A call for information on Hyper64!!!

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
There seems to be alot of interest in the Hyper64 boards as of late, and I would like to see if we can pool some info. It looks like there are two versions of the Hyper 64 board at least. The version I have is an earlier one, please look here:

<a href="http://www.mindspring.com/~xhopex/hyper64/" target="_blank">Hyper64 images</a>

There was also some talk of a Hyper64 board that would only play Samurai Spirits games. Anybody know for sure?

As far as I can tell, you have to use the external speaker connectors on this board, as I could not get sound out of a MVS or a Jamma harness. Also, I got no coin up on the MVS harness which leads me to believe that -5v is required for coin up which would come from the external power connection for a MVS cab.

Second, the test button on the MVS harness is in a different location, so a button has to be connected at what would be "coin3" on a MVS harness and grounded.

Next is the issue of external connectors. There are quite a few external connectors on the motherboard that are not mentioned in the manual. Also, there is one "speaker/power" pinout in the manual that runs in a straight line as opposed to the two squares for the external speaker and power connectors. Can anybody shed light on those?

Lastly (for the moment) what about the 4 dip switches on the bottom of the PCB? Again, no mention in the manual.

In talking with RevQuixo, he has a later version board that has some different external connectors and a Jamma/MVS switch on the bottom of the PCB.

Please add anything you can to get a good knowledge base going and I will be happy to post it all to <a href="http://www.hardMVS.com" target="_blank">hardMVS</a> with any pictures that I can get.

Thanks!

[ May 14, 2002: Message edited by: Briggs ]

[ May 14, 2002: Message edited by: Briggs ]</p>

Briggs

Ok, so most of the info I was looking for was in earlier posts. Here is a recap, please let me know if you see any errors or can add anything:

First off, there are multiple versions of the Hyper64 board:

1) Driving game board
2) Shooting game board
3) US board
4) Japanese board

The Driving and Shooting boards will not play the Fighting games and the US and Jap boards will not play the Shooter and Driving games.

The US board or Revision 1 board is not 100% Jamma. It does require that the speakers be run off the external connector just under the Jamma connector. The volume is on the front of the board.

The Japanese board has a Jamma/MVS switch on the bottom that will give you Mono through the harness or Stereo off the external connector. The volume is a thumbwheel on the PCB.

It is recommeded that the US board be run with the external power connector, as it may draw too much power through the Jamma connector and ruin the board after a year or two.

The Japanese board is fine to be run off the Jamma harness.

Both the US or the Japanese board need to have a Test button wired up to access the soft DIP settings. This button should be wired to pin 15 on the Jamma harness and to ground.

The 4 DIP switches on the bottom of the board do nothing for the Fighting games. They may be used for the Shooting games or more likely the LCD screen on some cabinets.

Both the Japanese and US boards can play the games in English and Japanese through the soft DIP settings.

That's all I have for now, did I miss anything?

[ May 14, 2002: Message edited by: Briggs ]</p>

Briggs

Here are the specs:

Processor:64-bit RISC Chip
w/4Mb RAM and 64Mb Program memory built locally near CPU
Graphics---
Color Palette:TotalAmount of Colors-16.7 Million
Maximum of Colors Simultaneously-4,096
3D Branch:Vertex Memory-96Mb, Texture Memory-16Mb(maximum)
2D Sprite Branch:60 frames per second animation
Character Memory-128Mb
Main functions--Scaling, montage, chain, mosaic, mesh, action,up/down, right/left reverse
2D Scrolling Branch:
Number of Game Planes--4
Character Memory-64Mb
Main functions--Scaling, revolution, morphing; horizontal/vertical
screen partitioning and line scrolling
Sound--- Channels--32
Maximum Sampling Frequency--44.1 KHz
Wavetable RAM--32Mb

Briggs

Forgot to list the games:

Driving:
Off Beat Racer
Round Trip RV

Shooting:
Beast Busters

Fighting:
Buriki One
Samurai Spirits64
Samurai Spirits 2
Wild Ambition

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
The new Japanese Jamma + board plugs straight into a Jamma Harness, and no external wiring is need. I just got it on Saturday, and man is it nice! There are two switches under the board: one for stereo/mono, and one for Jamma mode/MVS mode. The other 4 of 4 dips seem to have no effect, so I can't say for sure what they do, execpt one flips the screen. I Use a Signma 7000, and you can get stereo through the harness with no extra wiring. You just need to turn up the volume on the board itself, located next to the Jamma connectors.

The other ports are for the digital camera, link cabel, Guns and LCD/vertical screens. Yes, you need to have a test switch wired up to access the options and test mode.

Hope this helps!

[ May 14, 2002: Message edited by: Verbatum ]</p>

Briggs

I also found that when I plugged my US Hyper64 board into my MVS cab, it would not coin up. I tried it in a Jamma cab and it worked fine. Then I tried it in my other MVS cab which has a -5v line in it and it worked fine so it appears that a -5v line is required for the coin up to work. Can anybody else confirm this?

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I have a 2nd revision board running in Jamma configuration and I can access the test button through the normal Jamma pin...no extra wiring was required for my cab. Now if I did switch to 2 channel MVS mode that's when the test switch goes inactive

Briggs

Right. It is the normal test button for Jamma. If you have a true Jamma harness with a test button you are all set.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Briggs ,

My Japanese Hyper 64 board is SOJ ((sound on Jamma)) no need for external speakers , and it also has 3 more connectors in the front than your model does , (5 in total) I am hoping that this means that it is compatible with the shooting/racing games .

I currently have Samurai Spirits 1 and 2 for it
so I know it can play them .

the model is (LVS-MA)

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
hyper64.jpg

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Pretty sure all those ports on the front are for the LCD screen, digital camera, and the other items mentioned by verbatum in his post. AFAIk, the driving and shooting games ONLY work on their respective boards...and those boards will not play the fighting games.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Incidently, briggs, the Japanese (revision 2) board will also give you stereo though the harness if it is in MVS mode.

so it provides

jamma- mono
mvs- 2 channel stereo
external plug - 2 channel stereo

Also it should be noted that the external stereo plug on the revision 2 board while looking a heck of a lot like the 4 pin external plug on the MVS boards actualy requires a smaller type of plug to insert onto the board.....which is a shame for compatibility. In truth, I'm not 100% sure that the 4 pin plug is in fact external stereo, but since it is located right next to the volume thumbwheel it makes sense.

If anyone with Japanese skills (my kanji is far to incomplete) can translate the items on retrogamers pics, that'd be muy importante in identifying all of the pin outs on the board.

DarkskyZ

NEST Puppet
Well, I think I have th correct translated manual for this mobo version on my <a href="http://www.darkskyz.fr.st" target="_blank">web page</a>

I am not at home so I cant' check, just have a look there...

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
on the same note , I have another hyper 64 board that does not work properly with my Samurai Spirits games . I thought it was just broken .

Could it be that this board is designed for the other games besides the fighters ?

It displays the 2D images fine but the 3D polys are all screwed up .

I seriously doubt it its probably just busted .

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Originally posted by DarkskyZ:
<strong>Well, I think I have th correct translated manual for this mobo version on my <a href="http://www.darkskyz.fr.st" target="_blank">web page</a>

I am not at home so I cant' check, just have a look there...</strong><hr></blockquote>

You have the English Revision 1 board.

We are Looking for the info on the Revison 2 board...which seeing as it only came out in Japan, only has a Japanese manual. Thanks for the manual though, I'm sure Revison 1 board people will find it useful.

Briggs

I found this older post which looks like it corresponds with the manual picture above. Can anybody confirm this or add to it?

Scotman_jp
New Challenger

Member # 581
posted April 21, 2001 05:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes the Hyper neogeo was released in the states,and is slightly different to the japanese model.
My motherboard is Japanese,3 out of the 4 titles are japanese.With Warriors Rage being The US title.

Ok my grasp of Kanji is really basic,but i do now the Kana syllabus .SO heres a rough translation of various text.

(page 3- from top to bottom)

Main unit

1)Dimensions
2)weight
3)power input/output
4)56 pin card electrical connector-jamma compatible
5)Hyper neogeo64 input cassette
6)?
7)operable temperature 5C~35C

States that there is three types of hyper neogeo 64 main units.
This board is the general motherboard and the following games will not work-

Road trip RV
Off Beat racer
Beat busters Second nightmare.

---------------------------------
(page 5-- main unit schematic)

1)56 pin card electrical connector jamma compatible
2)Hyper neogeo 64 input cassette slots
3)Versus harness connector
4)Secure clip
5)Volume control
6)Jamma/MVS switch A
7)Jamma/MVS switch B
8)?
9-12)?(its hard to imagine that these are sound outputs,but they have the same kanji as the stereo output)
13)Dip switch
14)Push bar
15)stereo connector

And the rest of the pages are pretty self explainitory.

My Japanese isnt really that advanced but i hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Scotman_jp (edited April 21, 2001).]

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Indeed that is the LVS-MA (revision 2) board. I seriously doubt 9-12 are stereo connections as there are about 50 pins there, but everything else looks about right.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Briggs your find of the page 5 info corresponds with the Manual page I posted .

I can scan the rest of the manual if you want me to

[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: Retrogamer ]</p>

Briggs

Sure, that would be great. It seems like the main question is the connectors on the front. Can anybody decipher the Japanese for the 9-12 connectors?

Can somebody post a closeup of the Japanese writing for those connectors so we can get a good look at it?