Are US AES systems "rare" now?...

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Seems like a moot point given that you're pretty much forced into installing a BIOS mod on them anyway. Who really wants to play censored games?

Since you're already doing it, might as well just get a Japanese AES or a consolized MVS.

Fuck SNK for censoring US AES games. Possibly one of the dumbest decisions a video game company ever made. Glad they went under.

Careful not to cut yourself on that edge bud

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I actually bought one on eBay via auction on 6/12/2018 for $505 with av chord, ac adapter, original stick, and a cd controller (it was local and I picked it up to save $40 on shipping). Over the last 12 years I've had 2 us systems and a Japanese system with Unibios The Japanese system is more functional with unibios, also with the money you save going the Japanese route you could use the money you save to buy a game, thats what I would do if I had to buy a system today..
Without a box, I'm not paying $500. The box is practically worth more than the system now.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Yeah I got my US console back in 2007 on eBay but was pretty reasonable in price. I didn’t even know the difference between US and JPN systems back then but when I learned about the censorship it bugged me and I wished I had gotten a JPN console instead. I always said i’d out a unibios in it but here we are in 2021 and never did.

Told you i’m lazy...

Jzumpf

n00b
are you asking because you're not getting the benefits you wanted?
If I understand your meaning correctly then I'd say you are absolutely right. A very, very small flex compared to the rest of the community.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
US system owners tend to drill holes in their machines.

Then they got "tired of the hobby" because they have "something better to do" and sell that cruft for loadsamoney.

That wouldn't be bad per se if ppl would be wise enough to tell them to fuck off with their vandalized bs, yet there still are plenty of takers.

Ah well. Every gen has the Neo it deserves.

Here's my advice, get the cheapest homecart system you can get, it only takes some small mods to set them to any region you like. "US-versions" are just modded standard homecart systems with a US box and manual and shit. Not worth it in the least.

EDIT:

Who tf wants a US-system anyway, "white sweat" in the Slugs, anyone? Yeah, it's nice to be able to read the names of the saved hostages but censorship sucks so JPN it is all the way. Japanese, 60Hz, proper telly, 2x oldstyle, some good friends, no better time.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member

Then they got "tired of the hobby" because they have "something better to do" and sell that cruft for loadsamoney.

That wouldn't be bad per se if ppl would be wise enough to tell them to fuck off with their vandalized bs, yet there still are plenty of takers.

Here's my advice, get the cheapest homecart system you can get, it only takes some small mods to set them to any region you like. "US-versions" are just modded standard homecart systems with a US box and manual and shit. Not worth it in the least.

EDIT:

Who tf wants a US-system anyway, "white sweat" in the Slugs, anyone? Yeah, it's nice to be able to read the names of the saved hostages but censorship sucks so JPN it is all the way. Japanese, 60Hz, proper telly, 2x oldstyle, some good friends, no better time.
No one here has friends. Otherwise spot on

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
That’s bullshit, I got friends round to play Neo Turf Masters last month.

They’ve not come back, or texted or called since but…

butthurt coconut

Zero's Secretary

EDIT:

I prefer my four-slot MVS board with unibios and timeharvest supergun. English text, softdip settings, blood, whatever you want. The appeal of AES stuff feels very superficial to me. It looks great... from a distance, then you realize the console and original controllers are made from the cheapest, lightest feeling shitty plastic, and the games are ridiculously expensive compared to the original arcade format.... It's all useless vanity to me. Especially when a lot of my favorite Neo games happen to be MVS-only, like Strikers Plus for example. I held onto my AES stuff for a long time before finally trading it away, even though I hardly every touched the thing. It is such a seductive system, and I'm glad I owned one for awhile, but over the years I felt more interested in the arcade side of things. Neo Geo really feels like an arcade platform first and a console second.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I prefer my four-slot MVS board with unibios and timeharvest supergun. English text, softdip settings, blood, whatever you want. The appeal of AES stuff feels very superficial to me. It looks great... from a distance, then you realize the console and original controllers are made from the cheapest, lightest feeling shitty plastic, and the games are ridiculously expensive compared to the original arcade format.... It's all useless vanity to me. Especially when a lot of my favorite Neo games happen to be MVS-only, like Strikers Plus for example. I held onto my AES stuff for a long time before finally trading it away, even though I hardly every touched the thing. It is such a seductive system, and I'm glad I owned one for awhile, but over the years I felt more interested in the arcade side of things. Neo Geo really feels like an arcade platform first and a console second.

Sounds like a healthy standpoint.

In the end it's all about the games, at least for me. I bought a homecart system when there was no other option, certainly not MVS because new kits went for between $1200 and $2000+ which was out of reach for me. So I slowly built a library of games on homecart that I still play and that's all that matters to me. I could sell the lot and go MVS but I like the convenience of the homecart system, the big carts, everything. It's an experience I don't wanna miss.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The appeal of AES stuff feels very superficial to me. It looks great... from a distance, then you realize the console and original controllers are made from the cheapest, lightest feeling shitty plastic, and the games are ridiculously expensive compared to the original arcade format.... It's all useless vanity to me.

I think I like you.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

I used to have a very similar perspective. The home system became a new way for me to enjoy the Neo, and I actually prefer to play on my AES nowadays. I have a 6 slot cab that is pretty much for casual fun and when people are over.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I used to have a very similar perspective. The home system became a new way for me to enjoy the Neo, and I actually prefer to play on my AES nowadays. I have a 6 slot cab that is pretty much for casual fun and when people are over.
The AES is also my preferred option, especially now that we have things like the 161 for sane prices and the NeoSD for what used to be almost sane prices.

MVS is so often experienced with bare circuit boards and aftermarket supergun adapters, it doesn't take long for the romanticism to run out.

butthurt coconut

Zero's Secretary
The AES is also my preferred option, especially now that we have things like the 161 for sane prices and the NeoSD for what used to be almost sane prices.

MVS is so often experienced with bare circuit boards and aftermarket supergun adapters, it doesn't take long for the romanticism to run out.
Owning other JAMMA boards helps keep it interesting. The whole thing does take a bit of creativity though.

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
I had a US console in the 90's, wish I had kept it. For nostalgia sake, I ended up getting European and Japanese consoles later on, changed the Euro console to NTSC. Both were finicky in one way or another, and what surprised me about them when I got them was just how cheap and light they felt. I seemed to remember a much more robust feeling, but memory is a funny thing, I guess.

In any case, I lost all my AES stuff in a drunken game of cribbage, so I decided to go down the MVS route and have not had any regrets. The only thing I wish was more accessible on MVS is the memory card. I have an MV2F board that will take a card, but it's rather large. And I have an MV1B board with a virtual memory card, but that has its limitations as well (such as certain games not giving you the option to not use a memory card unless you remove it, which ofc you can't so easily with a virtual one). Would love to see TimeHarvest update their AES-style clone to take an actual memory card, but probably won't happen.

8man

Administrator
Still remember when I got my first AES US Gold System in 1992. Best system that I ever played back then. Bought 3 more US sets (all modded), and 1 JPN set, as backups. Back then it was easy to find US Systems…

I still have my new US system never opened from ~20 years ago, box is perfect, paid $2k back then. Don’t know if they make acrylic boxes big enough to hold it… but seriously thinking about it.

1696209660198.jpeg

Have 8+ Neo Geo X systems, all new/sealed on release from 2012 with extra controller and all boxed game carts: volumes 1-5 and the mega pack. Gave 2 away as gifts.