Anyone interested in Twitch streaming from actual AES hardware?

I'm just starting up a new Twitch stream and I'm going to be playing a variety of classic consoles on it. I'm just curious if there's any interest in an AES stream. Any particular games that make for fun watching?

Also, if there are any other twitchers (??) out there running classic consoles I'd appreciate some feedback about how to best get the signal from my capture card to the stream without seeing the softwares window.

Thanks.

p.s. If you want to look me up I'd appreciate it. My name is "OMGhi2U". I'm going to be setting up a schedule in the next few days but mainly I'll be playing in the middle of the day, late at night and on weekends until I can figure out something more sustainable.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Shot you a follow! (https://twitch.tv/danadamkof)

Personally I only check Twitch sporadically and don't usually follow anyone's schedule. All I can say is that if I'm looking at my follow list and a game catches my eye somehow I'll usually click and watch that stream for an hour or two (as long as there aren't annoying issues making me not want to watch). Could be something I haven't seen in a long time or something I'm really feeling into at the moment and want to see more of. I'm fickle.

Which capture card are you using? Usually OBS should be able to read in the card directly (add it as a video capture device). If it's something old and weird like an HD-PVR2 or some older ElGatos then you might not have a way to do it otherwise, but something that junky will probably be annoying to use in other ways and you'll likely want to upgrade.

As for quality, your best bet is to run RGB into an OSSC ($110ish), which is then fed into a decent HDMI card. If that's too high on your budget then build a GBS-Control setup and use a cheap VGA to HDMI ADC on its output ($50ish total for that).

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yes.

The OSSC doesn't play nice with a lot of capture cards. May want to search for one known to work with it in 1080p mode.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I think you'll definitely find an audience for this. I've had many newer collectors (both of the Neo and Retro games in general) eat up the stuff I post on my instagram feed, so there is an interest out there in the community for those not as familiar with the Neo.

Personally, I'm not much of a Twitch guy - I've also been in the Neo scene since the mid 90's, so I'm not the target audience. :)

That said, if you'd like to focus on some Neo stuff on your channel, I'd recommend featuring some of the more obscure Neo games that don't get a lot of coverage. There's enough content out there from the fighting game community for the mainstream fighting games on the hardware. The more obscure AES games are $$$, though, and many of the most underrated games never got an official AES release. Unless you already have a decent collection of heavy hitters on AES, or have a Neo SD with the full library, streaming only AES content may be cost prohibitive in the long run for you. Streaming games like King of Fighters (pick your year) might not be as interesting as streaming something like Neo Drift Out , Super Dodge Ball, Neo Bomberman, Ganryu, Strikers 1945 Plus, etc.

Thanks for the input guys. Dan, thanks for the follow! I "whispered" you back!

So I'm using a Star tech usb3HDcap and my OSSC. So right now my system looks like this: AES ---> HD retrovision components ---> OSSC --->usbHD3cap --->PC. It's configured at 4x so the capture card is getting 960p input and it seems to be working well on the last few streams I've done. The issue I have is most likely with the Star Tech capture software. When I'm streaming it's showing the entire capture card window and not the game window. I've found a way to crop just the game window with Twitch studios app but then it won't display that cropped window in the stream.

There is supposed to be a way to set up certain parameters in the star tech software to let it stream directly to twitch without using twitch app but the instructions are all several years old and don't match up to twitch's interface anymore. I'm clueless!

My intention was to be able to set up different classic consoles on different days and actually chew my way through the library. I thought having a schedule and a few people following me would be motivation enough to see it through.

I have a pretty large console collection and this capture device allows me to connect everything from composite to s-video and component directly but adding the OSSC makes all the difference in the world!

One of the problems I'm running into with twitch is that you have to tell it what game you're streaming in your channel description but it doesn't have headers or tags for these older systems and games so you can't search directly. Not a fan of that.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I use a USB3HDCAP so something is wrong with your config if you can’t use it directly in OBS. I can just set it as a video capture device in OBS and off I go.

Edit: I see you’re using a Twitch app to stream. Try out OBS, or if you don’t quite like OBS, Streamlabs OBS (SLOBS) is another flavor of OBS that a lot of people like. It’s basically the standard in streaming software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: