offical wwe thread

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yes. See: Bullet Club.

I understand that he was in the Bullet Club. And that Bullet club was entertaining. But how much of that was Karl Anderson, I do not know.

I always assumed that he was the "Tully Blanchard" of the stable.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I understand that he was in the Bullet Club. And that Bullet club was entertaining. But how much of that was Karl Anderson, I do not know.

I always assumed that he was the "Tully Blanchard" of the stable.

He was their mouthpiece and a fantastic in-ring performer, and the leader (in NJPW) of the stable in between Prince Devitt and Kenny Omega.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
Oh yeah, excuse my absence folks! I've been taking care a LOT of business at home. Here's a story i've been meaning to tell for quite some time!

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Thanks for sharing, that's a cool story.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Women of Honor Wednesday this week is a qualifier match to get into the first round of the WOH Championship tournament:

ROH Update about said tournament:

Throwback Thursday:

Future of Honor Friday:

Final Battle pre-show exclusive web match:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm going to try and watch WK12 this week. The last one I watched was 7 (couldn't find a torrent of 8 or 9 when those shows went down then kinda stopped caring).

I'm flipping through and seeing a big difference. It seems so Americanized.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yeah, it wasn't very Americanized when Vader or Brock Lesnar or Scott Norton were IWGP Champions. Those dudes were Japanese as fuck.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Finished watching Wrestle Kingdom.

Kazuchika Okada is on a different level from anyone else in the world right now. Nobody can touch him. Not Naito, Styles, Ibushi, Lethal, Roddy, Tanahashi, or even Omega.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, it wasn't very Americanized when Vader or Brock Lesnar or Scott Norton were IWGP Champions. Those dudes were Japanese as fuck.

I'm not talking about the workers. I'm talking about the way the guys seemed to be working. And the presentation. I'll have to watch the whole thing.

It just seemed different than what I remember from the last time I watched. I've read other people make similar products about NJPW becoming westernized over the last few years. It works for them financially, so who am I to judge?

I'm not saying it is worse, just that it feels different.

famicommander

15 Year Member
There is talk of Fox (the company that will remain after they sell most of it to Disney) buying WWE if they can't renew their broadcast deal with UFC. This would mean a 2 hour Raw on the Fox broadcast channel and Smackdown on FS1.

No word on how likely Fox is to lose UFC though, and there are no indications yet that Vince is willing to give up majority control.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Depends on how quickly he loses that 100 million dollars he just cashed out.

famicommander

15 Year Member
DTTRTn-V4AAtDfD.jpg:large

Jesus Christ. This is from the Impact tapings tonight.

This is the Impact Zone now. They got relegated to a closet at Universal Studios I guess.

Remember, these tickets are all free.

Also, it appears they had to release two sides of the ring to save some money. Can't afford six anymore.

And yet, Austin Aries and Brian Cage debuted at the tapings so far.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Deonna Purrazzo has signed a contract with Ring of Honor, becoming the first woman to do so. Other women including Kelly Klein and Mandy Leon have been offered deals as well. The contracts allow the women to continue working for US and international indies but not promotions like WWE or Impact.

We know 13 of the 16 women in the Women of Honor Championship Tournament:
Deonna Purazzo
Karen Q
Kelly Klein
Madison Rayne
Brandi Rhodes
Mandy Leon
Sumie Sakai
Jessie Brooks
Jenny Rose
HZK (STARDOM)
Kagetsu (STARDOM)
Mayu Iwatani (STARDOM)
Hana Kimura (STARDOM)

This is what we've been waiting for. A championship and the women being signed to contracts makes Women of Honor a proper major women's promotion, and another place outside WWE where women can actually make a living.

Hopefully we get a surprise like Emma or someone from CMLL in the last 3 in the tournament field.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Excellent selection of web matches from ROH this week. Seriously, watch them.

Second web exclusive Final Battle pre-show match:

Women of Honor Wednesday:

Throwback Thursday:

Future of Honor Friday:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm not talking about the workers. I'm talking about the way the guys seemed to be working. And the presentation. I'll have to watch the whole thing.

It just seemed different than what I remember from the last time I watched. I've read other people make similar products about NJPW becoming westernized over the last few years. It works for them financially, so who am I to judge?

I'm not saying it is worse, just that it feels different.

Or you're talking entirely out of your own ass. Could be that.

Famicommander, are you serious?

You really can't admit that the New Japan product has become americanized?

I don't think anyone here is saying it sucks

famicommander

15 Year Member
It's strong style. If anything they have doubled down on that premise, not watered it down with the American sports entertainment style. You don't see Goto picking up an ambulance or getting pushed off the card for a special guest rap performance. You don't see 4 minute matches filled with fuckery or dumbass power struggle authority figure storylines.

It's why guys like Nakamura have had such a hard time adapting to WWE's horrible style.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
But there has been a move towards more run-ins, fuckery and other heel antics.

It is is still "Strong Style", but it has evolved. It is more entertainment-oriented than it was 15 years ago.

As for the actual Jan 4th, showcase (now that I have seen the whole thing).... It wasn't as entertainment oriented in whole as the few clips I saw.

It is a fine product and strikes perhaps the right balance.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
But there has been a move towards more run-ins, fuckery and other heel antics.

It is is still "Strong Style", but it has evolved. It is more entertainment-oriented than it was 15 years ago.

As for the actual Jan 4th, showcase (now that I have seen the whole thing).... It wasn't as entertainment oriented in whole as the few clips I saw.

It is a fine product and strikes perhaps the right balance.

Right. Which is why I'm guessing NJPW has experienced such a renaissance. I'd assume the less sport, more entertainment presentation has been received as refreshing among the Japanese fanbase. Who knows what longterm ramification this will have though...

Isn't Gedo one of the head bookers? Isn't he obsessed with American wrestling?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Right. Which is why I'm guessing NJPW has experienced such a renaissance. I'd assume the less sport, more entertainment presentation has been received as refreshing among the Japanese fanbase. Who knows what longterm ramification this will have though...

Isn't Gedo one of the head bookers? Isn't he obsessed with American wrestling?

Gedo is indeed the head booker but the focus on the American style nearly killed NJPW when WCW collapsed. The late 90s were a hot period for NJPW but after WCW died and NJPW stopped using their talent and angles the company nearly died. It wasn't until guys like Tanahashi and Nakamura started returning the product to a traditional style that it recovered.

Both of you are entirely backwards.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I thought that the bullet club and it's "gajin style" antics were the reason for the turnaround.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks fucking suck. They're just fans dressing up and playing wrestler.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
I thought that the bullet club and it's "gajin style" antics were the reason for the turnaround.
The turnaround happened before Bullet Club existed. It was Hiroshi Tanahashi's rise that saved NJPW. His rise in NJPW mirrored Cena's in WWE, except Tanahashi didn't bury the whole rest of the roster and thus built a sustainable base while WWE is already struggling to replace Cena and he isn't even gone yet. And, of course, Tanahashi is a master class in ring worker while Cena sucks balls.

Further, Bullet Club is not much different from the stables that existed before. nWo Japan and Team 2000 come to mind immediately.

Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks fucking suck. They're just fans dressing up and playing wrestler.

We see you, Jim Cornette. You bag of sausages in a suit, you.