Do you think the 32X could have done an arcade perfect NeoGeo fighting game port?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Who cares? It's a shit system why would you even want to play NG games on it?

All you guys talking about detailed specs realize that you have taken up valuable brain space that could have been used for literally anything better than know frame buffering tile whatever and GPU performance of the 32x right?

Even if the thing had a perfect port of Sam Sho it wouldn't have mattered nobody would have bought it for the simple fact that it was on such an ill conceived add-on ugly POS.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

All you guys talking about detailed specs realize that you have taken up valuable brain space that could have been used for literally anything better than know frame buffering tile whatever and GPU performance of the 32x right?

Even if the thing had a perfect port of Sam Sho it wouldn't have mattered nobody would have bought it for the simple fact that it was on such an ill conceived add-on ugly POS.

Finally!!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

I like using space for frame buffering. Game console hardware is one of my favorite topics.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, and I've heard you're a real blast at parties.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, I think I often am. I'm unapologetically a dork though

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior

Hell yeah.

I hate the 32x it basically started the downturn for Sega. I liked the sega CD and i think had it not been for the 32x sega wouldn't have lost faith from its consumer base. Well atleast not as fast as it did.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
In general, the 32x can't push pixels nearly as fast as the Neo-Geo. The Neo-Geo LSPC renders 96 sprites on each scanline, or a maximum of 1536 pixels drawn in each line. That's 20 megapixels/s of fill rate, effectively. The 32x CPUs are only clocked at 20MHz to begin with, and you'll get nowhere near a pixel done every cycle. At best you'll have, like, a 4-cycle load/store/increment/increment loop or something, and maybe move 2 pixels at a time. And that doesn't take into account masking or scaling or anything. The 32x can really only do full-screen full-speed animation if you're not redrawing most of the screen, which means no scaling the background.

The 32x is a cool concept - like having a tiny DOS machine in a console, with nothing but a fast CPU and buffers for your audio/video output. Unfortunately it's just too damn slow to work.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Which is why the best 32X software that was all 2D still relied on the Genesis VDP to draw most of the screen, that being the foreground and background layers. Knuckles Chaotix does that and actually still has slowdown at times, probably from all the sprites the 32X is drawing. Pitfall the Mayan Adventure does the opposite and as such, it runs slow and different parts of the screen update at different times, it’s a mess.

A game like Fatal Fury Special on the 32X would pretty much just look like Genesis Fatal Fury 2 with a bit better color on the foreground/background and much better looking sprites.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The 32x is a cool concept - like having a tiny DOS machine in a console, with nothing but a fast CPU and buffers for your audio/video output. Unfortunately it's just too damn slow to work.

Tiny DOS machine?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Tiny DOS machine?

On old DOS systems, they relied on the fast main CPU to push pixels. That’s what he meant. The 32X doesn’t have an actual video display chip like the Genesis, it has to do graphics in software.

fake

15 Year Member
On old DOS systems, they relied on the fast main CPU to push pixels. That’s what he meant. The 32X doesn’t have an actual video display chip like the Genesis, it has to do graphics in software.

Just curious - wouldn't this be the case for any computer built before the dawn of GPUs in the '90s?

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Just curious - wouldn't this be the case for any computer built before the dawn of GPUs in the '90s?

There were lots of computers with good video acceleration for the time - the Atari 800 and the Amiga come to mind. The IBM PC never developed any kind of useful graphics acceleration for video games (until the Voodoo, of course). DOS games had to just write into a framebuffer and hope the CPU could keep up. That's what I meant. It's very nice, from a programming perspective, if it's fast enough. If it's not fast enough, it's a mess.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

Owning old videogames at all is ghey to +90% of the general population. All is pointless, life doesn't have any inherent meaning, we give it, etc.

Not that the 32x isn't stupid as hell (sign of zeta summed it up pretty well) but hey, to each their own. I don't know what they were thinking with that one.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I wouldn't consider Doom 32X to be representative of anything. The game was developed for Jaguar and just during the time it was being playtested they ported and released the Jag version for 32X. The Jaguar version was done first and yet the 32X version beat it to market. That's why it's missing several levels and features the Jag version had. They cut what they couldn't fit fast enough.

fake

15 Year Member
There were lots of computers with good video acceleration for the time - the Atari 800 and the Amiga come to mind. The IBM PC never developed any kind of useful graphics acceleration for video games (until the Voodoo, of course). DOS games had to just write into a framebuffer and hope the CPU could keep up. That's what I meant. It's very nice, from a programming perspective, if it's fast enough. If it's not fast enough, it's a mess.

Gotcha. Thanks.