MVS-4 (ver 2 or 3) cabinet wihtout card reader slot?

Was the MVS-4-25 (rev 2 or 3) Cabinet originally available without a card reader and head phone jacks? Im going to go look at one tomorrow, and from what I can tell from the pictures, it doesn't have the slot in the front of it. I'm wondering if this is something operators often removed from the games.

It turns out the game did originally have a card slot. It was removed, and a blocking plate installed. It should not be too hard to undo.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Was the MVS-4-25 (rev 2 or 3) Cabinet originally available without a card reader and head phone jacks? Im going to go look at one tomorrow, and from what I can tell from the pictures, it doesn't have the slot in the front of it. I'm wondering if this is something operators often removed from the games.

Yes, many operators removed the satellite memory card units on the 4 & 6 slot cabs and blocked off or covered up the entry’s on the 2 slot boards. It had little to do with them not wanting players using memory cards, rather, it had to do with younger kids sticking gum and candy and all kinds of crap inside their which would often times cause damage, not just to the memory card port itself, but to the main board as well through short circuiting when the connection pins were bent and made intermittent contact.

Also, the cabs produced by SNK later on in the neo’s lifespan no longer came with the satellite memory card units, primarily as a cost cutting measure, but also because their wasn’t enough interest in the novelty of the memory card functions. So some of those later cabs had welded or pop riveted metal cover plates placed over the slit on the front panel, and it was actually done by SNK USA themselves at the production warehouse.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I always wondered what happen to the card slots on these cabs. I got lucky and found a two slot that was untouched.

My cab was missing both the card reader and the marquee light. I image somewhere out there in a box stuck in a dusty operators warehouse all the original boards sit, waiting to be tossed into a dumpster.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
my initial gut reaction was that this is ui_engineer's alt account.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Luckily there are good replacements for the MV-IC card reader now if your machine doesn't have one:

http://www.neogeoledmarquee.info/product/neo-geo-mv-ic-save-game-memory-card-repro/

Yes, many operators removed the satellite memory card units on the 4 & 6 slot cabs and blocked off or covered up the entry’s on the 2 slot boards. It had little to do with them not wanting players using memory cards, rather, it had to do with younger kids sticking gum and candy and all kinds of crap inside their which would often times cause damage, not just to the memory card port itself, but to the main board as well through short circuiting when the connection pins were bent and made intermittent contact.

Also, the cabs produced by SNK later on in the neo’s lifespan no longer came with the satellite memory card units, primarily as a cost cutting measure, but also because their wasn’t enough interest in the novelty of the memory card functions. So some of those later cabs had welded or pop riveted metal cover plates placed over the slit on the front panel, and it was actually done by SNK USA themselves at the production warehouse.
Good info. My 4-slot card reader had black gunk in it and pins bent. It's all cleaned up and working now though.