Encoder HDMI CMVS

Sho G.

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
Hello everyone. I am starting a new project to make a CMVS with a Neo Geo MVS 1C, and I would like to connect a encoder that outputs the video signal in high resolution through HDMI and also with scanlines but all on a single PCB. I have found some models but I would like it to output the audio via HDMI and the encoder I have found only have video input, so I would have to put the audio separately, not via HDMI.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Your best bet is probably a Genesis RAD2x cable. If you want to make it internal, cut off the Genesis connector and put the wires on the board directly. No scan lines that way though. Your next option would be Beharbros NeoVGA16 and then use a passive VGA to HDMI converter/cable but the audio is separate on that as well. No perfect internal HDMI option exists as of now but I can highly recommend all Retrotink2x products and the soon to be announced Retrotink5x

Sho G.

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
Your best bet is probably a Genesis RAD2x cable. If you want to make it internal, cut off the Genesis connector and put the wires on the board directly. No scan lines that way though. Your next option would be Beharbros NeoVGA16 and then use a passive VGA to HDMI converter/cable but the audio is separate on that as well. No perfect internal HDMI option exists as of now but I can highly recommend all Retrotink2x products and the soon to be announced Retrotink5x

Thank you very much for the information. Of all the encoders the one that I find most interesting is the Retrotink 2x. I have been studying the PRO version and in theory it has everything I need, since it has scanlines and outputs 24-bit stereo audio over HDMI. I could remove the box and I have the PCB to mount it on the CMVS. The question I have is how can I connect the RGB signal on the Retrotink PCB, because the component video inputs have red, green and blue, but I don't know how to connect ground and sync.

Sho G.

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
There is an FPGA board project to add HDMI out to Neo Geo. Not sure how complete it is or how many people have successfully done it.

https://oshpark.com/profiles/kraquepype
https://github.com/charcole/NeoGeoHDMI

Thank you very much for the information and the links. It would be a very interesting option to make CMVS and cheaper. Just know more information about the components to be soldered and the connections, or if it is possible to get as a mounting kit. The video shows a very good result with scanlines.

Sho G.

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
You would definitely need the sversion as it is the only one that takes RGB natively, and it will inject audio out via HDMI just like the other Tink products. You just need to find a SCART pinout and hook the corresponding lines from the Neo Geo to the PCB. However I want to mention that the scanlines option is not great. I bought the pro for the same reason but it really darkens the image so don't expect anything phenomenal. There's only so much he could do with the ADC he uses.

Last edited:

Sho G.

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
You would definitely need the sversion as it is the only one that takes RGB natively, and it will inject audio out via HDMI just like the other Tink products. You just need to find a SCART pinout and hook the corresponding lines from the Neo Geo to the PCB. However I want to mention that the scanlines option is not great. I bought the pro for the same reason but it really darkens the image so don't expect anything phenomenal. There's only so much he could do with the ADC he uses.

Thank you very much for the clarification. The truth is that the quality of the crt cannot be achieved in an LCD but for now I think it is the best option. As for the scanlines, it is true that it darkens the image, I have seen it in emulators and other consoles that simulate scanlines.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just increase the image brightness to offset the scanlines darkening effect.

Sho G.

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
Just increase the image brightness to offset the scanlines darkening effect.

Good idea. I had not thought of it. I am looking forward to testing on LCD, so far I have only played on CRT.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
That works but only to an extent. The scanlines are actual black lines every other line so it really brings down the brightness. I cranked my brightness all the way and it still wasn't enough.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
To connect the Retrotink to the Neo Geo MVS, which would be a better option? The Retrotink 2x Pro or the Retrotink SCART? The Retrotink 2x Pro only has component input and I don't see how to connect the sync and the video ground. On the other hand, the Retrotink SCART, does it have audio input and output?
https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/retrotink-2x-pro
https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/retrotink-2x-scart

The retrotink 2X pro has component video - you don’t connect sync and ground if you are using component.

The retrotink SCART has only SCART. SCART carries audio as well. My CMVS is connected to my retrotink SCART.

SCART is an RGB signal, if you use component you would have to use RGB then convert it to component before going to the upscaler.

RGB is better than component, but just by a little bit

Sho G.

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
That works but only to an extent. The scanlines are actual black lines every other line so it really brings down the brightness. I cranked my brightness all the way and it still wasn't enough.

Sure. As much as these types of interfaces evolve, they are still just an emulation. The best will always be a CRT connected by RGB. Although this Retrotink is a good solution for those who only have LCD.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

I’m talking at the RGB level, not on the TV.

Sho G.

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
The retrotink 2X pro has component video - you don’t connect sync and ground if you are using component.

The retrotink SCART has only SCART. SCART carries audio as well. My CMVS is connected to my retrotink SCART.

SCART is an RGB signal, if you use component you would have to use RGB then convert it to component before going to the upscaler.

RGB is better than component, but just by a little bit

Thanks for the clarification. As for the audio, as I have read the MV 1C, when taking the audio from the 9480F chip, the stereo sound has a very low level. Will this affect the HDMI audio output or would the Retrotink preamp the signal?

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
It should be line level off the chip. Made a CMVS MV1C for a friend and did nothing to the audio except run it to the DIN 8 I put on the enclosure. He runs it through the OSSC just fine, can't say it ever sounded quiet but you could always just turn up the TV?

Sho G.

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
It should be line level off the chip. Made a CMVS MV1C for a friend and did nothing to the audio except run it to the DIN 8 I put on the enclosure. He runs it through the OSSC just fine, can't say it ever sounded quiet but you could always just turn up the TV?

Thanks for the info. As I have read, the Retrotink has a DAC that outputs 24-bit stereo sound, so it must be good quality. In case the sound is low, I could turn up the volume on the TV. Another option would be to bridge the audio at the same time and solder some RCA jacks to it on the box and connect it to an amplifier. But I don't know if bridging the audio outputs works well.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It isn't too quiet. The line level off the MV-1C DAC is just fine.