PC Engine Duo CD Rom fault

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Got an issue with the CD Rom on a PCE Duo I bought, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me toward a fix...

The CD Rom drive won't spin up properly to recognise a disc. When you hit run it starts to spin (slowly) and then gives up after a few seconds saying it cannot detect a disc.

Ok, so ALL caps on the system have been replaced.
That's done nothing to improve the issue.

The motor for the assembly has been tested and is fine - it's not the motor.

The laser lens has been swapped out for a brand new one - same issue.

I've exchanged the entire CD-Rom assembly from a known working Duo to this faulty unit and the donor CD-Rom then has the same issue as the original.

So, something tells me it's something on the motherboard, but what I don't know!

Anybody out there come across this before? Any suggestions for things I should be testing / looking to replace?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Got an issue with the CD Rom on a PCE Duo I bought, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me toward a fix...

The CD Rom drive won't spin up properly to recognise a disc. When you hit run it starts to spin (slowly) and then gives up after a few seconds saying it cannot detect a disc.

Ok, so ALL caps on the system have been replaced.
That's done nothing to improve the issue.

The motor for the assembly has been tested and is fine - it's not the motor.

The laser lens has been swapped out for a brand new one - same issue.

I've exchanged the entire CD-Rom assembly from a known working Duo to this faulty unit and the donor CD-Rom then has the same issue as the original.

So, something tells me it's something on the motherboard, but what I don't know!

Anybody out there come across this before? Any suggestions for things I should be testing / looking to replace?

Check continuity between the power and ground for the motor to the main board. The "I tap it and it works" makes me think there is a bad connection / cold solder joint somewhere.

If that checks fine start tracing the signals back into the motherboard and see what you find