Final Romance 2 NGCD prototype footage found on VHS

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
JHRROv2.jpg

I purchased this VHS from Yahoo Auctions recently, not knowing anything about it other than what the label said on the tape and a photo of the footage that the seller provided. The label on the tape says something to the effect of "Neo Geo CD 'Idol Mahjong Final Romance 2' This video was taken in the middle of development". I didn't know if it was an in store promo, an early commercial, a video with just gameplay footage, or something else. I wanted to find out and document what was on it, though, so I scooped it up.

As it turns out, the VHS has 12 minutes of gameplay from what looks to be an early build of the game. There's changes throughout the game, including:

A different Video System logo that's missing audio

A different start screen (different gradient, different girl, missing Video System info)

Changes to the attract mode loop

A different "confirm" noise (can be heard when "Game Start" is pressed")

Starting the game, you get a different girl than the final version

User interface changes (command menu in game, points displays say You and Gal)

Not all of the girls win images are present/shown

Now, I'm really not too sure where the VHS originated. I would think Video System recorded it, but the label doesn't say. Could the footage have been used for advertising or a magazine feature? Possibly, I'm not sure. It's a curiosity to me, and if anyone has or has seen others like it then feel free to let us know.

Of course, this thread wouldn't be too fun without the video, so I recorded it and uploaded the raw footage for you guys to check out. If you wish to post the video somewhere else you're free to do so as long as you give credit and link this thread. The video is unlisted due to some NSFW content. Enjoy!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
niiice... thanks for sharing. I think I know a guy who worked on that game!

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
niiice... thanks for sharing. I think I know a guy who worked on that game!

Very cool! Do you still have contact with him? I’d be curious to see if he knows about this VHS and how many they made, if it was the development team doing the recording.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Very cool! Do you still have contact with him? I’d be curious to see if he knows about this VHS and how many they made, if it was the development team doing the recording.

it has been a long time, but I should be able to contact him yes, let's see if it leads somewhere!

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
You've had lots of cool finds lately, thanks for sharing.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Lewd. Also that surprise appearance by Alinamin V is welcome.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
So weird. lol. I mean, I guess my take away is that you need titties to make a game of mahjong exciting. Great find, though. Thanks for sharing, man!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
So weird. lol. I mean, I guess my take away is that you need titties to make a game of mahjong exciting. Great find, though. Thanks for sharing, man!

They had to keep the returning salarymen customers happy somehow :lolz:

Thank you for sharing Digmac :buttrock:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Nice one, thanks for sharing, Digi.

Slightly silly game but very interesting vid.

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Very cool, digging up VHS tapes from Japan because there is some Neo Geo stuff on it, that is some ambition.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
it has been a long time, but I should be able to contact him yes, let's see if it leads somewhere!

Even if nothing comes from it, it's still appreciated. Thanks Massi!

And thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm glad to be able to contribute.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Awesome stuff!! Always happy to see VHS footage like that preserved. Keep up the great work!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It's a pity it wasn't Legend of Success Joe 2 but cool nonetheless. Thanks Digmac!

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I'm glad the guy who made the videotape did the needful and recorded the most important parts of the game at the end of the tape.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Always amazing to see super rare finds like this pop-up. Just when you think there weren't any more surprises out there...

Alien cylinder vessel from Star Trek IV @ 1:15.