Are US AES systems "rare" now?...

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I was considering buying another AES system recently(I used to have one long ago, not anymore...) and looked on eBay. I notice that 99% of the listings are for JPN AES systems.

Where's all the US systems? Can a JPN system play US games? What about the power supply issue(different current/voltage)?

I tried doing a search for "US AES systems" on here, but had a hard time finding threads that explained what I wanted to know.

Japanese systems can play US games, but will play the game in the Japanese region unless you have a modified BIOS. As far as I know, there is no difference between US and Japanese game cartridges beyond the pretty pictures on the outside.

Power supply should be fine in the US; American voltage is technically slightly higher than Japanese voltage, but for DC-outputting power supplies they generally won't have much of a problem handling the difference... at least I've never had any issues.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Japanese systems have been significantly less expensive and easier to get for at least 15 years. It seems somewhat rare to find US systems for sale these days. Makes me kind of sad I no longer have mine from back in the 90's.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
They are way less common than the Japanese systems, if you are looking to buy one the cost will probably be double/triple for an English Bios system. I think the best thing is to get a Japanese system and put a Unibios in it.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Hmm...so if I have an extra original US bios laying around I could sell it (system) as an US...

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I had a PAL system at one point so now I'm wondering how rare PAL systems are?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I was considering buying another AES system recently(I used to have one long ago, not anymore...) and looked on eBay. I notice that 99% of the listings are for JPN AES systems.

Where's all the US systems? Can a JPN system play US games? What about the power supply issue(different current/voltage)?

I tried doing a search for "US AES systems" on here, but had a hard time finding threads that explained what I wanted to know.

People like you are the reason US systems are practically non-existent and in such artificially high demand.

The Neo Geo has no region locking at all, any AES will play any region cartridge. However, the BIOS chip determines the language used. a Japanese AES plays everything in Japanese. If you were planning on getting a Unibios chip, then there's now zero difference at all between a Japanese and USA AES.

As for power, you could probably use the Japanese 100v adapter that would come with an AES, but if that bothers you, it's not hard at all to find a USA 120v equivalent. You just determine the voltage your AES uses and find a local power brick that fits the voltage, amps and polarity needed. Local second hand shops are a great place to find loose power adapters.

Source: Jamma-Nation-X
psuaes.jpg

Okay, maybe it's not overly easy but power bricks aren't rocket science either.

Game consoles that use external power transformers are all the same, they take a DC voltage, they don't care how exactly you're converting down from AC voltage, be it an official adapter or a random replacement you found that still fits the required output specs (volts, amps, polarity, barrel jack size). Being able to import an AES or a Genesis or Famicom and sourcing a local adapter for your country's power grid is what makes those systems awesome to import. Then you have consoles with shitty fucking internal transformers like the Saturn, Dreamcast and fat PS2. With those, you are forced to use external AC step transformers which can be dangerous if you try to skimp on quality.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I feel like this thread should be back dated to around the year 2000.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I have a US system that I was thinking of selling because the player 1 side has a pushed-in pin on the controller port that makes the "D" button not work. Was going to send it Xian Xi many many years ago to fix but never did because I am a lazy shit and now not sure he fixes those anymore anyway.

Figured I'd probably be better off just selling it as-is and buying a JPN system at some point. Not even sure what to ask for it.

24-bit

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have a US system that I was thinking of selling because the player 1 side has a pushed-in pin on the controller port that makes the "D" button not work. Was going to send it Xian Xi many many years ago to fix but never did because I am a lazy shit and now not sure he fixes those anymore anyway.

Figured I'd probably be better off just selling it as-is and buying a JPN system at some point. Not even sure what to ask for it.

I can tell you i was bidding on a us system with a cracked case, listed for parts only and it sold for $154.50 so what's a bad port to fix

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
While a JPN system will play games in Japanese by default. You can always just go into the game options and set the language to whatever you want.

I honestly don’t understand the demand for a “US system”. It’s easily the worst system to get in regards to game censorship.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
While a JPN system will play games in Japanese by default. You can always just go into the game options and set the language to whatever you want.

I honestly don’t understand the demand for a “US system”. It’s easily the worst system to get in regards to game censorship.

Xenophobia among Americans I would assume

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Seems like a moot point given that you're pretty much forced into installing a BIOS mod on them anyway. Who really wants to play censored games?

Since you're already doing it, might as well just get a Japanese AES or a consolized MVS.

Fuck SNK for censoring US AES games. Possibly one of the dumbest decisions a video game company ever made. Glad they went under.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Censuring the US systems was pretty lame..I remember everybody being furious over the censorship in SAMURAI SHODOWN SO MUCH so that SNK added the blood & fatalities code in SAMURAI SHODOWN 2
BB

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
On a top serious note, has anyone EVER seen an ACTUAL pro-pow2 PSU?

NEO·GEO unit asking for PRO-POW2 were usually provided with PRO-POW. I even wonder where PRO-POW2 specs are derived from, for I never ever saw not even a pic of the actual thing.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Seems like a moot point given that you're pretty much forced into installing a BIOS mod on them anyway. Who really wants to play censored games?

Since you're already doing it, might as well just get a Japanese AES or a consolized MVS.

Fuck SNK for censoring US AES games. Possibly one of the dumbest decisions a video game company ever made. Glad they went under.

It’s treason then

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Ive never seen a us system on ebay ever.

I actually bought one on eBay via auction on 6/12/2018 for $505 with av chord, ac adapter, original stick, and a cd controller (it was local and I picked it up to save $40 on shipping). Over the last 12 years I've had 2 us systems and a Japanese system with Unibios The Japanese system is more functional with unibios, also with the money you save going the Japanese route you could use the money you save to buy a game, thats what I would do if I had to buy a system today..

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I actually bought one on eBay via auction on 6/12/2018 for $505 with av chord, ac adapter, original stick, and a cd controller (it was local and I picked it up to save $40 on shipping). Over the last 12 years I've had 2 us systems and a Japanese system with Unibios The Japanese system is more functional with unibios, also with the money you save going the Japanese route you could use the money you save to buy a game, thats what I would do if I had to buy a system today..

A Japanese system with Japanese BIOS is also more functional in general. The USA BIOS is extremely overrated. Tons of AES games have a language setting in the options menu if the moon letters really bother you that much.

Not that SNK Engrish was ever legible to begin with. I've never understood the hype.