Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: A suggestion for PLASTIC MAKERS WOULD BE AES and MVS SLOT TOP SHELLS

  1. #1
    SHOCKbox Developer
    BIG BEAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA
    Posts
    7,230

    A suggestion for PLASTIC MAKERS WOULD BE AES and MVS SLOT TOP SHELLS

    The Plastic AES TOP shells break easily and the metal slot shells are too inconvenient ,just not user friendly imo.
    BB
    In case of 'PM BOX FULL ANXIETY' , E-MAIL ME

    bigbearatdreamamusement.net replace "at" with an "@"

    I'd like to sincerely THANK everybody that supported SHOCKbox over the (EST 2001) 8 - 9 years I did it.
    http://www.dreamamusement.net/photos/sth.gif is stocking the SHOCKbox right now!! They also have a huge library of SHOCKbox inserts for DL and or printing.
    LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

    I'm not protecting myself from you....I'M PROTECTING YOU FROM ME.
    SKYWAY PRO Keep this a secret!

  2. #2
    . RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    8,261
    I keep hearing about this and still never had one break. I still own like 6 and must've had like 20 of them over the years.

  3. #3
    H = Heinously
    M = Massive
    G = Gonad
    HMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    4,799
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    I keep hearing about this and still never had one break. I still own like 6 and must've had like 20 of them over the years.
    The top half AES system shell has nothing but air underneath to reinforce it, the AES has a lot of empty space inside the case. Many plastics also get extremely brittle as they age. The Sega Master System model 1 is really bad for that, I've had them crack before.

    People incorrectly assume just because a plastic isn't yellowing or discoloring with age, it hasn't chemically aged or degraded. Old black or colored plastic can be just as brittle as yellowed beige ones.

    Some new multi-slot MVS board plastic shells would be nice too.
    Last edited by HMG; 01-01-2021 at 12:54 PM.

  4. #4
    . RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    8,261
    Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    The top half AES system shell has nothing but air underneath to reinforce it, the AES has a lot of empty space inside the case. Many plastics also get extremely brittle as they age. The Sega Master System model 1 is really bad for that, I've had them crack before.

    People incorrectly assume just because a plastic isn't yellowing or discoloring with age, it hasn't chemically aged or degraded. Old black or colored plastic can be just as brittle as yellowed beige ones.

    Some new multi-slot MVS board plastic shells would be nice too.
    Yea, guess I got lucky because people keep mentioning that they crack easy. For me saying that watch one crack on me in the near future lol. I've shipped a bunch to James in Hawaii and they also survived. I do bubble wrap the shit out of them though.

    Why would you want to replace the strong metal on the multi slots with plastic? Unless the metal is rusted beyond I wouldn't do it. Just sand it down and drop a few coats of paint and they look good as new.
    Last edited by RAZO; 01-01-2021 at 01:16 PM.

  5. #5
    MAX POWA SURGE!
    max 330 mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Richmond, VA

    Posts
    2,559
    My aes top on my gold system is seriously like egg shell. It cracks and gets reglued in various places frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneSage View Post
    fuck this gay earth

    -starks out

  6. #6
    SHOCKbox Developer
    BIG BEAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA
    Posts
    7,230
    The multi slot metal frames are bulky,heavy and in the way.Multi slot pcbs need maintenance from time to time and that metal fame is not user friendly imo.
    It was something I've been thinking about doing in the future but a suggestion I just wanted to toss out into the atmosphere
    just in case anybody else wanted to give it a whirl...

    In regards to the AES TOP SHELL ,when I replace cartridge connecters or do repairs(repair dept is closed atm.one over due left to get out), I request they mail me their AES SYSTEM MINUS THE TOP SHELL that way won't have to worry about it.

    BB
    Last edited by BIG BEAR; 01-01-2021 at 04:13 PM.
    In case of 'PM BOX FULL ANXIETY' , E-MAIL ME

    bigbearatdreamamusement.net replace "at" with an "@"

    I'd like to sincerely THANK everybody that supported SHOCKbox over the (EST 2001) 8 - 9 years I did it.
    http://www.dreamamusement.net/photos/sth.gif is stocking the SHOCKbox right now!! They also have a huge library of SHOCKbox inserts for DL and or printing.
    LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

    I'm not protecting myself from you....I'M PROTECTING YOU FROM ME.
    SKYWAY PRO Keep this a secret!

  7. #7
    H = Heinously
    M = Massive
    G = Gonad
    HMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    4,799
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG BEAR View Post
    The multi slot metal frames are bulky,heavy and in the way.Multi slot pcbs need maintenance from time to time and that metal fame is not user friendly imo.
    It was something I've been thinking about doing in the future but a suggestion I just wanted to toss out into the atmosphere
    just in case anybody else wanted to give it a whirl...

    In regards to the AES TOP SHELL ,when I replace cartridge connecters or do repairs(repair dept is closed atm.one over due left to get out), I request they mail me their AES SYSTEM MINUS THE TOP SHELL that way won't have to worry about it.

    BB
    It might be really hard to make a new top shell that is close to the original and also the bottom shell. If it were up to me, there'd be an effort to just reproduce all the plastic parts in an AES, at minimum both the top and bottom.

  8. #8
    Dogg-Father
    Neodogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH

    Posts
    3,701
    Did Quan do this with his Omega?
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

  9. #9

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    The top half AES system shell has nothing but air underneath to reinforce it, the AES has a lot of empty space inside the case. Many plastics also get extremely brittle as they age. The Sega Master System model 1 is really bad for that, I've had them crack before.

    People incorrectly assume just because a plastic isn't yellowing or discoloring with age, it hasn't chemically aged or degraded. Old black or colored plastic can be just as brittle as yellowed beige ones.

    Some new multi-slot MVS board plastic shells would be nice too.
    The AES has one plastic post in the middle under the cart slot, which rests on the mobo.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

  10. #10
    Cinema Ninja!
    bubba966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington

    Posts
    1,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Neodogg View Post
    Did Quan do this with his Omega?
    Did he do what?

    At some point he re-designed the cart opening to be a tad wider to accept non-SNK carts shells better. I don't think he's done anything else different on the shells though beyond that.
    http://i.imgur.com/thDfdTY.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/TBe9DYt.jpg

    [Rot] 2:38 am: Z'OMG... ANYTHING... is cool in 15/70... even GregN home movies

  11. #11
    H = Heinously
    M = Massive
    G = Gonad
    HMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    4,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    The AES has one plastic post in the middle under the cart slot, which rests on the mobo.
    That only helps the very center of the top shell, the rest is all a free-for-all concerning cracks and weak points

  12. #12
    Dogg-Father
    Neodogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH

    Posts
    3,701
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Did he do what?

    At some point he re-designed the cart opening to be a tad wider to accept non-SNK carts shells better. I don't think he's done anything else different on the shells though beyond that.
    I was just trying to say, Quan designed a new top, for his product. I’m sure someone could do the same with the AES console.
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

  13. #13

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    That only helps the very center of the top shell, the rest is all a free-for-all concerning cracks and weak points
    Yep. It's not nothing, but not nearly enough. I have an SMS1 with a corner missing as well. Wonder how hard it is to repair with bondo or something.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

  14. #14
    SHOCKbox Developer
    BIG BEAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA
    Posts
    7,230
    I'm doing a little clutter inspection and removal and I have here a custom made 2 slot casing weighing almost seven pounds alone.There was a member here that had a shop where he made these custom cases indentical to the two and 4 slots and he gave me one for supplying some samples to be reproduced...
    I should have suggested he go with plastic! 7 pounds for a metal casing is waaay too much for a consolized unit imo!!! I can't even bring myself to even using this case it's sooo freag'in heavy !! It's like a car part! I'm going to snap a photo of this MOFO later!
    BB
    Last edited by BIG BEAR; 01-04-2021 at 04:11 AM.
    In case of 'PM BOX FULL ANXIETY' , E-MAIL ME

    bigbearatdreamamusement.net replace "at" with an "@"

    I'd like to sincerely THANK everybody that supported SHOCKbox over the (EST 2001) 8 - 9 years I did it.
    http://www.dreamamusement.net/photos/sth.gif is stocking the SHOCKbox right now!! They also have a huge library of SHOCKbox inserts for DL and or printing.
    LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

    I'm not protecting myself from you....I'M PROTECTING YOU FROM ME.
    SKYWAY PRO Keep this a secret!

  15. #15
    Edo Express Delivery Guy
    kidchameleon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG BEAR View Post
    It's like a car part! I'm going to snap a photo of this MOFO later!
    BB
    Please do, I have a 2 slot and a 4 slot with no case, I was thinking of making some kind of perspex job but would love to see other peoples custom jobs

  16. #16
    SHOCKbox Developer
    BIG BEAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA
    Posts
    7,230
    OK. this is an exact duplicate of the MV2(my favorite 2 slot model)that was powder coated the color I requested..Why didn't I request Cobolt/Steel Blue or BRICK/Fire Engine Red is beyond me.
    Did you want me to remove the top and take a photo of the black base?
    custom case front view
    custom case back view
    7 POUNDS OF PUNISHMENT! When it could be/should be a lightweight plastic.Like the type of plastic you carry your laundry in.A plastic that is durable enough to fall to the ground without cracking,pick up and dust off..
    The only thing I can think of using this as is an example of what I would want but plastic mold.
    BB
    Last edited by BIG BEAR; 01-05-2021 at 08:20 AM.
    In case of 'PM BOX FULL ANXIETY' , E-MAIL ME

    bigbearatdreamamusement.net replace "at" with an "@"

    I'd like to sincerely THANK everybody that supported SHOCKbox over the (EST 2001) 8 - 9 years I did it.
    http://www.dreamamusement.net/photos/sth.gif is stocking the SHOCKbox right now!! They also have a huge library of SHOCKbox inserts for DL and or printing.
    LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

    I'm not protecting myself from you....I'M PROTECTING YOU FROM ME.
    SKYWAY PRO Keep this a secret!

  17. #17
    Edo Express Delivery Guy
    kidchameleon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland

    Posts
    344
    Great stuff. you might find this interesting, a guy made a Sega Genesis case from acrylic, using acrylic glue.

  18. #18
    Obsessed Neo-Fan
    2D_Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alphaville (with Lemmy)

    Posts
    4,496
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG BEAR View Post
    The Plastic AES TOP shells break easily and the metal slot shells are too inconvenient ,just not user friendly imo.
    BB
    Wow. If one of my aes cracked I would sell of the rest of my meager collection right away... in fear of being left with damaged goods . They are stored in the same conditions and hardly even played these days.
    Last edited by 2D_Master; 01-05-2021 at 02:28 PM.

    Crom, give us strength.

  19. #19
    JammaNationX
    Xian Xi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Waipahu, Hawaii

    Posts
    27,654
    It’s the 1st Gen and 3-3 AES shells that are brittle. 3-4 to 3-6 are the ones that are made of stronger plastic.

  20. #20
    H = Heinously
    M = Massive
    G = Gonad
    HMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    4,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    It’s the 1st Gen and 3-3 AES shells that are brittle. 3-4 to 3-6 are the ones that are made of stronger plastic.
    I guess the AVGN has an early model then, his has duct tape wrapped around the corner by the power switch.

  21. #21
    Rugal's Thug
    Jonap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spain

    Posts
    94
    if china makes a lot of shell consoles and cart replacement and clones cases i dont know why in 2021 no one makes an Aes plastic shell yet.

  22. #22
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    16,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonap View Post
    if china makes a lot of shell consoles and cart replacement and clones cases i dont know why in 2021 no one makes an Aes plastic shell yet.
    Think of bad business ideas and you'll understand the why.

  23. #23

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    8,994
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    Think of bad business ideas and you'll understand the why.
    These days we're spoiled by someone out there making every kind of crazy aftermarket doodad for our old consoles. It's no wonder folks expect it.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

  24. #24
    Why So Many X's?
    XxHennersXx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonap View Post
    if china makes a lot of shell consoles and cart replacement and clones cases i dont know why in 2021 no one makes an Aes plastic shell yet.
    they donít even make replacement N64 shells yet for some reason, and you expect them to make them for something as niche as the Neo Geo?

  25. #25
    SHOCKbox Developer
    BIG BEAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA
    Posts
    7,230
    I'm thinking the no 'NO BIG DEAL METHOD' would be for slot units is plexiglass and standoffs and be done with it.
    That's the most economical and simple road to take at this time beacuse I am 100% anti-metal casing.
    BB
    In case of 'PM BOX FULL ANXIETY' , E-MAIL ME

    bigbearatdreamamusement.net replace "at" with an "@"

    I'd like to sincerely THANK everybody that supported SHOCKbox over the (EST 2001) 8 - 9 years I did it.
    http://www.dreamamusement.net/photos/sth.gif is stocking the SHOCKbox right now!! They also have a huge library of SHOCKbox inserts for DL and or printing.
    LE GEEK SHOCKbox inserts

    I'm not protecting myself from you....I'M PROTECTING YOU FROM ME.
    SKYWAY PRO Keep this a secret!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •