Tablet screen partially unresponsive.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I was out in the rain earlier, using my Android tablet, inside a plastic Ziploc bag, to protect it from moisture, and, with both my hands and the bag slick with water, the tablet shot several feet out of my fingers and face planted in the grass. Now, the top fifth of the touchscreen doesn't respond anymore. I suspect it was primarily the impact, but, a little bit of rainwater got inside the Ziploc too. The funny thing is, last winter, I dropped that same tablet on sidewalk cement and it worked perfectly fine afterwards--you'd think grass would have cushioned the impact. I dried it out, wrapped on the touchscreen corners, and opened the casing to have a look, and everything seems okay, but, the top part of the touchscreen still doesn't register pressure from my fingers. I only paid like $80-90 for it, brand new, and I've had it over a year, so, I've certainly gotten my money's worth, but, this is still kind of a bummer. I'm not that tech savvy, but any thoughts on what else I might try?

The tablet still works fine otherwise, I just have to turn it upside down if I want to use anything at the top of the screen. I bought a new Windows laptop and Android cellphone (which is a lot better than this tablet anyway) last month too, so, I'm not screwed or anything, I just kind of have a soft spot for that tablet, as we've been through a lot together.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I bought a twenty-five cents optical USB mouse from my thrift store (I probably already have a USB mouse somewhere in my clutter, but, fuck if I know where) and that circumvented the damaged touchscreen controls. A mouse isn't practical on the go, but, it's good enough at home.