Thread: There are boots and then there is this thing.....

There are boots and then there is this thing.....

Ok, I found this today in a Strikers 1945 plus cartridge. Having done a bit of soldering, I kinda have to admire the amount of effort that went into creating this bootleg. I am amazed that it works at all.

IMG_1635.jpegIMG_1636.jpeg

Genjuro's Frog
    Lolifoxgirl's basement in the West Korean slums

That’s a new one for me. I’ve never seen someone stack rom chips for a boot. This poor cart has double bootleg-itus.

http://www.neo-archive.com

I'm kinda impressed.

Banned

I guess someone REALLY wanted to play 1945 Plus. I can relate. Respect.

Yamazaki's Pupil

I wonder if the first game can still think and feel things while the second game controls it and plays right through its paralysed limbs.

Cinema Ninja!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
    I wonder if the first game can still think and feel things while the second game controls it and plays right through its paralysed limbs.
    Hmmmm.... What's the original game under the boot I wonder? And is enough of it still there to restore the game back to it's original state?
    http://i.imgur.com/thDfdTY.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/TBe9DYt.jpg

[Rot] 2:38 am: Z'OMG... ANYTHING... is cool in 15/70... even GregN home movies

Genjuro's Frog
    Lolifoxgirl's basement in the West Korean slums

There is no original game on this. If you look closely both chips are EPROM chips. Because of the size of Strikers, my guess is that the ROM data is actually split between the two chips and they're being read together as one. Some of the later games have ROM files that are larger in size than standard 40 pin DIP sizes that you can buy today.

http://www.neo-archive.com

Banned

I’m still amazed that Strikers is 684 megs. Bigger than pulstar or blazing star. I think it’s the highest meg shooter on the neo excluding ngdev games

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan if it makes you happy. mmsadda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uncivil_enginee View Post
    Ok, I found this today in a Strikers 1945 plus cartridge. Having done a bit of soldering, I kinda have to admire the amount of effort that went into creating this bootleg. I am amazed that it works at all.
    Holy hell, that is genuinely impressive. That poor cartirdge, This is like something out of a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
    -Susan
    http://i.imgur.com/JdHuTfZ.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Coryoon View Post
    This guy [MmSadda] should have "real doll seller" written under his name
    ^do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digmac View Post
    There is no original game on this. If you look closely both chips are EPROM chips. Because of the size of Strikers, my guess is that the ROM data is actually split between the two chips and they're being read together as one. Some of the later games have ROM files that are larger in size than standard 40 pin DIP sizes that you can buy today.
    I bet your are right. Look at where the loose wire are attached, I think that is about where the read enable pin typically would be.

There’s no such thing as 64 meg EPROMs. The largest EPROMs manufactured were 32 megs. So any Neo cart that used 64 meg mask roms, and was a high meg game, required flash roms in order to make a bootleg. There is only so much room on the original SNK boards for roms. So if you were limited to using original SNK boards and EPROMs, then piggybacking is one of the few choices you have to get the job done. There’s just not much space inside a Neo cart to be using large daughterboards to double the rom space available. So piggybacking is one of the few solutions. There are some repro SNES carts of translated super famicom RPG’s that were high meg games, and piggybacking is done in those cases as well.
    Some men see things as they are, and say why. I dream things that never were, and say why not.

Angel's Love Slave

in fact, piggybacking is fairly common on boot carts. Those ones are easy spot when you get in-hand and notice the heavy weight they have.
    "appleTV-like" Consolized NeoGeo MVS builder (take a look here)

Mauru's Zoo Manager

I piggybacked my unibios because I'm a monster.

Thread Information