How do you feel about FFS and SS2 holding steady as the least expensive AES games?

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Even the cheap & common games like FF2, FFS, SS, SS2, AOF2 are more expensive than they used to be ten years ago. On Ebay, the price for a bare cart is what they used to go for with the box & manual.
Shooters are expensive, even if they're common & less popular titles.

Fucking Ghost pilots has gone nuts price wise. I see that game selling close to 400usd now

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
I think both just got a lot of copies - both sequels in one form or another and probably both at peak interest in the system and fighting games - early or later games probably just had lower print runs/distribution because either they weren't confident about 1st in series or one off game (metal slug aes for example) or were just later in the consoles lifespan where it may have been doing even less in retail/rental than it had been (also metal slug aes for example).

Last edited:

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Fucking Ghost pilots has gone nuts price wise. I see that game selling close to 400usd now

Yeah I saw it for sale a bunch of times for like 230ish like 18 months ago and always said I’ll grab it later.. Now I’ve missed the boat and don’t think I’ll ever get it. I would rather spend 400 on Dreamcast import shoot em ups these days..

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
While FFS and SS2 are both quality games, I think they're far from the "most enjoyable" in their respective series and thats why they remain cheap today. Personally I'd much rather play SamShoIV over SamShoII or one of the Real Bout entries over FFS anyday.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I just got art of fighting 2 for 40 bucks on the dollar. A Good game in its own right. Looking to get World heroes 2 next for about the same price because, why not?

flat6

n00b
While FFS and SS2 are both quality games, I think they're far from the "most enjoyable" in their respective series and thats why they remain cheap today. Personally I'd much rather play SamShoIV over SamShoII or one of the Real Bout entries over FFS anyday.

Personal preferences are subjective, and there's no shortage of people calling SS2 the best SamSho game.

When it comes to retro game collecting, how good a game is often has no relevance to its market price. It's simply supply and demand.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I was going to say Nam 1975 is another great <$100 title but I see it goes for double that now. I think it’s great FFS and SSII are cheap. My first AES game was Sam Sho 1 which has better artwork than 2 IMO and plays about as well if SSII ever gets expensive.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I was going to say Nam 1975 is another great <$100 title but I see it goes for double that now. I think it’s great FFS and SSII are cheap. My first AES game was Sam Sho 1 which has better artwork than 2 IMO and plays about as well if SSII ever gets expensive.

SS1 is still a beautiful game. I play it as much as SS2. The darker more serious tone of 3 is still my favorite though. 3 is still fairly cheap last I checked.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
SS1 is still a beautiful game. I play it as much as SS2. The darker more serious tone of 3 is still my favorite though. 3 is still fairly cheap last I checked.

I couldn't agree more. I'll always be a champion of SS3 - it's definitely the underdog of the series but has always been my favorite. Somebody once described it to me as Bushido Blade meets KOF 98, and I think that's the perfect framing for the game. You can still grab it as cheap as $120 on AES, which isn't too bad for anything AES in 2021.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
If you’re willing to spend the money on an AES, it’s nice to know you’re not going to have to cough up more than you spent on the system to get a couple of good quality games. God forbid if you wanted to showcase your system and the only game you could afford was legend of success joe. Your friends would think you were cray cray.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If you’re willing to spend the money on an AES, it’s nice to know you’re not going to have to cough up more than you spent on the system to get a couple of good quality games. God forbid if you wanted to showcase your system and the only game you could afford was legend of success joe. Your friends would think you were cray cray.

Funnily enough that game is expensive! Also it's the greatest game for the system so I don't know what you're getting at.