Kof 2001 garbled video

juanchomvs

n00b
Hey guys I was hoping some of you could help me with an issue I have. I have genuine kof2001 with garbled video I have checked for bad traces and reflow ed all chips and nothing I have audio is just the video that's causing the problem. Any advice?:mr_t: thanks in advance
;)

juanchomvs

n00b

This is what it looks like

I am almost sure it’s a chip error. How can I know which chip is bad? Is it possible to check with a multimeter?

Please help !

Last edited:

Misos

New Challenger
Probably a bad Neo-CMC.
Is every graphic affected or just the intro?
What you can do is replace the Neo CMC or use a donor board and use a decrypted set.

juanchomvs

n00b
Thanks for the response. Everything is affected. Also what's a cmc ( I'm a newbie) and don't have donor board but I want to buy a programmer and eproms is it possible to write the affected chip? The question is how to know which chip?

Misos

New Challenger
Thanks for the response. Everything is affected. Also what's a cmc ( I'm a newbie) and don't have donor board but I want to buy a programmer and eproms is it possible to write the affected chip? The question is how to know which chip?

It's a custom chip used to prevent piracy in games made post 99.
https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=NEO-CMC

Generally the games that use this type of chip are a little bit more tricky to fix.
There's no substitute chip, other than use one off another board, and you can't burn one either.

About the donor board process I wouldn't bother, kof 2001 uses 8mb C-roms and you would have to rewrite all the chips
and you can't find 8mb e-proms to buy anywhere.

Try to reflow the neo-cmc, use flux and a flat solder tip.

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You are most likely going to have to replace the game. Even if you did have the tech knowledge, your best bet would be to replace the game because a donor cart for the replacement chip will probably cost the same as a purchasing another copy.
BB

Last edited:

juanchomvs

n00b
Great advice thanks for the support. I will try to reflow the chip will let you know of the results thanks

juanchomvs

n00b
:lolz::lolz::lolz::lolz: oops trying to reflow the chip with heat gun I accidentally send a tiny capacitor from the board flying....
Now I can’t find it. Now is even worst :lolz:

juanchomvs

n00b
[video]https://streamable.com/b67dk1[/video]
Well I got it “working again” after re flowing the chip the picture is still the same
The audio works is not audible cuz speakers are off
And the black line is just the vhold happens with all working games.
Something else I should try ??
I just want this game to work is even kinda playable just video is a bit hard to see :lolz:

Last edited: