Connecting a MegaKiosk DS-18 to 8 EL Panels

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Some background info:

The MegaKiosk DS-18 by Will Gentry has inspired me to build an Arcade Cabinet for my Sega Genesis.
(Yes, a Flashcart would be less work, less money and offer more games but below is the route I wan to take.)

MegaKiosk DS-18
1.jpg

The MegaKiosk DS-18 offers two features that I think make this project really cool.

1) You can cycle between 8 original game cartridges.
2) The hardware identifies the active slot with an LED.

So (in theory) I can build an Arcade Cabinet with a button to cycle to the next game and I can have an EL Panel that lights up to match the currently selected game.

This would operate just like a Neo Geo MVS 4-slot/6-slot.

But my skill are very much in the realm of hobbyist. I've replaced capacitors, batteries and repaired my Neo Geo 4-slot EL Panel to give you an idea of what I can do.

I started by building a control panel that will work with a Sega Genesis. It works great and by far the hardest part was the wood working.

The two small red buttons are not in use yet. They are intended to be a Reset for the Genesis and Cycle to the next game on the MegaKiosk DS-18.

sega-genesis-custom-arcade-control-panel-09.jpg

I'm currently looking into what to buy for my 8 Mini Marquees.

So far, I think this will work:

A6 electro-luminescent panel with leads and connector ($10 USD each)
https://glowhut.com/a6-electro-luminescent-panel-with-leads-and-connector/

I believe this inverter can power eight A6 sized EL Panels all at the same time.

Electroluminescent inverter for A3 size EL panel AC 100-240V ($30 USD)
https://glowhut.com/electroluminescent-inverter-for-a3-size-el-panel-ac-100-240v/
*I may only need to power one at a time.
**I'm not sure when someone would want AC vs DC for what I'm planning.

I asked Will Gentry how to tap into the LEDs that indicates the active slot. This was his answer:

"You can simply remove the LED and solder some wires where the LED was to a new LED"

Now for my Question:

How should I run power to each EL Panel and how do they connect to the MegaKiosk DS-18 LEDs?

The EL panels should only be getting power from the Inverter.

I was thinking about wiring all the EL Panels to the Inverter such they all light up when the inverter it switched on.
Then finding a way to break the circuit unless there is a signal coming from the MegaKiosk DS-18 active slot.

What do you guys think?

THANKS!

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Looks great, but couldn't you add 6 buttons for the few games that do use them?

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Looks great, but couldn't you add 6 buttons for the few games that do use them?

Thanks AppleiDog. It's my first project like this and I want to keep it simple where I can. And by far most games only need 3 buttons.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
First time hearing about this Mega kiosk project - very interesting all round. Thanks for sharing!

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
First time hearing about this Mega kiosk project - very interesting all round. Thanks for sharing!

It has some quirks. I have two Golden Axe carts that work in my Genesis. One of these carts will not work on the MegaKiosk while the other will.
I have seen this with a few other games. Not sure if it's because of some subtle difference in the electronics between the carts or maybe damage/age of one cart that doesn't give an original Genesis trouble but does for the MegaKiosk.

I've email Will some details and he said he'll look into when he has some time. It's very nice that he's willing.

The MegaKiosk also doesn't seem to work with my RetroTink 2X. Which was a bit surprising. I'm not sure how the MegaKiosk can affect video output.

It's still a very cool piece of hardware.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I've made some good progress. I now have working EL Panels that cycle with the selected game.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
first time I've heard of this but damn that looks legit

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I couldn't have done it without help.

Now I'm working on mounting the panels and running the wires so that they're not such a rats nets.

But it's great to see it working.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
That is REALLY cool!

With the button to switch games, this could be a cool project! very inspiring

Last edited: