Missile

Another Striker
2002 is the best. Turn up the volume and enjoy

98 is good but too classy to win it.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
2002 is the best. Turn up the volume and enjoy

98 is good but too classy to win it.

The 2002 intro is absolute crap. That stupid vocal sample they butchered sounds terrible.

96 or 98 is my vote.

Shmuppy

Banned
How are you back from the dead?!

IDK, it's a mystery to me too. You gotta hang in there I guess? Don't give up Shmuppy, yapp... Thanks for asking. Too many things ... broke my heart, can't fix that...

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
My fave is '95, the Kusanagi/Yagami arc has a great presentation in this one and it was the first KoF intro I saw. Made an impression. Second is '97, it has some really good animations and not too many characters. Less is more.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Never played KOF, which should I try first?

If you're joking, then I like your sense of humor, very ng.com, if you're not... then know, that, depending how you count, there are about three KoF periods on the Neo Geo. Very roughly speaking and without going into detail, it's old school ('94-'96), new school ('97-'98+'99-'00) and post SNK ('01-'03). I recommend to try each period beginning with '94 then '98 and '02. If you insist to try only one, then either KoF '98, because it holds the widest acclaim, or '94, simply because that's where it all began.

Missile

Another Striker
The 2002 intro is absolute crap. That stupid vocal sample they butchered sounds terrible.

96 or 98 is my vote.

haha I love 2002 intro. Is awesome! Vocal sample fits it perfectly

See you are going for the classy but slightly plodding intros... Fair enough. But for me it's the fun, fast, loud one that wins it.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Never played KOF, which should I try first?

You have not specified which platform you want to use and when you are willing to spend, but in any case as playability I recommend 'KOF' 98' (a classic) and the thirteenth chapter (perhaps one of the best games ever made by SNK from 1973 to today).

As for 'KOF' 98' here you will find the move lists of all the existing characters ('KOF XIII' already comfortably has all of its listings within in the game).

The King of Fighters '98/Moves (normal characters).

The King of Fighters '98/Moves (special characters).

To play old games online there are of the free options like Fightcade (never use the keyboard), while the official versions are undergoing a major update through the rollback netcode.

If on the other hand you are also interested in history there is the Orochi ('95-'96-'97) and The Ash Saga (2003-XI-XIII), which still have a lot of charm today.

Last edited:

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
If you're joking, then I like your sense of humor, very ng.com, if you're not... then know, that, depending how you count, there are about three KoF periods on the Neo Geo. Very roughly speaking and without going into detail, it's old school ('94-'96), new school ('97-'98+'99-'00) and post SNK ('01-'03). I recommend to try each period beginning with '94 then '98 and '02. If you insist to try only one, then either KoF '98, because it holds the widest acclaim, or '94, simply because that's where it all began.

Thanks oliverclaude, I'll give them a try. I've actually never played any KOF, so I'm looking forward to a new series to get into. I'm a die hard Samurai Shodown fan :)