“Factory scuffing” on later AES carts. What’s up with this?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
A couple of my carts have this odd, square scuffing on the back of the shells. I’ve heard Shawn refer time this as “factory scuffing” in a couple of his condition appraisal videos on the Neo Store. What’s the deal with this? Is it really from the factory? I personally haven’t seen a ‘95 release with this type of scuffing, but it’s always later carts. The two pictures below are of my Magical Drop 3 and RBS carts. (MD3 has the lighter scuffs, RBS, heavier scuffing) In a video appraisal Shawn had a Slug 3 with the same scuffing, and I’ve seen other ‘96 and later carts with it (particularly ‘97-‘01, just from what I observed) I’m not trying to be a “collectard”, but I’m just genuinely curious about this, if other people have carts with these marks, and if anyone knows if it’s really from the factory.

MmUKADH.jpg

T3xQM38.jpg

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Probably from the embossed SNK logo inside the case scratching the back of the cart.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Exactly what Dr Shroom said. If you take out a home cart insert, you'll often see that, depending on how tight the transparent plastic pressed it, the same SNK logo can also leave an imprint on the paper. Looks kind of cool.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Yep. Just the wiggle jiggle of the cart as it backs that thang up on the SNK logo while being jostled in shipment.

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
For that always in mi games snap-lock case i put a little bubble paper under the cart for dont scatch with the logo. ;)

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Place paper towel or bubble wrap cut to size over the SNK logo.
BB

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
A friend told me if you jizz on the scuffs they wipe away without too much elbow grease

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
This thread has turned into gold.

For the record, I already put bubble wrap behind my snaplock games. The fact that Shawn used the buzzword “factory scuffing” to describe this general wear seems odd to me, especially since it’s not from the factory.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
This thread has turned into gold.

For the record, I already put bubble wrap behind my snaplock games. The fact that Shawn used the buzzword “factory scuffing” to describe this general wear seems odd to me, especially since it’s not from the factory.

I think Shawn used that term for games sold as new like in the old days of the NeoStore and for autistic Neo collectors who would demand a refund for the slightest imperfection.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I think Shawn used that term for games sold as new like in the old days of the NeoStore and for autistic Neo collectors who would demand a refund for the slightest imperfection.

Eh, in that context it makes sense.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member

Sounds like today's collectors too - except it now includes MVS.

Alphabet

Zero's Secretary
I remember putting some Acetone to minimize the scratch on them. You should try for that but just put a little or your cartridge would turn white.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I remember putting some Acetone to minimize the scratch on them. You should try for that but just put a little or your cartridge would turn white.

That's an awful idea, do not do this

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Yeah ABS and Acetone are great friends.