http://snkguitarist.com/combos/robert/combo01/</a>

*EDIT - Just realized you could chain it with a DP + C for an extra hit.. re-doing it..

*Another EDIT - Re-done :)

<small>[ July 08, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: SonGohan ]</small>

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
SonGohan:
Man I'm so bored.. Went ahead and did one for Robert :)

<a href="http://snkguitarist.com/combos/robert/combo01/" target="_blank">http://snkguitarist.com/combos/robert/combo01/</a>

*EDIT - Just realized you could chain it with a DP + C for an extra hit.. re-doing it..

*Another EDIT - Re-done :)
Already did this one, I followed it up with a DP+K though.

I did combos for the following characters so far:

- Takuma (1)
- O.Chris (6) [from your post Takumaji]
- Shingo (3)
- Kyo (3)
- O.Yashiro (2)
- Andy (1)
- Billy (1)

Can't remember more. I;m trying to cover as many characters as possible so we atleast have a combo or two per character when the site opens.

Personally I think we should do 2001 after this (or at the same time). This way we cover the best of both sagas (although, I hope we do all strikerless combos).

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
SonGohan:
I'm not very good at making banners or anything like that. It's all I can do just to make screenshots and videos :D I will keep doing that though, but want to see what Diavle has so I don't try and do anything he's already done.

Did the videos work for you AJ?
Yeah, I got them to work,

Nice job :)

I just did a quick guide with Joe, screenshots and everything.

Jump D, Standing C, Forward + B, HCF + K

Quick and easy is best suited for me wink

Actually took a good portion of time to capture everything and write it all out. But it was pretty fun and I'll see I can't churn out a few more today for your worthy cause.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
How are you and Diavle gonna show your combos? Do you have a site you're going to throw them up on? I'm interested in seeing what you two have done.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
SonGohan:
How are you and Diavle gonna show your combos? Do you have a site you're going to throw them up on? I'm interested in seeing what you two have done.
I thought we were suppose to send them to Takumaji because he is the one in charge of doing the site. I can send whatever I have done so far to either of you via msn or mirc.

BTW just did a few more:

- Saiysu (2)
- Andy (1 more)
- Robert (1 more)
- Heidern (1)

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Average Joe:

You can do his QCF QCB+P DM/SDM instead of the HCF+K as well. Also, in the corner, his QCF QCF+P DM (the SDM won't work) will connect after the F+B.

<small>[ July 08, 2003, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Ah, I was just wondering cause I checked his site and there weren't any updates from yesterday. What mirc server/channel you hang on? I'm interested in seeing these.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Diavle18:
Average Joe:

You can do his QCF QCB+P DM/SDM instead of the HCF+K as well. Also, in the corner, his QCF QCF+P DM (the SDM won't work) will connect after the F+B.
Yeah, I was playing around with those as well.

I like the corner one, I'll probably do that one next.