Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about FFS and SS2 holding steady as the least expensive AES games?

H = Heinously
    M = Massive
    G = Gonad

How do you feel about FFS and SS2 holding steady as the least expensive AES games?

I see other people talking about this in passing. I myself find it both understandable and comforting.

For the most part, these two games (fatal fury special and samurai shodown 2, JPN version) were by far the best selling and perhaps the most iconic AES games and seem to still be the most common. Thing is though, common doesnít always mean cheapest. Super Smash Bros Melee was the best selling GameCube game and it is definitely not a cheap game, by GameCube standards.

Itís comforting knowing that FFS and SS2 are still the most easily obtained AES games. Itís comforting knowing that If you picked up an AES in 2020, 2021 or whatever, you can still have the absolute classics FFS and SS2 to go with it for very respectable prices.

Ace Ghost Pilot
    Lolifoxgirl's basement in the West Korean slums

Outside of Japan they’ve both climbed in price this year. Even the cheapie titles are creeping up to the $100 mark. Within Japan they’re still as cheap as dirt thank goodness.

http://www.neo-archive.com

Dodgeball Yakuza

Its cool that they are still cheap I guess. Crazy to see the prices of other common games like magician lord or mutation nation climbing.

That said if you pick up an AES in 2020 and are expecting respectable prices for home carts...
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1130/blastcitylogo.jpg

Choi's Barber

They are the only 2 homecarts I own, lol. Very happy that they are also 2 of the best Neogeo games. Legend of success joe and Quiz KOF could have been the least expensive...

Beast Buster

If you want to buy something cheap it's nice to have those as your options.

Thats how I obtained my SS2. Didn't get Special right away may aswell soon as prices are going up somwhat. I was able to find a bunch of copies cheap a month ago but today after searching im seeing alot less. Theyre sitting at $100 level right now if I include shipping in my country. Infact no aes game is below 3 digits.

And Its not like I totally dislike special or anything. I just find it hard to come back to after realbouts and 3. Seems like a big jump to me in quality of gameplay. But I will seeing as I have the crap Sega CD version by comparison.

Every system has affordable games, Turbografx, Vita, Neo-Geo. Many Japanese games are affordable such as KOF, Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown, but if we are talking English releases, that's different. Happy to have many purchased many Japanese games for good prices. ����

NEST Puppet

Unlike the Smash Melee example SS2 and FFS were pretty much both surpassed at some point by another title. It's a great starting point, though. The games are both good in their own right, but there's better games in their respective franchises and that's where you start seeing prices getting out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Meat View Post
    Unlike the Smash Melee example SS2 and FFS were pretty much both surpassed at some point by another title. It's a great starting point, though. The games are both good in their own right, but there's better games in their respective franchises and that's where you start seeing prices getting out of control.
    Samsho 2 is the best in its series tho.

I think it's great. Two of the hardware's best games and easy, quick wins when you first purchase your system. Lots of bang for your buck.

Hell, there are quite a few great AES games under or right around $100 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinAce View Post
    And Its not like I totally dislike special or anything. I just find it hard to come back to after realbouts and 3. Seems like a big jump to me in quality of gameplay. But I will seeing as I have the crap Sega CD version by comparison.
    Give FFS another shot for sure. It's just as solid as SF2: Hyper Fighting in the modern day. The Neo original holds up admirably. The Sega CD port is the worst of the bunch with the 68000 port probably being the best. Although, I have an affinity for the SNES port. It's damn good considering the hardware.
    Last edited by yagamikun; 11-27-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Camel Slug

Sam sho 2 has aged really well. Hands down the best in the series, the later ones just dont have the same feel. FFS i appreciate but i much prefer the Real Bout games but still for the money its great.

I would say if someone was going to get into AES these days to get those two games and a Neo SD
    Last edited by itsofrustratin; 11-27-2020 at 07:28 PM.
    The Offensive Orgy Mode!!!

Robot Master.
    Master Tasuke
    Eat Your
    Heart Out Bro'

SamSho II is my favorite.
    Hit detection...It's all about hit detection.

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

I have both FFS and SS2, can't say I play them an awful lot but I mean how can you have an AES and not those two games anyway? You should be banned if you don't!

Crazed MVS Addict

I have FFS and SS2 and although there are games that have surpassed them over time, I still think that they are two of the best in the snk catalog, I played them a lot in arcade rooms.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

This was a major factor in my getting an AES. Even if I couldn't afford any of the more expensive games, at the very least I could get two good fighters.

It took me a while to warm up to Fatal Fury Special just because it lacks so many of my favorite characters, but it's a decent game in its own right.

Kula's Candy

I got my FFS (excellent condition) for £10. SS2 was probably around £20. This was back in early 2000s.

It's worth noting back then games like Nam, Cyberlip, Superspy were dirt cheap and now those have climbed a lot. Maybe the day will come when the collectors finally buy enough copies that SS2 and FFS hit high values too? Wonder how many those games sold in total?

I agree and really appreciate FFS and SS2 being affordable. These games have broad appeal, making them a good entry point into the world of Neo Geo gaming. I truly hope they stay that way

That makes me happy. How many consoles can you say two of the most notably inexpensive titles are of this quality? Im trying to get a complete US saturn collection and have been at it for years. I remember when you could reliably get PZD1 and Sega Rally Championship (now even this MF is like $45) for a pittance. Such great quality starter games, those two hooked me on Saturn and I paid like in between 5-10 bucks each for them.

Samsho 2 was the first actual Neo Geo game I ever played, around 10 years ago. Still gives me the warm fuzzies. Getting back into AES this year (I know) and its definitely one Ill pick up right away and honestly enjoy it. Ive never played every single FF. Ive only played a handful, but outside of MOTW, I have the most fun with FF3, something about the announcer, the ambience of the game, and the tight control. I get a real 80s blue collar action film vibe from that game. I hear good things about FFS, maybe I should track that down and give it a whirl.
    Cool ass/helpful dudes: bartre, BlackaneseNiNjA,

Last time I was in Japan I picked up World Heroes 2: Jet for $40. That was the cheapest Neo game I found.

Genam's Azami Sharpener

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Meat View Post
    Unlike the Smash Melee example SS2 and FFS were pretty much both surpassed at some point by another title.
    It's like SS1 and SS2 are their own mini series, SS3 is an oddball, and SS4+ is its own series.

In that light, SS2 stands up very well and even not in that light, could still be argued as the best SS overall.

If nothing else, it's absolutely gorgeous. Some of the best pixel art on the entire Neo. Genjuro's stage is absolutely amazing.

https://www.fgbg.art/game:samurai-shodown-ii/genjuro

They probably have more of them in Neo Geo circulation than any other games.
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

Neo Geo Dip Switch wiki page

Quote Originally Posted by ratson View Post
    Wyo really needs to stay off the weed.
    Stuff isn't doing him any good, wow.
    expert recommendation.

King's Dry Cleaner

It's good. Samurai Shodown 2 is easily the best game on the platform. The more people that have access to it, the better. I really don't get the obsession with FFS though. It was still early Neo jank. I don't like the way it moves, feels, or plays.

King's Dry Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by konrad View Post
    I have FFS and SS2 and although there are games that have surpassed them over time, I still think that they are two of the best in the snk catalog, I played them a lot in arcade rooms.
    Nope. Nothing has surpassed SS2 and SF2: CE, actually. No other 1 on 1 fighters feel as good as them. People can make inane arguments about balance and other stupid shit as much as they want to, but the reality is that fighting games got too complicated and convoluted, and SS2 and SF2: CE are still the most fun to play. I really detest the direction fighting games went in. They made them move too fast and spazzy, added too many stupid systems (no, I don't want to pick between Visms and other dumb crapola you have to get a 4 year degree in just to figure out what the fuck is going on), and generally got less heterosexual.

Both must be considered for any Neo Geo owner, affordable yet.

Bao's Babysitter

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    I see other people talking about this in passing. I myself find it both understandable and comforting.

For the most part, these two games (fatal fury special and samurai shodown 2, JPN version) were by far the best selling and perhaps the most iconic AES games and seem to still be the most common. Thing is though, common doesn’t always mean cheapest. Super Smash Bros Melee was the best selling GameCube game and it is definitely not a cheap game, by GameCube standards.

It’s comforting knowing that FFS and SS2 are still the most easily obtained AES games. It’s comforting knowing that If you picked up an AES in 2020, 2021 or whatever, you can still have the absolute classics FFS and SS2 to go with it for very respectable prices.
    Even the cheap & common games like FF2, FFS, SS, SS2, AOF2 are more expensive than they used to be ten years ago. On Ebay, the price for a bare cart is what they used to go for with the box & manual.
    Shooters are expensive, even if they're common & less popular titles.
    Last edited by joe8; 01-04-2021 at 06:01 AM.
    Shock Troopers high score- 17,364,600

Thread Information