Which is the best of these 3 shooters?

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Pulstar
Neo XYX
Viewpoint

Stuck on what game to get. Don't have nearly enough money or time to get all of them. Im very into difficult games and love to try over and over and get the most out of them. I have played last resort to death and its time to move on. And really only these 3 have caught my eye. Tried to make a poll but as simple a fool I am I couldn't figure out how. Oh well the choices are there.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Viewpoint is cool and the 'viewpoint' of game play adds to the challenge.

XYX is cool... for homebrew... but it's not a real Neo Geo game.

Pulstar is a classic and has been the go to shmup for most people on the system. I didn't like it at first, but its really growing on me. Digmac just got a copy so he'll probably weigh in better than I can, but Pulstar has my vote.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Pulstar would be my choice. NGDEV games are not worth what they command on the used market. Viewpoint is a cheaper title on MVS, AES, and CD. If budget is an issue then take that into consideration. Pulstar, however, is the best game out of the three in my opinion. It's a superlative game that is a genuine test of skill and memorization. It's very fair, not "cheap" when you die. It's a very rewarding game when you progress through it. It's a must own on the platform.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
gameplay and graphics wise Pulstar is the best overall game. Viewpoint has an amazing OST though and is a solid game in its own right.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Yeah I was totally leaning towards Pulstar. I get the actual feeling that I'm missing something when I hear or watch a take on the game. Although Viewpoint does give me that feeling aswell to a lesser degree. Will "try" get my hands on an mvs copy before 2020 is over.

Neo xyx just seemed to me like the best ngdev shooter and I needed something vertical and was similarly in thier price ranges when I was scouting around. But I have noticed the disdain for them not being original and yyeah Pulstar does seem more up my ally. For sure.

Shmuppy

Banned
Pulstar of course:-) No-brainer. Then XYZ. About Viewpoint, if you are into sado-maso...

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Viewpoint is the hardest. Honestly it's my fav of the three.

Pulstar is certainly good. Not nearly as difficult as legend says it is. Then again I played Last Hope before I ever played Pulstar so I got used to how hard LH is, and it kinda made Pulstar feel moderate in difficulty by comparison.

I do like XYX. But good luck finding a copy. XYX was the most difficult MVS cart for me to get hold of.

Viewpoint is one of the most unique shooters on the Neo. And I think Pulstar is good, yet slightly overrated. XYX is harder to find than Viewpoint is to play. So I'ma vote for VP...

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
You can't go wrong with Viewpoint or Pulstar. I've never played XYX - but mostly because it never looked that interesting to me. Pulstar is easily my favorite horizontal shump on the Neo, and my favorite horizontal arcade shooter overall (this doesn't count console specific titles like the Thunderforce series). Viewpoint is a crazy amount of hard, like a whole order of magnitude above Pulstar in my opinion - and Pulstar is renown for its difficulty. Either way, you're in for a long, long, challenge.

Last edited:

Shmuppy

Banned
Viewpoint is the hardest. Honestly it's my fav of the three.

Pulstar is certainly good. Not nearly as difficult as legend says it is. Then again I played Last Hope before I ever played Pulstar so I got used to how hard LH is, and it kinda made Pulstar feel moderate in difficulty by comparison.

I do like XYX. But good luck finding a copy. XYX was the most difficult MVS cart for me to get hold of.

Viewpoint is one of the most unique shooters on the Neo. And I think Pulstar is good, yet slightly overrated. XYX is harder to find than Viewpoint is to play. So I'ma vote for VP...

I agree Viewpoint is very unique. The prerendered animations fit so well with the isometric perspective. But it is unnecessarily hard like boss 4 and then boss rush. Can you imagine Neo Memory Cards were sold for high price with save states of Viewpoint over here in Germany?

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...Pulstar does seem more up my ally. For sure.

Out of your list, Pulstar is definitely the game with the broadest popular appeal. Hence, chances are high that you'll like it. Viewpoint is very specific, but for me personally the better game, maybe because of this off-beat nature, but chances are that it'll be exactly the reason, why you won't like it. Last but not least, Neo XYX is interesting for one reason only, which is of course its nice TATE feature.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Viewpoint's stage one is good. Stage two is great. The rest looks bland and isn't much fun to play. I sold my first cart after just a few weeks.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Can you imagine Neo Memory Cards were sold for high price with a save states of Viewpoint over here in Germany?

I believe it!
Back in late ‘92/early ‘93, shortly after Viewpoint was released, and before the debug bios was available, I was so frustrated with not being able to pass stage 4 or 5 (can’t recall at the moment which one) that I purposefully took my MVS card to a local arcade just to play Viewpoint with the “2 player simultaneous / instant re-spawn” option setting that MVS had by default set on, so that I could then pass the boss, get the the next level, and save it to my card, so I could finally see what the hell the next stage was in the game. At the time, Viewpoint was just too damn hard for me.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Viewpoint falls off a fucking cliff during the second half of the game. Endlessly repeating level graphics and reused bosses. It's a mess.

The first 4 or so levels of Viewpoint are better than the same percentage of Pulstar though.

Ultimately, Pulstar is just a juiced up R-Type ripoff that really isn't as good as the original. At least Viewpoint kind of does its own thing.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Viewpoint falls off a fucking cliff during the second half of the game. Endlessly repeating level graphics and reused bosses. It's a mess.

The first 4 or so levels of Viewpoint are better than the same percentage of Pulstar though.

Ultimately, Pulstar is just a juiced up R-Type ripoff that really isn't as good as the original. At least Viewpoint kind of does its own thing.

This. Great post

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I really like Neo XYX but you’re not getting the proper game if you play it in horizontal display. It’s a PITA having to go tate for just one game on the platform. It’s definitely the best of all the NG Dev shmups though IMO.

Overall, I give Pulstar the win of those three titles, although you really can’t go wrong with any of them.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Ultimately, Pulstar is just a juiced up R-Type ripoff that really isn't as good as the original.

If I was forced to pick one, I'd take R-Type over Pulstar. But it's really damn close. Pulstar is an excellent game and well worth playing.

Shmuppy

Banned
If I was forced to pick one, I'd take R-Type over Pulstar. But it's really damn close. Pulstar is an excellent game and well worth playing.

Puhh, that is a tough choice. I probably would go with R-Type too. The sattelite mechanics are genius. Nah, I would take both and GradiusV as bonus;-)

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Pulstar. Music and bio-enemies are top notch. Great intro and ending. It's the best shooter on the system, IMO.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Pulstar is the best as far as production value but Viewpoint is my favorite to play.

Missile

Another Striker
I would go 1. Viewpoint (but only if you like this kind of isometric schmup) 2. Neo XYX 3. Pulstar

But they are all so different, it's a weird comparison.

As much as I like Pulstar, it is also slow and plodding at times. So the least enjoyable for me, altho still a very good game.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Pulstar raises my blood pressure

Viewpoint I can play the first three stages and chill out until dying and not caring to continue

Pulstar is the better-made game, but I'd rather play Viewpoint for 20 minutes instead

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Pulstar
Neo XYX
Viewpoint

Stuck on what game to get. Don't have nearly enough money or time to get all of them. Im very into difficult games and love to try over and over and get the most out of them. I have played last resort to death and its time to move on. And really only these 3 have caught my eye. Tried to make a poll but as simple a fool I am I couldn't figure out how. Oh well the choices are there.
Pulstar is generally considered the best of these three games, but it's also the most difficult. Blazing Star is a little easier than Pulstar.