Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new consolized MVS has dropped, the "Open MVS" AKA "OMVS"

Lt. Laser

A new consolized MVS has dropped, the "Open MVS" AKA "OMVS"

My buddy Avram (avramce here) spent a long while on this project and it just dropped today.

Here's a video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKuG...gxMjAjyA-HZ8IQ

Links to the order page etc. are in the video description. It's sold both complete and as a DIY kit.

Personally, I love the shell and concept surrounding this project. It was designed around getting quality CMVS units more readily available to everyone.
    Last edited by Loefye; 01-17-2021 at 01:20 PM.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

I like the way it just connects up to the Jamma edge, very neat and tidy.

SHOCKbox Developer
    How much for the kit?
    BB
    In case of 'PM BOX FULL ANXIETY' , E-MAIL ME

bigbearatdreamamusement.net replace "at" with an "@"

I'd like to sincerely THANK everybody that supported SHOCKbox over the (EST 2001) 8 - 9 years I did it.
    http://www.dreamamusement.net/photos/sth.gif is stocking the SHOCKbox right now!! They also have a huge library of SHOCKbox inserts for DL and or printing.
    LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

I'm not protecting myself from you....I'M PROTECTING YOU FROM ME.
    SKYWAY PRO Keep this a secret!

Lt. Laser

Quote Originally Posted by BIG BEAR View Post
    How much for the kit?
    BB
    When you're filling out the order form there's a check box for DIY that subtracts from the total if you select it.

The order form is here: https://taitoc.org/preorder

Total price depends on options selected, but opting for DIY subtracts $150 off, so from what I'm seeing roughly $200 for the DIY kit give or take.
    Last edited by Loefye; 01-17-2021 at 11:56 PM.

I'm part of the test group for the OMVS and I have one word to describe it: quality.

Dynamite RGB video and stellar audio.

It's well built and inexpensive for what it gives you.

I've had it for a while now and it's a fantastic bargain.

JammaNationX

He's a nice and respectful guy, I was glad to help him out with whatever questions he had. They turned out great, I love the slim, low profile look to it. Great job dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    He's a nice and respectful guy, I was glad to help him out with whatever questions he had. They turned out great, I love the slim, low profile look to it. Great job dude.
    Thanks Xian Xi, really humbling to get complimented by the creator of the most sought after CMVS builds ☺️. It was thanks to your site, my buddies Omega console and the Neogeodev wiki that I was able to learn as much as I did. Really happy that the response to the project is so positive, looking forward to seeing what type of forks or changes people add to it in the future. One person already wants to incorporate a NeoVGA in his build, another wants to see if they can get cart flaps working with the slot design.

Hopefully people will continue to build on this baseline project once the files are released.

SHOCKbox Developer
    Hi,
    You start the shipping out on orders in May and the kits go for 150 USD?
    BB

I'd like to sincerely THANK everybody that supported SHOCKbox over the (EST 2001) 8 - 9 years I did it.
    http://www.dreamamusement.net/photos/sth.gif is stocking the SHOCKbox right now!! They also have a huge library of SHOCKbox inserts for DL and or printing.
    LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

I've been bumping the ETA based on how many pre-orders there are. I'm looking at a local 3D print shop to offload the printing as that is my limiting factor (one shell takes 24+ hours using three printers). If you are just getting the kit without the MV1C, it would be $200, unless you want a unpainted shell, which would make it $170.

To be clear, the $200 price tag includes: shell, front jamma break out board, rear AV board, 5V3a Meanwell PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    This looks pretty slick, I like the red/white nod to the MVS cabs.
    Thanks man, I went with a set of colors to best match the various CPOs for the cabinets:

Screenshot_20210119-134421.jpg

Robert Garcia's Butler

Open MVS? where are the files for the shell and pcbs?
    Play that shit like you just got your motherfucking check and couldn't come pick up the thang-KOF98

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Fight!! View Post
    Open MVS? where are the files for the shell and pcbs?
    They will be uploaded at a later date, but yes, we are looking into getting some people that can handle printing in various locales, especially those with heavy import taxes.

SHOCKbox Developer
    Would you do one in yellow?
    BB

LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

Robert Garcia's Butler

Quote Originally Posted by avramce View Post
    They will be uploaded at a later date, but yes, we are looking into getting some people that can handle printing in various locales, especially those with heavy import taxes.
    Neat! Can't wait.
    Play that shit like you just got your motherfucking check and couldn't come pick up the thang-KOF98

Quote Originally Posted by BIG BEAR View Post
    Would you do one in yellow?
    BB
    Sure thing, since the shell is PLA, most paint+primer adheres well to the shell, what do you think of this shade?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...4054/307244779

SHOCKbox Developer
    The gold is good! One of my selections will be the beige/white one ,top middle and then here will be my other preferences as I will be purchasing/pre-ordering several of these at one time.MATCH THESE UP FOR ME burnt orange,motw yellow and fire brick red.Also would it be possible to omit the MVS cutout so that the end user can use decals instead to dress up?
    BB

LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

Another Striker
    I think he may have meant that using the word “open” usually means some things. For starters, you couldn’t use anything that anyone had already copyrighted, you’d have to reverse engineer everything that isn’t open from SNK, chip makers, etc, and you’d have to make available all your designs. Without those two things “open” is a brand name.

The product looks amazing though, home run, very nice and a great value. I may get one just so I can play Neo upstairs.

EDIT: Hang on...what is this thing now exactly? I really don’t like watching videos for three seconds of information, please forgive me. Do I need a PCB? If so, why isn’t it mentioned or specified? And what do I get for $350, a 3D printed case and a use-specific supergun that is SD only?

Sorry to sound like a moron/jerk but I’m confused...
    Last edited by SignOfZeta; 01-20-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Robert Garcia's Butler

Quote Originally Posted by SignOfZeta View Post
    I think he may have meant that using the word “open” usually means some things. For starters, you couldn’t use anything that anyone had already copyrighted, you’d have to reverse engineer everything that isn’t open from SNK, chip makers, etc, and you’d have to make available all your designs. Without those two things “open” is a brand name.

The product looks amazing though, home run, very nice and a great value. I may get one just so I can play Neo upstairs.
    Yeah the usage of "Open" was really confusing, but he did clarify the gerber files on boards and whatever is the format for 3D printable objects will be uploaded.

About the product, the preorder page clarifies it a bit:

Base units will cost $350 and will include the console and a Meanwell 5V3A power supply. Console will have a Genesis 2-style mini DIN9 AV port, which is capable of RGB, C-Sync, TTL Sync and Stereo audio. Console will have the original battery replaced with a socketed rechargeable cell and the original heatsink will be removed (please indicate in the comments section if you desire to keep the heatsink in the event you wish to use the board in a JAMMA cabinet).

Consoles will include a 30-day warranty on the Neo Geo MV1C motherboard, and a 90-day warranty on OMVS components (front-panel board and AV-board).
    "Console" (which is RGB only) with a rechargeable cell mod, Jamma Board, RGB out and power connector boards, console-like shell, PSU. I think???
    Yeah dude just make a textual description of the thing if possible.
    Last edited by Burning Fight!!; 01-20-2021 at 05:14 PM.

SHOCKbox Developer
    For 350 USD, you get the whole shabang!...Everything is assembled and the pcb is included(supply,cable,etc)..once it arrives to your home ,you plug and play.
    What I'm after are kits...they're roughly 200 USD a pop and I have to supply the pcb which I already have secveral of ready to go.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by SignOfZeta View Post

EDIT: Hang on...what is this thing now exactly? I really don’t like watching videos for three seconds of information, please forgive me. Do I need a PCB? If so, why isn’t it mentioned or specified? And what do I get for $350, a 3D printed case and a use-specific supergun that is SD only?

Sorry to sound like a moron/jerk but I’m confused...
    Last edited by BIG BEAR; 01-20-2021 at 05:25 PM.

LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

Well, from here on out, it sounds like I'll only be offering the DIY kit, as I've already sold through my stock of MV1C boards. At the $350, it included a full console, including the shell, psu, and MV1C board.

This seems like a great deal. I'll probably be recommending this to people going forward. This inspired me to finally add a THS7374 to my existing CMVS.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

Mr. Big's Thug

This may be interesting also for us from another side of the pond but leaving the 3D printed case aside, since it will significantly increase shipping costs.

I'll keep an eye on this to check if the kits becomes available for the parts, excluding the mv1c and the case. If the price is right there could be business there from those not willing or not knowing how to DIY.

Cheers for the project, always happy to see new NEO thing developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawwa View Post
    This may be interesting also for us from another side of the pond but leaving the 3D printed case aside, since it will significantly increase shipping costs.

I'll keep an eye on this to check if the kits becomes available for the parts, excluding the mv1c and the case. If the price is right there could be business there from those not willing or not knowing how to DIY.

Cheers for the project, always happy to see new NEO thing developed.
    Yep yep, we are looking into getting the files to distributors in Brazil and EU, given the import/exports tariffs and the restrictions on shipping in/out of Europe at the moment. I'm sure it'll be much cheaper for everyone in the long run.

Angel's Love Slave

Well, from here on out, it sounds like I'll only be offering the DIY kit, as I've already sold through my stock of MV1C boards. At the $350, it included a full console, including the shell, psu, and MV1C board.
    Any plans for molded ABS shells?
    Sony PVM Club, Blast City Club, Egret II Club, Neo Candy Club
    WTB: Neo Geo MVS-U4/29

Another Striker
    Ok, thatís what I wanted to know. $350 is a deal if the board is included but since it wasnít specified by name I wasnít sure it came together.

Thread Information