KOF 98 Combos

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Numbers, ie 236=qcf, 214=qcb, etc are extremely common in Asia, especially in small-run, non-mainstream publications. The system has nothing to do with "playing on a keyboard." The reason it's employed at all is that people speaking disparate languages can all understand that the numbers are stand-ins for joystick motions that don't assume one speaks a particular language, and are used when it's either impossible or impractical to use arrows.

Like it or not, acronyms like qcf, dp, etc, mean nothing to someone whose English isn't great, and are difficult to figure out for people who don't have a familiarity with English-language fighting game lingo. It's just another system used to denote the same thing and it's not difficult to read after a bit of exposure.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
--Heavy D!

normal version:
standing D -> f+A -> qcb,hcf+C (9 hits)

opponent cornered:
standing D -> standing A -> f+A -> qcb,hcf+C (10 hits)

crouching B -> standing A -> f+A -> dp+A (7 hits)

Heavy D! has the most chain combos in KoF98, so it's best to experiment a bit with them, it's awesome what he can do.

--Vice

standing A -> f+A -> qcb+C (3 hits, 2 rush hits)

standing A -> f+A -> hcf+B (3 hits, 2 rush hits. If you feel brave and your opponent isn't the quickest, you can immediately follow it up with a super-jump towards the opp. and pull off her qcfx2+P DM very shortly before landing)

jumping C -> qcb+K (in air) -> hcbx2+K (about 5 hits, no rush hits, but all moves combo/connect)

--Joe

jumping A -> f+B -> dp+B (3 hits)

crouching C -> f+B -> qcf,hcb+C (13 hits)

jumping B -> standing C -> tap C rapidly -> qcf+C finisher -> qcf,hcb+C (pseudo-juggle, 11+ hits, this is a very tricky and risky combo tho, only the last hits of the DM connect. Don't pull it off against skilled grapplers)

--Mai

jumping C -> qcb+C (in air) (2 hits)

f+B -> standing C -> dp+B (3 hits, timing is tricky)

f+B -> D+C -> qcfx2+C (3+3 hits)

...to be continued.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Greatest thread EVAR!!

Keep it coming, I think I'm going to have to fire 98 up again soon... :D

Shining Kooksu

Zero's Secretary
SonGohan:
Hmmm.. Haven't found a good position where you could end it with an Overkill Geyser though :( If I'm in the middle of the screen then they don't get all of it, if I'm in the corner they don't get all of it (but they get more than being in mid screen). So I guess best option would just to stick with power geyser.
If you Jump in D, Stand C, then do the Overkill Geyser(qcb,db,f+A/C), it will work, but you have to be in the middle of the stage, or with your back to the corner.

I get tired of doing jump-ins, plus they are hard to do on the computer properly. So, here is another way to do some simple combos that still do decent damage.

Terry:
A+B+C, AB roll right next to opponent, C(only let it hit once), f+A, qcb,db,f+A/C

Athena:
A+B+C, AB roll right next to opponent, C/D, f+B, qcf,qcf+B/D

Orochi Chris:(opponent has to be just out of reach)
A+B+C, qcf+A/C, qcb,hcf+A/C

These are all very simple combos, so you guys probably already knew them. These just tend to work for me more often than jumping in.

<small>[ June 26, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Shining Kooksu ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
gmw:
Numbers, ie 236=qcf, 214=qcb, etc are extremely common in Asia, especially in small-run, non-mainstream publications. The system has nothing to do with "playing on a keyboard." The reason it's employed at all is that people speaking disparate languages can all understand that the numbers are stand-ins for joystick motions that don't assume one speaks a particular language, and are used when it's either impossible or impractical to use arrows.

Like it or not, acronyms like qcf, dp, etc, mean nothing to someone whose English isn't great, and are difficult to figure out for people who don't have a familiarity with English-language fighting game lingo. It's just another system used to denote the same thing and it's not difficult to read after a bit of exposure.
Hey cool, well, this is an English-speaking board. If I fire up a topic in the international section, then I'll be worried about numbers. If you're looking out of the international section then I'm assuming you know what q's, b's, and c's are.

To quote my dear friend

kernow:
numbers complicate matters
:D

BTW, thanks to everybody who's posted in here. Some combos I haven't thought about trying. Time for some more '98 goodness.. I think Takuma is becoming my favorite character over Kim now :(

*EDIT - @Shining Kooksu - I was talking about rolling the Overkill Geyser off of a F + A, which you can connect, but you won't receive the full hits from the super. It is best to only try it off of C :)

<small>[ June 26, 2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: SonGohan ]</small>

kiun

Zero's Tailor
kof 98 favorite combos

Ryo:
jp D, hp, qcb P (buffer), dp+p

Takuma (works with Heavy D! too):
crouch lk, crouch lp, f + lp, dm (rushing one)

and of course Clark !
jp D, half circle back + heavy P (press heavy P before finishing half circle motion), then finish with half circle back + heavy P for Clark's SDM (Works in MAX mode too) :D

98 is easily my fave KOF (too bad it has no ending)

Shining Kooksu

Zero's Secretary
SonGohan:
*EDIT - @Shining Kooksu - I was talking about rolling the Overkill Geyser off of a F + A, which you can connect, but you won't receive the full hits from the super. It is best to only try it off of C )
Oh ok cool :)

<small>[ June 26, 2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Shining Kooksu ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
--Mature

jumping B -> f+A x2 -> qcb+P x3 (13/11 hits)*

d+B -> d+A -> standing A -> dp+P (9/7 hits)*

jumping B -> qcfx2+A (7/5 hits)*

standing D -> qcb,hcf+K (3 hits)

---
* Mature's jumping B delivers two hits if you time your jump right. Make sure you directly jump on top of your opponent, not in front or behind him. 13/11 means that the combo hits 13 times if the jumping B comes out correctly, or 11 times if it only hits once.

...to be continued.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Do you have a guide/faq written somewhere, Takumaji? Seems you're churning out combos faster than I can reply :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I have a box full of loose bits of papers with a lot of combos that I found out over the years, photocopied pages of Mooks, a few faqs and the KoF98 cart always in reach!

I will post most of the stuff here, before that I want to confirm every combo in practice mode (with and without opponent guard)... some combos are barely readable, I don't want to post non-working crap... one of my cats must have used the box as a cat litter... ...or perhaps those dried orange stains are juice, I don't remember... eek_2

Time to put it all in a nice text file I guess.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
A Combo for Bedtime...

*yawns

Last update for a couple of hours... :D

---Lucky Glauber

standing C -> qcb+B -> qcfx2+A (as soon as the rush hint counter shows 5 and starts to flash, pull off the DM. It doesn't really count, but comes out immediately after the Cyclone Break.)

Lucky has a simple but funny mini-DM-combo, it's

qcf+A -> qcfx2+A

The basket ball hits the opponent, and while it jumps away, the DM comes out. Looks good.

---Saisyu

standing C (cancel after the first hit) -> f+A -> qcb+A x2 -> qcb,hcf+A (hold to delay until opponent stands up) (4 hits + DM, takes away more than 50%, but you will get your ass beaten if you miss with the DM)

qcb+C -> qcb+A -> (with a very small delay) dp+A (juggle, 3 hits. Good damage, very flashy, but timing for the dp+A bit is evil)

jumping B -> standing C -> f+A -> qcb+A x2 -> jumping B (juggle, 6+1 hits, also not too easy to use, I only managed it 2 times out of 5 to do the juggle. Strangely, I couldn't for the life of me juggle with dp+P.)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
good work, I'll be printing these out, and trying them after work tomorrow.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Takumaji,

On the Saisyu combos I can't cancel the qcb + A from the F + A. Is this possible? Or is it my shitty pad that's not letting me do it? I've tried timing it several different ways and I still can't get it to connect.

Also, your other combo, the qcb + C, qcb + A, DP + A does not work for me at all. The DP + A goes right through the opponent and doesn't hit them, and I've tried timing this several different ways as well.

Maybe it's this shitty pad that won't let me do the stuff I want, but for the most part I was able to get other combos down pretty easily..

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SonGohan:
Takumaji,

On the Saisyu combos I can't cancel the qcb + A from the F + A. Is this possible? Or is it my shitty pad that's not letting me do it? I've tried timing it several different ways and I still can't get it to connect.

Also, your other combo, the qcb + C, qcb + A, DP + A does not work for me at all. The DP + A goes right through the opponent and doesn't hit them, and I've tried timing this several different ways as well.

Maybe it's this shitty pad that won't let me do the stuff I want, but for the most part I was able to get other combos down pretty easily..
I've confirmed every combo I posted before, so yes, the qcb+A x2 does combo and gives rush hits, you have to pull it off very quick. Also, make sure that you cancel the standing C into the f+A on the first hit, if the standing C hits twice, you will be tossed away and the qcb+A will still combo, but not connect. I admit that it's tricky to do the qcb+A x2 after the f+A, but you can do the qcb+A x2 immediately after the standing C as well, just skip the f+A bit.

The dp+A is another beast, yes, it does combo/juggle, but as I wrote, timing is monstrous. As I know that you're a musician, imagine a 4/4 groove with quarter notes on the first three bars. Now, the first two (qcb+C and qcb+A) are rhythmic, while the last note, the dp+A, is slightly "off", with a minimal pause/delay before, perhaps that helps.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
yeah the saisyu combo's do work. so far all the takumaji combos ive seen are for real.

saisyu's QCB+C x2 can jugle after but the A version i cant jugle ( maybe its just me). and you cant jugle with dp C only with A and opponent must be close. just try it in the corner and see.

ima play the game again and see what i still can remember.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
MUSOLINI:
so far all the takumaji combos ive seen are for real. [...]
...certainly, they existed...

Here are more of them, fresh out-of-the-box ... it's weird if you can't read your own handwriting anymore.

--Chang

jumping A -> standing A - tap A rapidly (3 hits)

jumping B -> crouching B -> charge d,u+B (3+ hits, depending on where you use it)

standing D -> df+A (2 hits)

jumping B -> standing A -> qcfx2+A (3 hits + DM)

--Ryo

jumping A -> crouching B -> f+B -> hcb+B (5 hits)

crouching B -> standing B -> dp+C (4 hits)

crouching A -> standing A -> (close) hcf+C (6 hits)

jumping C -> d+C -> qcb+C (4 hits)

A little bit of Ryo strat:
standing A -> (close) hcf+A (knockdown) -> super-jump back -> qcf+D -> qcf,hcb+C (hits? a lot)

--Leona

jumping A -> crouching A -> charge d,u+C (3 hits)

crouching A -> charge d,u+A (2 hits)

standing D -> f+B -> qcb,hcf+B (3 hits + DM)

--Andy

4-hits variant:
jumping B -> crouching A -> df+A

5-hits variant (difficult)
jumping B -> crouching A -> df+A -> db,f+A (push the stick to db immediately after the first hit of the df+A comes out)

(corner) jumping B -> standing A -> hcf+A -> juggle with dp+C as soon as your opponent starts to fall (13 hits, will end up with 11/12 hits if you pull off the dp+C too fast)

standing C -> qcb,hcf+B (4/9 hits normal/corner)

jumping B -> standing A -> db,f+A (3 hits, one of Andy's classic combos)

standing B -> hcf+C -> qcb,hcf+B (7 hits)

...to be continued.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Here's more stuff, this time for Orochi Chris and Iori. O.Chris is a blast to play, not that versatile, but very quick and blessed with a lot of high-damage moves. His combos are really nice and not hard to pull off, but it's important to know where NOT to use certain stuff, some moves have big lags/startup-time, for ex. the qcf+P projectiles and the dp+C.

Iori, well, what can I say, our moon-howling friend is exceptionally strong in KoF98 (as always), so are his combos. The ones I tested and transcribed from my combo collection are only the tip of the iceberg, there are prolly more elaborated ones, but sometimes timing needs mad skills. One involves comboing a f+A into a hcb+B which is a good example for that. It's a nice lil' combo, but you will notice that it's not easy to do, just try it out a couple of times (against a guarding dummy).

Btw., the generous buffering of the 98 engine is a very good feature that helps a lot when pulling off some of the trickier combos, but it can also cause undesired effects. For ex. if you want to combo Iori's f+A into a qcf+A projectile, the combo will end up with a dp+A (the flaming dragon punch) if you don't release the stick to neutral position IMMEDIATELY after the f+A hits.

Ok...

--Orochi Chris

standing A -> f+A -> qcb+C (3 hits)

Normal version:
crouching B -> standing A -> f+A -> dp+C (7 hits)

DM version:
crouching B -> standing A -> f+A -> qcb,hcf+A (4 hits + DM, when the DM starts, IMMEDIATELY release A to connect the DM, otherwise it will come out delayed and won't count as fourth hit)

jumping D -> crouching B -> standing B -> f+B (5 hits)

(corner) standing C -> f+B -> qcb+C (4 hits)

jumping B -> d+C -> f+B (4 hits)

crouching B -> standing B -> f+A -> hcf+B (9 hits)

--Iori

standing C -> f+A -> qcb+C (3 hits)

standing A -> f+A x2 -> qcb+P x3 (6 hits)

standing A -> f+A -> dp+A (3 hits)

jumping B -> standing A -> f+A -> qcf,hcb+C (11 hits)

standing B -> f+A -> qcf+C (3 hits)

jumping D -> standing A -> qcb+A (3 hits)

standing B -> f+A -> hcb+B (4 hits)

...to be continued.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Robert:

jD, sC, f+B, QCF QCB+P (exellent combo, I use it often, insane damage especially in MAX mode)

cB,cB, dp+K

sC, QCF+K, (time right) f+B, dp+K (flashy)

jD, sC, f+A, QCB+K (CORNER)

Terry:

cA, QCB+B

cB, cA, dp+B

cB, cA, QCF+K*2

cA, df+C, DP+C or QCB+A or QCF+A or Power Geyser (easy and powerful, use often)

cA, df+C, QCF+B, dp+P

jD, sC, f+A, QCF+B, dp+K (both hits connect)(flashy)

Shingo:

cB, cA, QCF+A ( his most useful in battle combo imo)

jD, sC, QCF+P (another standard combo)

jD, sC, QCF*2+P, [followed by] QCF+A (powerful!)

sB, sA, dp+K (that close kick move), [followed by] QCF+A (works anywhere) (flashy)

O.Yashiro:

sA, QCF+P, (wait) CD

sA, HCB+f+P

jD, sC, f+A or f+B, HCF+B or HCB+f+P or QCF+P, (wait) CD or QCB*2+P (easy and powrful, standard combo)

Keep up the great work Takumaji!

<small>[ June 29, 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Takuma :

Jump in D, starts charging, crouched C, Hien Shippukiaku then Zanretsuken.

17 Hits. buttrock

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Atrophyed:
Takuma :

Jump in D, starts charging, crouched C, Hien Shippukiaku then Zanretsuken.

17 Hits. buttrock
spock

Thats on page 1!

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Takuma:

cB, cB, f+B, QCF QCB+A (best in battle combo imo)

Heidern:

jD, sC (2 hits), f+B (1 hit), QCB+QCF+K (friggin easy and takes like 90% in MAX mode)

Andy:

jD, sC, HCF+C, (timing) run up df+A, super jump+CD (flashy and poweful, 50% normal and 70% MAX mode)

<small>[ June 29, 2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Diavle18 ]</small>

CHRiZ-77

Gal Ageise's Demon
WoW!!!

Nice Combos, aren´t they...

Have to practise this legendary Fighters much more... drool_2

Btw, for the numbers, just take a look at your keyboard, on the right side...

For example:
qcf = 236
gcb = 214
forward DP = 623
backward DP = 421
5 stands 4 center!!!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Tactics & Tips

--Combos with DMs in 98

There's this thing called super-cancelling, which means cancelling a normal-, command- or special move into a (S)DM. The move suddenly stops, you see a blue flash and the DM comes out. This is part of any later KoF, but in 98, you can only combo into (S)DMs, not cancel into them, which makes timing more important because you have less time to input the DM command. Normally, if you start the DM while the last move of the combo is about to hit, it will combo, but that's not the case with every chara and every DM, some of them can only be used stand-alone. As a rule of thumb, most rush-in DMs (Ryuuko Ranbu-style) are good for comboing.

Here, the buffering comes in handy. With it, you can use short-cuts of certain moves. For example, if your chara has a f+A command move and a dp+A uppercut, the combo would read:

f+A -> dp+A

But since you already have a forward-movement of the stick, the engine remembers it and counts it for the dp as well, so the short-cut reads:

f+A -> d,df+A

This makes it easier to combo into the uppercut because you can do a short f+A -> qcf+A instead of the more difficult f+A -> f,d,df+A command. Of course buffering can be used to make comboing into DMs easier.

--Sparring tips

I already wrote that it's best to set the dummy guard to on because then you can confirm that the combo does indeed combo/connect if you are able to land all hits consecutively, else the dummy will guard immediately and your combo ends. In a real fight situation, your opponent would have a good chance for a counter now.

If you simply can't figure out a way to counter a certain opponent's attack (for ex. one of Goro's many command throws), let the CPU help you. Of course the CPU is always weaker than good 2P action, but it's interesting what it lets your opponents do at times. Just choose the chara whose attack you want to counter and use this attack against the CPU on lvl 8 continously, then watch what the CPU charas do against it and try that out later on.

--Grapplers

They dominate 98 because most of them have easy command throws that do a lot of damage. Shermie, Goro, Clark, they all have one thing in common: They can be annoying as hell. If a grappler user is able to throw you out of your combos or reverse/counter your main combos/tacticts, you've already lost. To overcome good grapplers, it's important to become familiar with them first. Practise them to get a feeling for the best throwing distance and when and where to do reversals, specially goro's. You will notice that using grapplers needs good timing and rhythm.

The key is to 'spoil the groove' of a grappler player. If he waits for your attack, well, throw a few projectiles or try dash-in attacks, avoid to jump or roll in the first few seconds. Then keep your block up for counters and rush-in attacks and try to play a counter/hit-and-run game. Keep your combos very short because a missed one will get you thrown, thus you loose initiative. Charas like Takuma that are good for both melee and screen-wide attacks are my main weapon against grapplers, I just cut the charge db,f+P in favour of more projectiles.

Grapplers dominate opponents that have very obvious tacticts or use a typical set of moves/combos all the time. For ex. a Goro player would quickly throw you out of your fave jumping attacks with a hcf+A throw or reverse most of your crouching sweeps with qcf+K, so try to be creative and keep moving.

Darren

n00b
Terry:

Jump in with D, standing C, f+A, qcf + A or C / qcb + B / qcb + K

Jump in with D, standing C, f+A, hcf + P, f,d,df + C

Jump in with D, crouching C, qcb + D, f,d,df + C

MAX MODE: Jump in with D, standing C, f+A, qcf x 2 + B

Andy:

Jump in with D, crouching C (helps if you hold down back), f + P then qcf + p.

Jump in with D, crouching B, A, *then F + P, qcf +P
(*hold down back again this acts as the charge move to execute the zaniken)

Crouching B, A, df + A into qcb + P

Jump in with D, standing C, f+B, *qcf + K, then P or K
(*you have to perform the qcf + K as you are in mid air from the f+A)

Max mode: Jump in with D/C, standing C, hcf + p, *df + A into qcb,hcf + K.
(*you must catch the opponent as they are comming down with the df + A for the full combo to work.)

Ralf:

Max mode: Jump in with D/C, standing C (hold back), then f + P, qcf x 2 + A = instant death!!!

Saisyu:
Jump in with D, standing C, f + A, f,d,df + P

Jump in with D, standing C, f + A, qcf + P

Jump in with D, standing C, f + A, qcb x 2 + A then f,d,df + P

Jump in with D, standing C, f + A, hcb + A

Jump in with B, crouching B, A, qcf + C, *hcb + B (*the hcb + B will not connect with the rest of the combo but is an additional ultra quick attack, that will catch people off their guard)

Max mode: Jump in with D, standing C, f + A, qcf x 2 + P.

Jump in with D, standing C, f + A, hcb,qcf + A then press taunt!!

95' Kyo:

Jump in with B, crouching B, A, qcf + C, *b,d,db + K or f,d,df +P (*the hcb + B/dp + P will not connect with the rest of the combo but is an additional ultra quick attack, that will catch people off their guard.)

Jump in D, standing C/D, f + B, qcf + P or hcb + K

Jump in D, standing C/D, f + B, b,d,db + K

Jump in D, standing C/D, qcf + K,K then b,d,db + K or f,d,df + P or hcb + P or qcb,hcf + P

Combo for the com: Jump in D, standing C/D, qcf + K,K, jump D, (and as opponent is about to land)standing C into qcf + K,K. Repeat from standing C or finish with f,d,df + P or b,d,db + K or qcb,hcf + P