Thread: Strange Puzzle de pon?

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Strange Puzzle de pon?

Good friends, I know that mvs-scans does not have all the PCB Revs.

I bought a Japanese Puzzle de pon but im confused about is bootleg or no, it seems original for different reasons, but with eproms on it you never know.

-The welds do not appear altered, they look clean from the factory
    -The eproms come with letters painted in Japanese
    -The eprom seem different or better than the typical ones in bootleg, in this case they are NEC, Mitsubishi, etc ...

I hope you can get me out of my doubts, thank you!

Frenzy Football Player
    Lolifoxgirl's basement in the West Korean slums

Bootleg.

The Toshiba chips have the code of the game it was converted from: 074 - NGH-074 = Aggressors of Dark Kombat

The cart started life as Aggressors, and ended up being made into a Puzzle de Pon. Sad stuffs.

http://www.neo-archive.com

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Digmac View Post
    Bootleg.

The Toshiba chips have the code of the game it was converted from: 074 - NGH-074 = Aggressors of Dark Kombat

The cart started life as Aggressors, and ended up being made into a Puzzle de Pon. Sad stuffs.

WOW very bad deal convert a Agressors for puzzle de pon , can i program some eproms to come again in to agressors of dark combat in a easy way?

Some pics of the back of the boards would be nice to check the eprom soldering. Bet you can tell they're not factory made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonap View Post
    WOW very bad deal convert a Agressors for puzzle de pon , can i program some eproms to come again in to agressors of dark combat in a easy way?
    Yes. Look at a scan of ADK on the gotwalls site. You'll need to reporgram or replace all of the EPROMs on your cart with the correct rom files, depending on the rom sizes. Then check the jumpers in the scans.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    Yes. Look at a scan of ADK on the gotwalls site. You'll need to reporgram or replace all of the EPROMs on your cart with the correct rom files, depending on the rom sizes. Then check the jumpers in the scans.
    That would be the simple thing, the problem is that in this bootleg they used 1 pcb of agressor of dark kombat and the other pcb of another game that I do not know what it is, since it does not correspond to the AODK.
    Which complicates matters to simply program each chip and simply put it in its place.

How does the theme of jumpers work when you have to adapt a game to a board that is not yours?

EDIT:

In this case the only game that match exactly with these two PCB is: Fight Fever - GSC / 256B

Then i could simply program the fight fever chips an put in the respective locations and done?

What eproms uses usually for programing neogeo data of roms?

And for the last why a bootleg/conver it can re-use original chips from other game like this puzzle de pon? it dont cross data? thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Jonap; 11-19-2020 at 09:26 AM.

That's some nice detective work about the PCB. Unfortunately, there is a lot more to know about replacing the roms. You'll need to do some googling about boards and rom sizes. I'm not sure if that Fight Fever PCB is going to work for converting the game back.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Nothing like saccing two halves of two carts to make one bootleg.

Frenzy Football Player
    Lolifoxgirl's basement in the West Korean slums

Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    Nothing like saccing two halves of two carts to make one bootleg.
    Back in the day, when you had to sac two carts to make a convert/boot, Dion classified that as a “Big Game”. Therefor I deem this Puzzle de Pon a Big Game.

http://www.neo-archive.com

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

This the only thing that shows us is that puzzle de pon was a game that reported much more money in arcades than an agressor of dark kombat and whatever the other game was sacrificed, the scales of what it was worth 25 years ago seemed very different, less at the level of economic performance.

Thread Information