Neo Geo Pocket Color Speaker Replacement

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Anyone know of a replacement that is sure to work and fit? From looking at the speaker it is 16 ohms.

From reading online the dimensions seem to be 20mm.

Tl;dr my speaker was never too loud when I got it, but now is barely audible. Headphone jack is still loud and clear

Just looking for a link on one confirmed to work and fits good.

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
Sorry because i dont have neogeo pocket and that problem, but its simple mechanism, simply buy a speaker with the same diameter and similar specs and thats all.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
try scrubbing out the headphone jack with iso and a toothbrush. You might have dirt or corrosion in there. If it outputs sound fine through headphones, but not the speaker, that may be the problem.

Maybe the solder joints are weak? When I installed a frontlight on my NGPC, i had to de-solder the speaker, and one of the wires looked like it wasnt fully soldered in. I didnt think I was having any speaker troubles before I opened it up, so I cant tell you if fresh solder worked or not.

You should be fine with the 20mm speaker tho. A GBC speaker is the right size, but its a bit too tall.

Hope this helps

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
I'll definitely try that. The wires on the speaker end are pretty small so I'll try reflowing + cleaning the jack.Sound is just fine on headphone out.

From reading these speakers dying seem to be pretty common from disintegrating. Was just looking for a drop in replacement. Below is one I saw in a youtube video of someone replacing it. With this in mind someone in the comments stated not all neo geo pocket speakers are the same and some consoles have extra depth for the speaker to sit in. I guess I'll find out when I open mine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O9Y3YAQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Thanks for the link.

I'm yet to open a NGPC (last version, the one that only released in JP) with a dead speaker problem so if the speaker itself is dead now I can try that one out.

Cheers.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Turns out the NGPC speaker was dead indeed, so I've ordered one of this. Will let you guys know if works and fits properly.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Sounds good. Let me know how it turns out.

I opened mine up and cleaned the potentiometer. Made the sound a little better but not great. Speaker output through headphone is loud. So replacing is a little moot atm since I can just hook up some external speakers/headphones.

So if it fits lets me know. I'll order one.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
It has just arrived. I didn't realize but there are 4 pieces of speakers.

Sadly you live in the US and shipping would be more than the speakers itself, othwerise I'd happily send you one for the cost of postage.

I'll try this (maybe tomorrow) and let you know.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Got it working first try. Fits perfectly and sounds seems as crisp and loud as before. Thanks for the tip!