KOF ‘98 MVS Settings Question - Slugfest Never Ends

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
This isn’t that technical of a question yet it is a bit more technical than some...

So I prefer the name Dream Match Never Ends (to The Slugfest) but I also would like the game in English. This seems to be impossible to do in either the standard Service menu or with the aid of the UNIBIOS (I think I have 2.3). It’s because of that FBI thing...if you are in “other than the US” it skips the FBI warning but gives every language except English. I guess arcades in the UK/Australia/SA/etc just got a free FBI warning for no reason?

So is there perhaps a debug/memory patch/cheat that could do this? Cheats don’t work in the service menu so I guess I need one that alters the title screen once the game is in US mode or the opposite, a cheat that makes the game English despite the selected language being something else.

IIRC it’s no problem on Neo CD (no FBI warning...) but obviously nobody prefers this game on CD...

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
UPDATE: I did a bit more messing around...

When running in Japan AES mode it is possible to select English and that way get Dream Match and English in-game text. But how to do it in MVS mode?

In US MVS mode you get The Slugfest and the FBI message.

In Euro Arcade mode you get Slugfest, but not the the FBI warning.

Japan Arcade mode doesn’t show the FBI screen and shows Dream Match but doesn’t offer English.

So the in-game language selected doesn’t matter. Dream Match Never Ends only shows on the Japanese title screen. So is it possible to devise a memory patch to either a: make US KOF 98 display Japan KOF 98’s title screen or b: force Japan KOF 98 to run in English?

Last edited: