1st Impressions

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
I got this thing in tonight and have been playing it A LOT.

I really don't like 3D fighters and I honestly had pretty low expectations for this system :( . I just didn't expect it to be nearly as fun as the MVS. But I had heard some good things about it, and since for the price of one homecart I could get a new motherboard + 3 new games, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Well, unfortunately I ended up getting a nasty censored version of SS64. Other than that, everything was in great condition and complete and looked new.

I played SS64 for a little bit but got discussed at the nasty Korean announcer and censorship :( . It seemed pretty decent, but it's definitely the weakest of the 3.

After that I played some SS2 and that's pretty darn good. I'm still not a fan of floaty 3D fighting games, but this one is Sam Sho, so I can make an exception :) . The graphics are real solid in this game and the game is pretty darn fun. I love those backgrounds!

After that I popped in Fatal Fury. This game is probably my favorite of the three. It plays fast, like a Real Bout game and sports some amazing graphics. The Hyper sure does some nice BGs! The character models are also pretty solid. I've been playing this game to death.

This system is much much better than what I was expecting!

Overall, I'm pretty happy. I'm going to see if Vektorlogic will replace my SS64. We'll see. If so, I'll be 100% satisfied!

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
thanks for sharing this with us ............ but does FF:WA play like the PSOne vesion ?

Mystery

Sakura's Bank Manager
k'_127: The Hyper version of FFWA plays a lot better than the PSX port. The PSX port is missing loads of combos, but has two more characters.
I prefer the Hyper Version with better gameplay and WAY better sound and 2d+3d graphics.

Galford: Sorry to hear that you got the korean SS6. Gameplay-wise it's not the worst Hyper game but with all these missing elements it's sure the least fun to play with.
SS2:WR is a really great game with amazing atmosphere and the most decent gameplay in any Samurai Spirits game (only the AI should've been a bit more challanging....beating the game on Hardest isn't really hard at all).

FatalFury is also a very nice game with good fighting atmosphere and cool hires-2D-backgrounds (not animated in the psx version)...although I like it very much it's my least favourite since I personally think that it's gameplay ain't decent enough. Try to unlock Xiangfei by finishing the game with all characters including Geese (and so you'll also unlock Geese's secret costume!).
But that doesn't mean that FFWA is a bad game...it's still great, but I prefer the other Hyper fighting games.

You should also get BurikiOne...it's an amazing game with truly unique gameplay.

The Hyper is a very underestimated system...everyone who sees the phantastic 2D backgrounds of SSWR says: 'That looks fucking great!'. And the characters are well animated, too and look more than acceptable. Much better than any PSX 3D-game character IMO....I'd say somewhere between PSX+DC.

Oh, btw: What marquees, stickers... did you get? I'm just curious :)

Anyway...congratulations on getting your Hyper64...don't be too angry about your SS64...it's still a phantastic game, gameplay-wise and you should give it a try everytime you're bored with your other two games *g*

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I really liked FF:WA for PS , I didn't expect it to be that fun (nearest 3D fighter to 2D in terms of gameplay depth) ......... If they had made more games like these they would reach the perfection of 2D fighters by this time

Mystery

Sakura's Bank Manager
If you like FFWA for the PSX, you'll love FWA for the HNG64....well....then you'll love all of the HNG64 fighting games!

Galford Forever

I posted some pics on my website under the "collections" page. It's of the Hyper motherboard, SS2 kit, and a picture of FF in action (it's a bit grainy though :( ). Just in case anyone was interested....

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Yeah, SS 64 2 was the game that I sold my entire collection for back in 1999. What a bad move. Now you can get it for $195 (game and motherboard).

But I still love the game, and I can do all of Hanzo's combo throws in bust mode.

Galford Forever

I've been playing some SS642 lately and enjoying that a lot. It's a very good game. The atmosphere is great and I love how cool the last boss is. He's kinda cheap though, but at the same time really simple... just get in close and hack away. If you get far from him though you're toast.

Anyway, great stuff. I don't know if I'd trade my entire collection for it though ;) . But at the time when it was the newest thing on the block I can understand.