Neo-Geo MVS Real vs Reproduction (Database or Guide)?

museion

n00b
I asked this on the arcade museum forum but I forgot I had an account here and hoping my question can get a reply here.

I'm not a MVS expert, but I picked up a box full of Neo Geo MVS games yesterday evening, and was told that all of the games inside are original games. With that said, while some have original labels with serial numbers on them, a lot of them have ripped off labels or re-printed colored custom labels on them.

Is there a database for each game or some guide as I'm opening these, so I can easily confirm and identify that these are original or reproduction copies? I've opened a couple of games I own and see SNK logo followed by NEO-MVS with a part number and MADE IN JAPAN under that. And 99% of the chips are Toshiba branded with one SNK Corp one usually. Should that be the case on most if not all games? Do reproduction carts have something distinctive on them I can identify usually that will make this process easier?

Here is an example of a game from the box I just picked up. This is a Metal Slug 3 with a a custom colored printed label. Opening it up it's got the SNK logo on both boards but all the chips just have some basic chip numbers on them, not branded. So just curious as I see a few of those that are similar to this.

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated.

IMG-9057.jpg

museion

n00b
Thanks a ton, I super duper appreciate that link and the quick reply.

That is going to be super helpful. Thank you again!

Stay safe out there Everyone and try to stay healthy!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Nice crease right up the middle of that metal slug 3 label

museion

n00b
I wish people would stop opening their carts like that. It always ends with a ruined label.

Hey there, much appreciated for the feedback. I tend to not do it that way and kind of half open them and then try to remove the boards awkwardly. Though if you have a suggestion on how you do it, it would be great.

With that said, I'm only opening the ones with fake labels at the moment. They currently have a colored logo of the game (not even properly centered) from what looks like they found on a google image search, with no other info on the label. So I wasn't super concerned if the label was ruined or not.

But again, if you have suggestions on how to open, that would be great feedback.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hey there, much appreciated for the feedback. I tend to not do it that way and kind of half open them and then try to remove the boards awkwardly. Though if you have a suggestion on how you do it, it would be great.
That way is fine. Good luck with the boards. For the ones with real labels, I'd at least try to look through the vents to confirm mask roms.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
But again, if you have suggestions on how to open, that would be great feedback.
Best way is to open the cart just far enought to be able to pull out the boards. It's fiddly but it's worth it. Do this a couple of times and even putting the cart back together won't take you more than a minute.

Here's a recent example...

This is what I bought for 109€ shipped:
super_spy_listing.jpg

This is what I received:
Super_Spy_Received.png

I've been waiting years for a perfect copy to pop up and paid more than I should have. As far as I'm concerned that is now a 40€ game.
Same happened with Alpha Mission II a few years ago. It honestly pisses me off to no end.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
supergoose, I wouldn't get that anal about MVS collecting. That looks fine.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
supergoose, I wouldn't get that anal about MVS collecting. That looks fine.

Seconded. That’s a nice condition label in my opinion. Don’t be the AES shelf collector of the MVS world. When you get that anal about condition, it detracts from the enjoyment of the games and the hobby. It’s a 30 year old paper label at the end of the day.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
They can't, it's bled over. You can ask a premium for a uncreased label now. It is what it is.

When you get that anal about condition, it detracts from the enjoyment of the games and the hobby. It’s a 30 year old paper label at the end of the day.

Lol, thinking people play games anymore.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Damn, I thought ChuChu was the peak of this shit.....

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Super Spy and especially Alpha Mission 2 rarely have perfect labels. The label in the first pic has wrinkles in it anyway, so it wasn't even "perfect" to begin with.

Having bought multiple copies of almost every MVS game myself in order to collect the nicest possible version, I definitely understand the frustration. But at some point, you need to be satisfied with minor imperfections or it will drive you nuts. Hopefully it's not too late for you.

EDIT: Too late, you've been busted by the collectard police :keke:

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If your MVS labels aren't creased or your cases scratched up are you even a real MVS collector? I think not.