There are boots and then there is this thing.....

Ok, I found this today in a Strikers 1945 plus cartridge. Having done a bit of soldering, I kinda have to admire the amount of effort that went into creating this bootleg. I am amazed that it works at all.

IMG_1635.jpegIMG_1636.jpeg

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
That’s a new one for me. I’ve never seen someone stack rom chips for a boot. This poor cart has double bootleg-itus.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I wonder if the first game can still think and feel things while the second game controls it and plays right through its paralysed limbs.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I wonder if the first game can still think and feel things while the second game controls it and plays right through its paralysed limbs.

Hmmmm.... What's the original game under the boot I wonder? And is enough of it still there to restore the game back to it's original state?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
There is no original game on this. If you look closely both chips are EPROM chips. Because of the size of Strikers, my guess is that the ROM data is actually split between the two chips and they're being read together as one. Some of the later games have ROM files that are larger in size than standard 40 pin DIP sizes that you can buy today.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I’m still amazed that Strikers is 684 megs. Bigger than pulstar or blazing star. I think it’s the highest meg shooter on the neo excluding ngdev games

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Ok, I found this today in a Strikers 1945 plus cartridge. Having done a bit of soldering, I kinda have to admire the amount of effort that went into creating this bootleg. I am amazed that it works at all.
Holy hell, that is genuinely impressive. That poor cartirdge, This is like something out of a nightmare.

:eek:

There is no original game on this. If you look closely both chips are EPROM chips. Because of the size of Strikers, my guess is that the ROM data is actually split between the two chips and they're being read together as one. Some of the later games have ROM files that are larger in size than standard 40 pin DIP sizes that you can buy today.

I bet your are right. Look at where the loose wire are attached, I think that is about where the read enable pin typically would be.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
There’s no such thing as 64 meg EPROMs. The largest EPROMs manufactured were 32 megs. So any Neo cart that used 64 meg mask roms, and was a high meg game, required flash roms in order to make a bootleg. There is only so much room on the original SNK boards for roms. So if you were limited to using original SNK boards and EPROMs, then piggybacking is one of the few choices you have to get the job done. There’s just not much space inside a Neo cart to be using large daughterboards to double the rom space available. So piggybacking is one of the few solutions. There are some repro SNES carts of translated super famicom RPG’s that were high meg games, and piggybacking is done in those cases as well.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
in fact, piggybacking is fairly common on boot carts. Those ones are easy spot when you get in-hand and notice the heavy weight they have.