KOF 2002's Popularity in Japan

T

TRIEUMINATOR

I haven't kept up with the news in Japan, but here is a link to one of srk.com's topics regarding KOF 2002's popularity:

<a href="http://shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?s=9dfa2e8aa76778edf0abd4f9c1bd3199&postid=240470#post240470" target="_blank">KOF 2002 Topic</a>

It's a long thread, so I'd say just read the first post and disregard the rest as the members go back and forth between SNK and Capcom and why one is better than the other. I'd say just enjoy games from both. SNK and Capcom maybe in competition, so instead of defending one for the other, I just play their games.

K

K9999

I certainly wish American gamers had that same mentality towards 2-D fighters, maybe I would be able to find some decent players and not have to be Me Vs. CPU all the time.

sha-v

Crossed Swords Squire
Almost 30.000!! postings about KOF2k2 at 2ch.net says all about the KOF2002 popularity in Japan.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Heh, that thread over there is hilarious... good to see that there are more "pools of flames" than ng.com. Ye ole' "Capcom vs SNK" is always good for an argument! :D

Anyway, great turnout for 2k2 I think. Japan has some of the best KoF players, and the droves of ppl queueing for a game show why.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to praise all of the Japanese game market... I mean, look at some of the top-10 of games, there are lots of strange dating sims and bemani games in it, more than fighters or something.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Could someone just point me to which page the KOF 2002 popularity is in Japan? The thread is so long that I am lost. :)

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Damn shame where out of control button mashing fighting games(MvC2) are all the rage with so called american fighters(teenie-poppers) when real fighters(KoF & AoF players) are considered old and as out-dated as Atari. IMO

Muchiko

Mr. Big's Thug
I could not get in shoryuken.com right now. They have some MySQL error? Damn them for using PHP and MySQL for their forums... LOL. I didn't know.

And what does the first post said?

I don't know about Japanese being good in KOF, since Capcom is more popular there. That is why Japanese got owned by Koreans in KOF 2001 tourneys.

Damn, I want to know which country is better, Korea, Singapore, HongKong, Taiwan, France, Kuwait (LOL), or even Mexico. We really need international tourneys in KOF.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Regarding KoF's popularity in America:

I mentioned the new KoF to three customers at work. Two of them said "Huh?", and the third said he didn't care about anything new there, as long as they keep offering the 3-piece combo with biscuit and choice of side.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
so ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what is the popularity of 2K2 in japan for those of use to lazy to read the thread??? :rolleyes:

T

TRIEUMINATOR

Kof2002's popularity over any Capcom game
I was just reading at madmanscafe that there are crowds waiting 45minutes to play Kof2002!

Japanese were lined up around the block to play Kof2002 at the beta test.
No Streetfighter game has had this sort of popularity before ever in comparision.What a sad time for Capcom.At mmcafe in 98 there was a comparision made between SFAlpha3 and Kof98 with the public walking away from the Capcom offering in droves.Is this year going to be another failing by Capcom to give us what we want?

Some baka 3D StreetfighterEX rip-off is made and half the new characters are just SNK rip-offs.What about Strider? Why has he been redesigned to look like Eiji (Kof95/Artoffighting2)? Strider looked better in his first appearance at least he was original.

Whats going on Capcom?We your loyal fans who made you millions deserve a bit of credit at least?Your going to allow Playmore and Eolith to humilate you this year???

Where is Streetfighter4?Even a SF3 + SFalpha characters combined into one game would be better than no 2D offering at all.

I feel betrayed 3D isnt what made you famous Capcom!

fufu
<hr></blockquote>

Above is the first post from srk.com's thread. Every post after that was basically why one company is better than the other. It's one of those useless arguments that really comes down to personal opinion, not facts.

Hiroya

NEST Puppet
He's completly right about the whole "teenie bop" thing..I mean here in the US Yes here..it's hard enough to find an arcadia with KOF or AOF, and if you find one there's never anyone there, but you got 20 kids at tekken 2...15 at MvC2 and 300 watching some kid in a visor dance on DDR.......

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
It doesn't suprise me that it's so popular. I was over there in early June and KOF2k1 was everywhere. Lots of posters and dozens of machines in every arcade dedicated to 2k1. It was honestly unbelievable!

I was shocked that at just how popular it was. I figured after SNK Japan went under the Japanese population would stop caring. They tend to shy away from things that are non-Japanese at times.

aria

Former Moderator
Originally posted by Hiroya:
<strong> you got 20 kids at tekken 2...15 at MvC2 and 300 watching some kid in a visor dance on DDR.......</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey... that was me... (j/k)

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
DDR rocks, don't be dissin. Of course I just busted my ankle on that damn game but that's beside the point. It just leaves me to sit in my room and play some KOF. :D

Good to know the Japanese still like the aging KOF, it just means they'll make more of em. But I don't think they hate Capcom as much as it's made out to be here.

Peace

JHendrix

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Trieu, thank for that quote.

I have to say my reaction to that was one of amazement. I truthfully always thought Capcom fighters were bigger in Japan. But damn, the reaction to KOF 2002 is nothing short of amazing. Not mention the fact about what happened with the King of Fighters 1998 and SF Alpha 3. But I'm not complaining at the end of the day, I like the King of Fighters more than any Street Fighter game. :)

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Originally posted by TRIEUMINATOR:
<strong>Above is the first post from srk.com's thread. Every post after that was basically why one company is better than the other. It's one of those useless arguments that really comes down to personal opinion, not facts.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah... the thread managed to get WAY out of hand. Towards the end, it seemed as if you even said ANYTHING in support of SNK that you would just get attacked. I was the unfortunate target of a LOT of arguments and flames on that thread (yes... I am "Psycho Soldier"), and all I initially tried to do was parallels of Capcom and SNK.

Some of the things that were being said was just ridiculous:

1. SNK "milks the cash cow" more than Capcom since they release a KOF every year... even though that there are only 9 KOFs and well over 21+ Street Fighter games all within the same timeframe.

2. SNK is "more lazy" since they don't redraw sprites in their games... even though when a comparison between the appearances of each company's oldest fighters (Ryu & Terry Bogard) shows that Ryu was redrawn 5 times out of 21+ game appearances, and Terry was redrawn anywhere from 6-10 times out of 16 appearances.

3. Capcom makes WAY more money and sells more units than SNK... which turns out to be partially true since Capcom obviously sells more home games than SNK through the PS2 and other home systems. But considering that their items are about $50 on release and most KOF titles on MVS were priced well over $1200 for the first few months, SNK doesn't have to sell 8+ million copies to make as much money as one home port.

All in all... the more I tried to show that they weren't fully correct in their thinking, they came up with more and more excuses, and even more flames. Sometimes, I wonder why I even bother to get caught up in all of the madness. :(

ANYHOO... I think it's safe to say that this was one experience that shall keep me away from SRK for a while. The blatant ignorance of some peope on those forums is enough to turn anyone into a raving maniac. At least here, I'm just a little "psycho". :)

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I tried hanging out at SRK.com and i just couldn't really stomach it. Now you all know i hate fanboys and Neo-Geo.com is like on the top 5 list for biased idiotic fanboys but SRK just takes the cake, i can't stand that place. I made like 2-3 posts and that was it, i was out of there.

That topic shouldn't have even been posted there cuz all the little ignorant 14 year olds would come up with dumb ass reasons for why Capcom is better than SNK. Or would bring up some gay shit like "SNK died" which is a given. Sure Capcom's business sense owns SNK's for free but that don't mean shit when it comes to popularity of a series. SNK got analy raped by aruze then died yet peeps are still pumpin in the quarters for KOF.

It really irks me when people are so biased and they know they are and they still don't have any shame and can come up with dumb ass reasons for why things are. I mean they completely have no shame.

dumbfucks.

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: SPINMASTER X ]</p>

VinylBoy

Originally posted by SPINMASTER X:
<strong>That topic shouldn't have even been posted there cuz all the little ignorant 14 year olds would come up with dumb ass reasons for why Capcom is better than SNK. Or would bring up some gay shit like "SNK died" which is a given. Sure Capcom's business sense owns SNK's for free but that don't mean shit when it comes to popularity of a series. SNK got analy raped by aruze then died yet peeps are still pumpin in the quarters for KOF</strong><hr></blockquote>

The sad thing is... a lot of the confrontations that people that I know have had there (including myself) are with people that are actually MUCH older than that. I've met some 14 year olds with better articulation and arguments, than some of the schmeg that comes out of the mouths of the Capcom "otaku" that troll on SRK.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by VinylBoy:
<strong>

The sad thing is... a lot of the confrontations that people that I know have had there (including myself) are with people that are actually MUCH older than that. I've met some 14 year olds with better articulation and arguments, than some of the schmeg that comes out of the mouths of the Capcom "otaku" that troll on SRK.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats a damn shame. Idiocy and Bias know no age i guess. If was still hanging out on SRK i'd probably be on my way to the nut house. I bet they have an SNK vs Capcom war everyday of the week there.

Shin Guile X

Mickey's Coach
The SNK vs. Capcom arguement to me is the same as the console war. I like them both but for different reasons. I just don't understand why people have to compare.

VinylBoy

Originally posted by SPINMASTER X:
<strong>

Thats a damn shame. Idiocy and Bias know no age i guess. If was still hanging out on SRK i'd probably be on my way to the nut house. I bet they have an SNK vs Capcom war everyday of the week there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Pretty much... you have the obvious "extreme fan" post. Usually by a rather familliar handle/nickname that is known for his or her extreme attitudes on the subject. It starts harmless enough... both groups usually start by saying that it;s a dumb topic. But then, one takes it a step further by saying something wrong about one of the games, like what I listed above. In an attempt to maybe put a small bit of insight on the issue, a little comment is made... and then the Capcom "otaku" flock to the channel like hounds (or even worse, the "in-the-closet" otaku) to insult and flame him.

It's an endless cycle which wil go on forever, since there will always be the types of crowds that sit on either side of the fence and scream at the other... and the innocent few that know how to balance themselves on it who get caught in the crossfire of flames.

All I know is, I need a break from all of that. There were some people on that thread attacking me that I REALLY wanted to just bang their heads against their monitors for their blatant ignorance and stupidity.

The SNK vs. Capcom arguement to me is the same as the console war. I like them both but for different reasons. I just don't understand why people have to compare. <hr></blockquote>

They will ALWAYS compare the two... instead of seeing the similarities of each company and accepting that without Capcom or SNK making 2D fighters that the genre would suck... they have to constantly trash SNK since they're:

1. A gamer in the US that has no access to SNK games for their home console or at a local arcade
2. They don't want to seem like an "oddball" by their other "friends" for liking something different.

I can understand those who don't like the games after they have played the game and just realized that it's not for them. Hell, even I have found that some SNK titles were not my cup of tea. But most of the people who tear apart the company can't even say that they've played more than 2 or 3 SNK titles beyond KOF, Metal Slug or Bust-A-Move.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: VinylBoy ]</p>