A suggestion for PLASTIC MAKERS WOULD BE AES and MVS SLOT TOP SHELLS

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The Plastic AES TOP shells break easily and the metal slot shells are too inconvenient ,just not user friendly imo.
BB

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I keep hearing about this and still never had one break. I still own like 6 and must've had like 20 of them over the years.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I keep hearing about this and still never had one break. I still own like 6 and must've had like 20 of them over the years.

The top half AES system shell has nothing but air underneath to reinforce it, the AES has a lot of empty space inside the case. Many plastics also get extremely brittle as they age. The Sega Master System model 1 is really bad for that, I've had them crack before.

People incorrectly assume just because a plastic isn't yellowing or discoloring with age, it hasn't chemically aged or degraded. Old black or colored plastic can be just as brittle as yellowed beige ones.

Some new multi-slot MVS board plastic shells would be nice too.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The top half AES system shell has nothing but air underneath to reinforce it, the AES has a lot of empty space inside the case. Many plastics also get extremely brittle as they age. The Sega Master System model 1 is really bad for that, I've had them crack before.

People incorrectly assume just because a plastic isn't yellowing or discoloring with age, it hasn't chemically aged or degraded. Old black or colored plastic can be just as brittle as yellowed beige ones.

Yea, guess I got lucky because people keep mentioning that they crack easy. For me saying that watch one crack on me in the near future lol. I've shipped a bunch to James in Hawaii and they also survived. I do bubble wrap the shit out of them though.

Why would you want to replace the strong metal on the multi slots with plastic? Unless the metal is rusted beyond I wouldn't do it. Just sand it down and drop a few coats of paint and they look good as new.

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
My aes top on my gold system is seriously like egg shell. It cracks and gets reglued in various places frequently.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The multi slot metal frames are bulky,heavy and in the way.Multi slot pcbs need maintenance from time to time and that metal fame is not user friendly imo.
It was something I've been thinking about doing in the future but a suggestion I just wanted to toss out into the atmosphere
just in case anybody else wanted to give it a whirl...

In regards to the AES TOP SHELL ,when I replace cartridge connecters or do repairs(repair dept is closed atm.one over due left to get out), I request they mail me their AES SYSTEM MINUS THE TOP SHELL that way won't have to worry about it.

BB

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
The multi slot metal frames are bulky,heavy and in the way.Multi slot pcbs need maintenance from time to time and that metal fame is not user friendly imo.
It was something I've been thinking about doing in the future but a suggestion I just wanted to toss out into the atmosphere
just in case anybody else wanted to give it a whirl...

In regards to the AES TOP SHELL ,when I replace cartridge connecters or do repairs(repair dept is closed atm.one over due left to get out), I request they mail me their AES SYSTEM MINUS THE TOP SHELL that way won't have to worry about it.

BB

It might be really hard to make a new top shell that is close to the original and also the bottom shell. If it were up to me, there'd be an effort to just reproduce all the plastic parts in an AES, at minimum both the top and bottom.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

The AES has one plastic post in the middle under the cart slot, which rests on the mobo.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Did Quan do this with his Omega?

Did he do what?

At some point he re-designed the cart opening to be a tad wider to accept non-SNK carts shells better. I don't think he's done anything else different on the shells though beyond that.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
The AES has one plastic post in the middle under the cart slot, which rests on the mobo.

That only helps the very center of the top shell, the rest is all a free-for-all concerning cracks and weak points

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Did he do what?

At some point he re-designed the cart opening to be a tad wider to accept non-SNK carts shells better. I don't think he's done anything else different on the shells though beyond that.

I was just trying to say, Quan designed a new top, for his product. I’m sure someone could do the same with the AES console.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
That only helps the very center of the top shell, the rest is all a free-for-all concerning cracks and weak points
Yep. It's not nothing, but not nearly enough. I have an SMS1 with a corner missing as well. Wonder how hard it is to repair with bondo or something.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I'm doing a little clutter inspection and removal and I have here a custom made 2 slot casing weighing almost seven pounds alone.There was a member here that had a shop where he made these custom cases indentical to the two and 4 slots and he gave me one for supplying some samples to be reproduced...
I should have suggested he go with plastic! 7 pounds for a metal casing is waaay too much for a consolized unit imo!!! I can't even bring myself to even using this case it's sooo freag'in heavy !! It's like a car part! I'm going to snap a photo of this MOFO later!
BB

Last edited:

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
It's like a car part! I'm going to snap a photo of this MOFO later!
BB

Please do, I have a 2 slot and a 4 slot with no case, I was thinking of making some kind of perspex job but would love to see other peoples custom jobs

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
OK. this is an exact duplicate of the MV2(my favorite 2 slot model)that was powder coated the color I requested..Why didn't I request Cobolt/Steel Blue or BRICK/Fire Engine Red is beyond me.
Did you want me to remove the top and take a photo of the black base?
custom case front view
custom case back view
7 POUNDS OF PUNISHMENT! When it could be/should be a lightweight plastic.Like the type of plastic you carry your laundry in.A plastic that is durable enough to fall to the ground without cracking,pick up and dust off..
The only thing I can think of using this as is an example of what I would want but plastic mold.
BB

Last edited:

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Great stuff. you might find this interesting, a guy made a Sega Genesis case from acrylic, using acrylic glue.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
The Plastic AES TOP shells break easily and the metal slot shells are too inconvenient ,just not user friendly imo.
BB

Wow. If one of my aes cracked I would sell of the rest of my meager collection right away... in fear of being left with damaged goods . They are stored in the same conditions and hardly even played these days.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It’s the 1st Gen and 3-3 AES shells that are brittle. 3-4 to 3-6 are the ones that are made of stronger plastic.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
It’s the 1st Gen and 3-3 AES shells that are brittle. 3-4 to 3-6 are the ones that are made of stronger plastic.

I guess the AVGN has an early model then, his has duct tape wrapped around the corner by the power switch.

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
if china makes a lot of shell consoles and cart replacement and clones cases i dont know why in 2021 no one makes an Aes plastic shell yet.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
if china makes a lot of shell consoles and cart replacement and clones cases i dont know why in 2021 no one makes an Aes plastic shell yet.

Think of bad business ideas and you'll understand the why.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Think of bad business ideas and you'll understand the why.
These days we're spoiled by someone out there making every kind of crazy aftermarket doodad for our old consoles. It's no wonder folks expect it.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

they don’t even make replacement N64 shells yet for some reason, and you expect them to make them for something as niche as the Neo Geo?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I'm thinking the no 'NO BIG DEAL METHOD' would be for slot units is plexiglass and standoffs and be done with it.
That's the most economical and simple road to take at this time beacuse I am 100% anti-metal casing.
BB