NeoSD Pro loops back to menu

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
So, bought an NeoSD MVS Pro and right out of the gate I have an issue with games not loading. Running unibios 4.0 on an mvs1fz (tried multiple to exclude hardware) and an 2F. Downloaded the neo builder to create a set of valid neo files and put them on a class 10 sd card. Pro is running 1.7 R8.
When I flash a game- ram or flash and try to load it, the unibios screen is briefly shown after which it soft resets to the neosd menu. Tried many games, rebuilding roms etc. No succes. What could be the problem here?

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Also; a normal MVS cart boots up just fine so I can confirm it's not the MVS unit. Using Neovalidator 1.06 there is only one neo file with an error but that is because it concerns a homebrew title. 222 titles check out ok and a couple of sets are missing which I don't care about. So it's not the roms. I am inclined to think this is a firmware issue. Last thing I'll try is swapping out the unibios for a regular bios. If that doesn't work, I suspect there is something wrong with the NeoSD.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Ok, another update. This is the video of issue I'm running into:

Setup: My retroelectronic supergun is connected to an arcade powersupply which provides both 12V and +5V (no -5V) to my MVS 1FZ w/ unibios 4which has a battery mod. I tweaked so that it delivers +5.1V to the supergun. I then checked with the MVS1 powered on running the NeoSD (No SD card inserted) what the power draw is of a regular game when it's running. C3 on the Jamma board measures 4.2V Jamma components side, pin D4 measures 5.1V Jamma components side. Regular carts seem to work flawlessly, checked 3 random games. On the control panel side I connected buttons Up, down, left, right, A,B,C,D, Left Player start to the supergun terminal blocks, same for Player 2. Dip switch 7 is set to ON (Freeplay) and the backup ram has been wiped. All tests seem to be fine. I tried switching out different BIOS versions, even stock.

SD card: I am using a generic MicoSD card 16GB, formatted FAT32. Roms are validated using the NeoValidator 1.06. Couple of romsets missing but the rest is fine.

NeoValidator.PNG

Now, I noticed that the card is locked when I try to wipe it. Tools like diskpart etc. seem to fail. The card is write disabled apparently and no way to delete it(?). It was relatively new but cheap. Since the NEOSd writes back to sd card, this would go wrong. Is it enough to trigger a reboot? Maybe, hoping somebody can tell me. Tried putting it in arcade mode with a flashed game on the card, no succes.

NeoSD MVS Pro: boot to menu, a+d+start in game menu. Arcade = no. Backram set to No but have tried other options. Nothing that causes me to get trapped in an endless bootloop. Flashing games works ok. When I start a game, the NeoSD triggers a reboot straight to Menu.

SUPPORT: Tried opening a ticket over at terraonion but wouldn't you know it, it is impossible to register because nobody activates my account. I guess NG.com is the way to go then!

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Solved my problem but not because of you useless fucks!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Lol, what was the solution?

To be fair, only a few people have these so the tech support is going to be very limited outside of TerraOnion themselves.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Lol, what was the solution?

To be fair, only a few people have these so the tech support is going to be very limited outside of TerraOnion themselves.

True. It was probably my own fault for using shitty SD cards. Happy to get it working!

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Glad you got it sorted out.

Still waiting on my NeoSd pro mvs. Hopefully I won't run into the same problem and even if I do... thanks for sharing the solution.

It was the SD card itself, aye?

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Yes, in combination with player 1 button short when closing the panel. I noticed.a bent pin so when I fixed that and put a decent sd card in, it worked!