ANSWER NEW FRIEND'S QUESTIONS..

HANZO

I am new, I have read all of the post and still am confused about the following.
1) Is this thee system that allows me to play Samurai Shodown 64?

2) If I buy the package from VectorLogic that includes 3 games, will that be all I need to buy in order to play them on my TV?

3) Does the package include game controlers? Or what? Does it include the red, white, yellow cables?

4) Please sum up everything about what I need to get to be able to play those three games.

5) Please give me the low down on the system, ARE you guys sure this system is like a N64? I mean it WILL work like one on my TV right? The pics of it looks like it only works with a huge ass arcade!

6) Last question, what the hell is a jamma pack and a speargun (or whatever gun), does any of these things come with the package? What exactly comes with the package?

Ion

Overtop Pathfinder
hope this helps

1) Yep it is and u can also play SamSho 64 2, Buriki 1, and FF wild ambitions.

2) Nope you will need a Jamma Harness(Supergun,Supernova etc)

3)Nope it doesnt its the motherboard and the 3 games, u need Controllers for your supergun.

4) Jamma Harness(Super Gun) the Kit from vektor logic and a controller, o and a TV
wink.gif

5) it will work on your TV np's

6) the supergun is a box that allows you to play any Jamma board game/motherboard on your TV.

for info on the supergun try www.ravengames.co.uk and www.massystems.com

HANZO

What typ of controller do I need, does the supergun or jamma pack come with them? Where can I purchase the controllers? Is this system capable with two players?

HANZO

Arrgh ok I just went to that site and now I want to know what exactly I need, ok I want a joy stick or pad that has enough buttons for the Samurai Shodown 64 game, and I want 2 of them for 2 players....so what "Deluxe" package do I order from this site? Along with what joysticks??

Ion

Overtop Pathfinder
If you are looking at Mass systems Supernova then i would do a new post in the Technical help, as u will probably get a better response there.

I can help with the Raven games 1 though.

HANZO

Wich site do you reccomend? I suggested Raven site, please tell me what I need, where to purchase it, and wich site give me the cheapest prices for the equipment, including wich controls work best with Samurai Shodown 64.

Ion

Overtop Pathfinder
Well i carnt compare the 2 as ive only got a Supergun.

But with the supergun you need a RGB Scart on your TV, apart from that all you need is a Joystick, ive never seen the Mas sticks, but i use a Converted DC stick which is great especialy if u ever want 6 button games.

Raven will supply both, but you will have 2 make the 4th botton work yourself by connecting Pin 25 on the harness to the button of your choice on the back of the super gun.

+ if you want to change the hardness, language etc, then you will also need a Test button.

apart from the Supergun and Stick all you need is the Hyper 64 from vektorlogic.

HANZO

So wich controller typ do I need to have all 4 buttons functioning properly for the Samurai Shodown 64 game?

Ion

Overtop Pathfinder
Any pad you want that is converted for the supergun, raven games can supply already converted pads/sticks but they will also convert yours for a Fee, the 4th button wiring has to be done on the actual Jamma Harness.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I went with Massystems instead of Raven, so I cannot perform any comparison, just give you some details on this option.

If you go the Massystems route instead of raven and get the standard package (supergun w/2 sticks), you can ask them give you 8-button sticks for no extra charge (hopefully they still do that). I did this and I love the sticks, they are the best I have ever used. The buttons are 4x2 horizontal configuration, so hyper/MVS is great using the top row.

2 Gotchas tho:
1: They are big. Real big. You can play with them on your lap, but you will feel strange for awhile.
2: The ones that I was sent were not wired with the Neo-Geo in mind and I had to open up the sticks and rewire the buttons. If you cannot get Massystems to put the jamma buttons in the top 4 positions, then you need some moderate soldering and wiring skillz.

(Mine were originally in positions 2,3,4, and 5... maybe there's a Capcom fan working there?)

Anyway, now let's talk options:
either
Massystems package w/stix: $295
or
Raven: dunno, check their site
plus stick conversions?

then
Vektor's Hyper64 w/3 games: $295
plus Samurai 64 II (get this!!!): $70
plus shipping from the UK: $50-70?

plus soldering gun and wiring kit: $50
(It is very difficult to own arcade hardware without getting your hands dirty. For instance, you cannot play any game on the Hyper64 from Vektor in English without either first touching a wire to pins 15 and 28 or building a test button (either through the jamma wiring itself or the supergun) on the same pins.)

Total: around $800... it is very steep for just the hyper package, I'll bet that most hyper64 owners use the supergun for the MVS as well.

At this point, you would have Samurai 64, Samurai 64 II, Buriki One, and Wild Ambition playable on your television set.

HANZO

Thank you soooooo much NEOJEDI!!!! THAT WAS ALL I EVER WANTED AND HOPFULLY NEEDED TO KNOW!!. Once question...what is MVS? And what three games will Vektor people give me?

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
MVS is the standard Neo-Geo hardware and is discussed in detail in most of the other Forums. Games include the King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, and Samurai Shodown series.

The MVS 1-slot is jamma compatible, and the multiple slot boards (that select between multiple games) can be used with jamma with a little work.

What this means to you is that if you invest money in a supergun, then for around $100 more you can get an MVS 1-slot to play Neo-Geo games such as the ones listed above. The earlier games are inexpensive, but the more recent games are not. Examples are KOF '94 for $10, KOF '96 for $25, KOF '99 for $100, and KOF 2000 for $400. MVS games are much more widely available than Hyper64, see the forums for purchasing info and pitfalls.

As for the 2nd question, Vektor will give you Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, Buriki One, and Samurai 64 I with the $295 package. They give you Samurai 64 II with the package for an additional $70 and I highly recommend that you get this; considering what you are paying to get the setup, you'd be nuts not to get the extra game.

[This message has been edited by neojedi (edited April 30, 2001).]

E

eldios10

Neojedi you are a little mistaken. Vektor lets you choose which three of the four you want. However, if you plan on buying the package, I'd suggest getting all four games because if you realize you want the fourth one later, it will cost around $200 from vektor to buy it new. Might as well bite the bullet and buy the whole package...besides then you can say you have them all (well all the fighting games at least, the other 2 or 3 are not compatible with the board) I just got mine and am waiting for my supergun to come in.....waiting sucks
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by eldios10 (edited April 30, 2001).]

HANZO

ok, I think I got all the info down, 4 more questions though.
1) Does the Hyper Neo Geo 64 System from VektorLogic come with instructions on setting it up to the tv..( if not where can I go to find out?)

2) Will this system give me the actual Samurai Shodown 64 arcade game feel?, I mean this is thee real ARCADE HARDWARE/SOFTWARE seen at arcade rooms?, right? Or will it be a downgraded version?

3) I've asked my friends about this, don't you guys think that this is all really tons of money? I know I want to do this because SNK will never ship out a home version of SS64
frown.gif

4) Since both Super Nova Package and Hyper Neo Geo 54 set are roughly the same price wich one do you guys prefer I get first? I assume the Hyper because VektorLogic says "we only have a limited number of
motherboards available as part of the offer."

E

eldios10

This is the actual system used in arcade cabs just like SS64 is the actual game. Regarding the price, it all depends how much you want it. Actually when the hyper came out it was in the thousands so 300 for an arcade board and 3 games is actually very cheap...especially for neo standards. There are other alternatives for the super gun also....mini cabs and arcade cabs cost around the same amount so you could always go that route. The hyper 64 indeed comes with instructions but there are in Japanese (I can read Japanese so thats not a problem for me but I dont know if you can) and they basically just give you info about the unit and how to set it up using the JAMMA. Also, if you dont want to spend the money, there are always the psx ports although there are not nearly as good as the original. Hope this helps
smile.gif

E

eldios10

Also, the people at Vektor are very friendly and will answer all questions for you
smile.gif
I highly recommend them.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the correction eldios10, I wanted all 4 from the beginning so I didn't ask Vektor whether they'd allow substitutions in the 3-game deal. A reputation for infallibility is a moving target in these forums.
biggrin.gif

As for the final questions:
1: The hyper64 instructions are in Japanese (see other topics in this forum for rants and/or workarounds) but the only vital connection for the hyper64 is the 56-pin jamma connection and that plugs right into the supergun. Stereo speaker and/or test button wiring require some setup, look elsewhere in the forum for these as well. But you will get sound through the harness even without stereo setup. The SuperNova provides component outputs, for instance.

2: Yes it is the actual arcade hardware. For the most part there is no downgraded version, which is why so many of us are doing this in the first place. (There is a downgraded PSX version of Wild Ambition but not for the Samurai series.) Even a hardcore fan would be tempted by a Dreamcast version of the Samurai 64 games. No port is completely faithful, but a $50 CD is not several hundred bucks of arcade hardware.

3: Yes it is tons of money. The people who do this are true SNK fans, and as I mentioned above, the supergun cost does not scare them as much because they can use it for MVS as well as hyper64. The MVS has an escape route for the extremely low-on-cash; it can be emulated on a PC, and the pros, cons, and legality of this are discussed in other forums. But I have never heard of a hyper64 emulator and would rather have the arcade hardware myself anyway.

4: Get the hyper64 first. I don't know how much of Vektor's pitch is sales talk, but the hyper64 is the part that will be harder to find and that may become more expensive over time; Vektor is selling a fixed number of existing units and I don't think that they can make these.

The supergun, as mentioned above, is available in multiple places. Technically, it is a home solution for something that an arcade electronics guru could probably build from its component parts. (This topic also pops up in the forums from time to time.)

[This message has been edited by neojedi (edited April 30, 2001).]

HANZO

One last question and I'm outa here. neojedi, How much was all your hard ware plaus tax and shiiping, most importantly how much was the shipping of the Hyper system, I'm curious because I live in california, and ur from the US too.

E

eldios10

Hanzo the hardware plus 3 games is $295 and shipping to the U.S is (if I remember correctly) $50. I bought the 4th game for $70 so my total was $415. $50 is very cheap for shipping since it's international and the box is large and heavy. I took about a week for me to get it. Neojedi do you mean you dont't get stereo sound from the super gun? I haven't recevied mine yet so I'm not able to play it.

HANZO

Ok guys I'm gona order Samurai Shodown 64 1 & 2 but wich one should I choose for the last one, I dont like the looks of Fatal Fury, but what is Buriki One all about?

What do you guys say?
Fatal Fury or Buriki One????

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
OK, 2 responses:

eldios10: I am using just a regular TV so I have not hooked up stereo yet. There is a great post in progress in this forum by DarkskyZ that has detailed info on 2 options for stereo sound.

HANZO: Get Wild Ambition if you are not sure. Buriki One is like UFC for the Dreamcast and is very difficult to get into. It is good, but it is more of an acquired taste with a cult following. Fatal Fury WA is a traditional fighter and is much easier to pick up and enjoy from the get-go. The best way to decide is to see if someone near you has UFC on the Dreamcast.

HANZO

Well the technition from Massysystems told me that he can rewire the 6 button deck to use a 4rth button with top three, but I grew up playing SS64 with a 4 button deck, so which one do you guys reccomend me getting? The 6 button, or the 4 rowed 8 buttoned deck?

If I get the 8 buttoned one, will it be compatible with all three games; SS64,SS64II, FF Wild Ambition?

I mean what is the best controllers that will allow me to do all moves well for SS64 yet work well with the other fighting games?

Ion

Overtop Pathfinder
The best thing to do if you can afford it and intend to play 6 button games like Street Fighters, is get a 6 button pad and convert a neogeo 1 for your hyper/mvs. unless you are happy with the 8 button stick?

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
There is no reason not to get the 8-button vs. the 6-button from Mass, it is great with the Neo and all of the raw components that you need to use 6-button games are already there.

I have not had to hook up a 6-button game myself yet, but I have plans... here is the 8-button layout:

The sticks are currently set up with jamma buttons 1-4 on the stick buttons 1-4 and it plays great like a natural Neo. My only CPS2 boards are side scrollers (Shadow Over Mystara is awesome!!!
biggrin.gif
) which I can play using the Neo buttons, but I am trying to get an older Street Fighter (none of that Alpha crap, maybe SSF2T).

My plans are to wire the jamma plus CPS2 connector to the plus connector on the SuperNova. (I will probably cut off the pin connection that they provide and just join the wires. This will create problems if I ever try to take Mystara up to 4 sticks
frown.gif
, but... oh well, anyway...)

Then, I will rewire the bottom buttons inside the stick if necessary so that jamma plus buttons 5 and 6 are wired to stick buttons 6 and 7. That leaves only the problem of button 4 being in the Neo position instead of 5. I think that the jamma plus connector provides button 4 as well as the jamma connector... maybe 4 is jamma standard on the Neo and jamma plus on a 6-button board?

If so then wiring the jamma plus button 4 to stick 5 should do the trick. If not, then maybe I can wire stick buttons 4 and 5 together so they both activate the jamma button 4. Either way the resulting stick would always work for both Neo and Capcom. If everything fails, then I could just use a female connector for the back of button 4 and switch it between stick 4 and 5 as necessary.

So my dream stick is the Massystems 8-button where 1-4 always work for the Neo and 1-3,5-7 always work for the CPS2. I won't be able to try this until I get a CPS2 6-button game, though. I can't imagine the Neo without 4 horizontal buttons!
wink.gif

Conclusion: You would want to have Mass deliver the sticks with jamma buttons 1-4 in positions 1-4 for immediate use with the Hyper64 and Neo MVS. Button 4 for use with 6-button I am not sure about because it is available through the standard harness, but also through the plus connection. Maybe if the sticks are delivered as above and with the 3 jamma plus buttons in stick positions 5-7, then they would be ready to go for Capcom & Neo without any extra wiring?

That is all I know until I get a 6-button board.

[This message has been edited by neojedi (edited May 02, 2001).]