Is anyone here into synthetiser music?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Is it wrong to listen to synth/electronic/EBM music and...

1) Be over 25?
2.) Not dance to it?

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Is it wrong to listen to synth/electronic/EBM music and...

1) Be over 25?
2.) Not dance to it?

I think most ng members are guilty of 1 & 2....so it's alright :tickled:

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Anyone who is a fan of 80s film soundtracks/Miami Vice theme etc. should check out D/A/D. This is seriously THE BEST 80s synth music composed outside of the decade IMO. He wasn't even born in the 80s....

http://dadmusic.bandcamp.com/

Other notable synth music news.

Blancmange, a relatively obscure new wave synthpop band from the early 80s released their first album in 25 years this week.

Here is a clip of them from '82
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKkEQ_GzoZs

Human League have new material out now too...kinda meh if you ask me.

Vince Clarke and Martin Gore have some kinda techno/dance collaboration which should be released this year along with a Depeche Mode remix album (feat. remixes by Alan Wilder and Vince Clarke!)

New Erasure album out in September.

Going to see OMD tonite at the 9:30 club.

Carlson

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Kraftwerk is of course great, but mostly I listen to Depeche Mode. I've been a long time fan of theirs and even got to work with the photographer (Guido Karp) pre-show setup team on the last singles tour they did for about 10 shows. No pay but free front row seats, got to listen to the sound check and I got some great souvenirs; original photos from the tour and (some unreleased) by Anton Corbijn.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Kraftwerk is of course great, but mostly I listen to Depeche Mode. I've been a long time fan of theirs and even got to work with the photographer (Guido Karp) pre-show setup team on the last singles tour they did for about 10 shows. No pay but free front row seats, got to listen to the sound check and I got some great souvenirs; original photos from the tour and (some unreleased) by Anton Corbijn.

NICE! Depeche mode put on a fantastic show.

Did you hear about the very early demo tapes that were released recently? I guess a whole bunch of fans pooled their money together and bought a demo tape off ebay for 2-3K and its authenticity has been verified. It was uploaded to soundcloud but has since been removed.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Big fan of Kraftwerk, Gary Numan, Depeche Mode and New Order. Of course I enjoy other songs from various synth based bands.

Concerning Depeche Mode, it's funny that when I tell DM fans my favorite album is "Speak and Spell", they look at me funny. That albums is 80's synth pop at it's finest.

For "modern synth” stuff, I like The Rentals fusion of synth-pop and rock. Just got into Kravinsky recently, awesome shit.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Concerning Depeche Mode, it's funny that when I tell DM fans my favorite album is "Speak and Spell", they look at me funny. That albums is 80's synth pop at it's finest.

Although lyrically that album is pretty weak, I agree with you and would rank it along with Broken Frame (esp. This is Fun, Sun & Rainfall) as their best material of the 80s.
I think at least part of it has to do with the equipment they used. For their first two albums they used a lot of synthesizers like the ARP 2600 and Jupiter 8, which are considered some of the greatest synths ever created.

However when they turned to sampling on their later 80s albums, the results haven't aged as well. Pretty much anything recorded during the Construction Time Again thru Black Celebration eras sounds much better live than the studio recordings since sampling tech kept improving.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Big fan of Kraftwerk, Gary Numan, Depeche Mode and New Order. Of course I enjoy other songs from various synth based bands.

Speak and Spell still has some great songs (Photographic, No Disco, etc), but my favorite song off of that album is definitely Puppets. That song always reminds me of the C64/Amiga Demoscene and vice versa. Reaps's Remix of the song was a favorite remix that I caught onto last year.

On A Broken Frame, I can still listen to The Sun and the Rainfall on repeat for hours.

Geez, Depeche Mode concert tours turn into 4 day events for the missus and I.

Darren870

Previously Lusted for Lard
I was going to say the same thing I said In 2006 & 2009...but I guess I can't since its not 2012 yet. However yay for another 2 year thread bump.

Wow a thread bump from 2003....

but +1 for the pet shop boys cd coming out.

Im going to say the same thing I said in 2006...

Anyways, I've always liked more Industrial then Synthpop, but thats not saying I don't enjoy it!

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
Is anyone here into synthetiser music?

i am.

much of the usual 1980's pop, as well as most anything by legendary synth musician VANGELIS, up until the mid-1990's or so.

1980's thru early 1990's Anime and J-Pop is usually awesome with synth,
a highlight being the soundtrack of the 1987/1991 Anime OAV series "Bubblegum Crisis"

some of the 1990's stuff is O.K. in my book, so long as it isn't terribly simplistic and repetitive...

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I LOOOOOOVE synth music. Love it do death. I love all of the usual 80's stuff but I really love the new stuff from guys like the Outrunners, Kavinsky, Danger and Elektro-boy or pretty much anyone on the "Valerie" record label.

p.s. Synth heavy horror movie soundtracks from back in the day were the shit. I like the way some artists try to recreate those soundtracks.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
THE AWESOME POWER OF A FULLY ARMED MOTHERSHIP:

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I like to listen to activ. they do disco/trance/techno type shit.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
p.s. Synth heavy horror movie soundtracks from back in the day were the shit. I like the way some artists try to recreate those soundtracks.

Goblin did some pretty awesome synth horror soundtracks. Of course Carpenter's synth soundtracks were absolutely fantastic, that guy is fucking talent galore. What're some of your fave horror synth soundtracks dude?

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
I LOOOOOOVE synth music. Love it do death. I love all of the usual 80's stuff but I really love the new stuff from guys like the Outrunners, Kavinsky, Danger and Elektro-boy or pretty much anyone on the "Valerie" record label.

I've learned of Kavinsky and Elektro-boy from you and now I know about Anorakk. Awesome stuff.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Man, there are some good fucking youtube posts on this thread. Thanks for the recommendations, for those who posted.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Goblin did some pretty awesome synth horror soundtracks. Of course Carpenter's synth soundtracks were absolutely fantastic, that guy is fucking talent galore. What're some of your fave horror synth soundtracks dude?

ALL OF THEM.

My mom has an amazing VHS collection that she's gathered since I was little. She mainly collected horror movies. Despite the fact that I was scared shitless of them the music stayed with me and I loved it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
ALL OF THEM.

My mom has an amazing VHS collection that she's gathered since I was little. She mainly collected horror movies. Despite the fact that I was scared shitless of them the music stayed with me and I loved it.

Tales from the Darkside has good bad synth music. Repeats are on early Sat. mornings on SciFi. Don't get the DVDs though - the music has been replaced with stock tracks.