Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best of these 3 shooters?

Which is the best of these 3 shooters?

Pulstar
    Neo XYX
    Viewpoint

Stuck on what game to get. Don't have nearly enough money or time to get all of them. Im very into difficult games and love to try over and over and get the most out of them. I have played last resort to death and its time to move on. And really only these 3 have caught my eye. Tried to make a poll but as simple a fool I am I couldn't figure out how. Oh well the choices are there.

Super Spy Agent

Viewpoint is cool and the 'viewpoint' of game play adds to the challenge.

XYX is cool... for homebrew... but it's not a real Neo Geo game.

Pulstar is a classic and has been the go to shmup for most people on the system. I didn't like it at first, but its really growing on me. Digmac just got a copy so he'll probably weigh in better than I can, but Pulstar has my vote.
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1130/blastcitylogo.jpg

Frenzy Football Player
    Lolifoxgirl's basement in the West Korean slums

Pulstar would be my choice. NGDEV games are not worth what they command on the used market. Viewpoint is a cheaper title on MVS, AES, and CD. If budget is an issue then take that into consideration. Pulstar, however, is the best game out of the three in my opinion. It's a superlative game that is a genuine test of skill and memorization. It's very fair, not "cheap" when you die. It's a very rewarding game when you progress through it. It's a must own on the platform.

http://www.neo-archive.com

Sieger's Squire

gameplay and graphics wise Pulstar is the best overall game. Viewpoint has an amazing OST though and is a solid game in its own right.

Yeah I was totally leaning towards Pulstar. I get the actual feeling that I'm missing something when I hear or watch a take on the game. Although Viewpoint does give me that feeling aswell to a lesser degree. Will "try" get my hands on an mvs copy before 2020 is over.

Neo xyx just seemed to me like the best ngdev shooter and I needed something vertical and was similarly in thier price ranges when I was scouting around. But I have noticed the disdain for them not being original and yyeah Pulstar does seem more up my ally. For sure.

Banned

Pulstar of course:-) No-brainer. Then XYZ. About Viewpoint, if you are into sado-maso...

Cinema Ninja!

Viewpoint is the hardest. Honestly it's my fav of the three.

Pulstar is certainly good. Not nearly as difficult as legend says it is. Then again I played Last Hope before I ever played Pulstar so I got used to how hard LH is, and it kinda made Pulstar feel moderate in difficulty by comparison.

I do like XYX. But good luck finding a copy. XYX was the most difficult MVS cart for me to get hold of.

Viewpoint is one of the most unique shooters on the Neo. And I think Pulstar is good, yet slightly overrated. XYX is harder to find than Viewpoint is to play. So I'ma vote for VP...
    http://i.imgur.com/thDfdTY.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/TBe9DYt.jpg

[Rot] 2:38 am: Z'OMG... ANYTHING... is cool in 15/70... even GregN home movies

You can't go wrong with Viewpoint or Pulstar. I've never played XYX - but mostly because it never looked that interesting to me. Pulstar is easily my favorite horizontal shump on the Neo, and my favorite horizontal arcade shooter overall (this doesn't count console specific titles like the Thunderforce series). Viewpoint is a crazy amount of hard, like a whole order of magnitude above Pulstar in my opinion - and Pulstar is renown for its difficulty. Either way, you're in for a long, long, challenge.
    Last edited by yagamikun; 10-15-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966 View Post
    Viewpoint is the hardest. Honestly it's my fav of the three.

Pulstar is certainly good. Not nearly as difficult as legend says it is. Then again I played Last Hope before I ever played Pulstar so I got used to how hard LH is, and it kinda made Pulstar feel moderate in difficulty by comparison.

I do like XYX. But good luck finding a copy. XYX was the most difficult MVS cart for me to get hold of.

Viewpoint is one of the most unique shooters on the Neo. And I think Pulstar is good, yet slightly overrated. XYX is harder to find than Viewpoint is to play. So I'ma vote for VP...

I agree Viewpoint is very unique. The prerendered animations fit so well with the isometric perspective. But it is unnecessarily hard like boss 4 and then boss rush. Can you imagine Neo Memory Cards were sold for high price with save states of Viewpoint over here in Germany?
    Last edited by Shmuppy; 10-16-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Banned

Sonic Wings 3

KoF Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinAce View Post
    ...Pulstar does seem more up my ally. For sure.
    Out of your list, Pulstar is definitely the game with the broadest popular appeal. Hence, chances are high that you'll like it. Viewpoint is very specific, but for me personally the better game, maybe because of this off-beat nature, but chances are that it'll be exactly the reason, why you won't like it. Last but not least, Neo XYX is interesting for one reason only, which is of course its nice TATE feature.

Die Gans

Viewpoint's stage one is good. Stage two is great. The rest looks bland and isn't much fun to play. I sold my first cart after just a few weeks.
    Originally Posted by kernow:
    Serious, serious problems man, you have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmuppy View Post
    Can you imagine Neo Memory Cards were sold for high price with a save states of Viewpoint over here in Germany?
    I believe it!
    Back in late ‘92/early ‘93, shortly after Viewpoint was released, and before the debug bios was available, I was so frustrated with not being able to pass stage 4 or 5 (can’t recall at the moment which one) that I purposefully took my MVS card to a local arcade just to play Viewpoint with the “2 player simultaneous / instant re-spawn” option setting that MVS had by default set on, so that I could then pass the boss, get the the next level, and save it to my card, so I could finally see what the hell the next stage was in the game. At the time, Viewpoint was just too damn hard for me.
    Some men see things as they are, and say why. I dream things that never were, and say why not.

King's Dry Cleaner

Viewpoint falls off a fucking cliff during the second half of the game. Endlessly repeating level graphics and reused bosses. It's a mess.

The first 4 or so levels of Viewpoint are better than the same percentage of Pulstar though.

Ultimately, Pulstar is just a juiced up R-Type ripoff that really isn't as good as the original. At least Viewpoint kind of does its own thing.

Creator of the Master List
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbousbeard View Post
    Viewpoint falls off a fucking cliff during the second half of the game. Endlessly repeating level graphics and reused bosses. It's a mess.

The first 4 or so levels of Viewpoint are better than the same percentage of Pulstar though.

Ultimately, Pulstar is just a juiced up R-Type ripoff that really isn't as good as the original. At least Viewpoint kind of does its own thing.
    This. Great post

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

I really like Neo XYX but you’re not getting the proper game if you play it in horizontal display. It’s a PITA having to go tate for just one game on the platform. It’s definitely the best of all the NG Dev shmups though IMO.

Overall, I give Pulstar the win of those three titles, although you really can’t go wrong with any of them.

Genam's Azami Sharpener

Quote Originally Posted by bulbousbeard View Post
    Ultimately, Pulstar is just a juiced up R-Type ripoff that really isn't as good as the original.
    If I was forced to pick one, I'd take R-Type over Pulstar. But it's really damn close. Pulstar is an excellent game and well worth playing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by city41 View Post
    If I was forced to pick one, I'd take R-Type over Pulstar. But it's really damn close. Pulstar is an excellent game and well worth playing.
    Puhh, that is a tough choice. I probably would go with R-Type too. The sattelite mechanics are genius. Nah, I would take both and GradiusV as bonus;-)

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith

Pulstar. Music and bio-enemies are top notch. Great intro and ending. It's the best shooter on the system, IMO.
    Last edited by 2D_Master; 10-16-2020 at 08:38 PM.

Crom, give us strength.

Mr. Big's Thug

Pulstar. Enough said...

Robot Master.
    Master Tasuke
    Eat Your
    Heart Out Bro'

Pulstar is the best as far as production value but Viewpoint is my favorite to play.
    Hit detection...It's all about hit detection.

Geese's Thug

I would go 1. Viewpoint (but only if you like this kind of isometric schmup) 2. Neo XYX 3. Pulstar

But they are all so different, it's a weird comparison.

As much as I like Pulstar, it is also slow and plodding at times. So the least enjoyable for me, altho still a very good game.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Pulstar and Viewpoint.

Pulstar raises my blood pressure

Viewpoint I can play the first three stages and chill out until dying and not caring to continue

Pulstar is the better-made game, but I'd rather play Viewpoint for 20 minutes instead

Bao's Babysitter

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinAce View Post
    Pulstar
    Neo XYX
    Viewpoint

Stuck on what game to get. Don't have nearly enough money or time to get all of them. Im very into difficult games and love to try over and over and get the most out of them. I have played last resort to death and its time to move on. And really only these 3 have caught my eye. Tried to make a poll but as simple a fool I am I couldn't figure out how. Oh well the choices are there.
    Pulstar is generally considered the best of these three games, but it's also the most difficult. Blazing Star is a little easier than Pulstar.
    Shock Troopers high score- 17,364,600

Thread Information