Beharbros releasing a consolized MVS: CMVS Ultra

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I didn’t see anyone posting up about this, so here it is in case you missed it.

1a1987_e8e0647ef42645178a9dc9dde3ded427~mv2.jpg

Beharbros (known for their DC video boxes) are releasing their own consolized MVS unit. The retail price is $460 USD. It comes in multiple colors, including black, red, and blue. Here’s some more info taken directly from their website:

CMVS Ultra is the most advanced consolized MVS ever...
Features:
- Based on the Original Neo Geo MV1-C mainboard, cleaned and modded
- Custom designed full metal enclosure
- Custom Jamma I/O board simplifies the cabling inside
- Custom impedance matching RGBS Scart video output board with renown THS7374 chip
- Custom FPGA based VGA16 Scandoubler board for 480p VGA/YPbPr(Component) output with scanlines and pixel blending options that can be selected with dipswitches
- Gold RCA jacks for Stereo audio output
- Replaceable battery (CR2032)
- Latest Unibios with NeoBiosMasta is included, for upgrading easily
- 2x Neo Geo Controller ports
- Aluminum Hi-Fi feet
- Magnetic cartridge slot cover made from plexiglass,
- High quality 110/220V AC adapter, 5V 3A
- High quality 1 meter Sony Scart cable
- OSSC safe

I’m personally not a fan of that case design, but that’s just me. It might look better in black and with some sort of Neo Geo decal on the top. What do you guys think?

Store link: https://www.beharbros.com/product-page/neo-geo-cmvs-ultra

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
That looks disgusting and honestly I'm not sure if there is even a market for it. I'm pretty happy with my Omega, works well with my XRGB and my PVM using scart. Don't need scanlines or component.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
That looks disgusting and honestly I'm not sure if there is even a market for it. I'm pretty happy with my Omega, works well with my XRGB and my PVM using scart. Don't need scanlines or component.

I don’t think there is a huge market for it. The Omega has the leg up in terms of design and having the virtual memory card for a little bit more. Being able to save progress and scores on a consolized MVS is a big selling point IMO. The fake scanlines and pixel blending options appeal to a more casual market, to which I would recommend the CBOX anyway. There’s also people making their own consolized options now, so this market is saturated through already. I think if they could have made the price point more appealing, it could be a better quality CBOX contender.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
There's all of these CMVS designs out there and all of them are ugly for the exact same reason. I just don't understand why they all make the same design mistake. But at least it's not 3D printed.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
That plexiglass cartridge slot cover will be strewn with insertion marks in no time. Weird choice of material for something that is going to take wear.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
That plexiglass cartridge slot cover will be strewn with insertion marks in no time. Weird choice of material for something that is going to take wear.

I don't think it's what you're thinking of. It's not built into the case, but rather it just sits on top and covers the cart slot. You just take it off when you want to play. Kinda cheap design.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
The value proposition on this shit just isn't there.

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-7010-business-desktops-workstations/p/N82E16883995011?Item=N82E16883995011&Description=refurbished%20dell%20workstatin&cm_re=refurbished_dell%20workstatin-_-83-995-011-_-Product

We're straight up at the point where these shitty things cost more than a PC capable of running GroovyMAME with component or RGB out where you can play not only all the Neo Geo games, but all the CPS games and native PC crap like Cuphead or SF4.

And MISTer is even cheaper while letting you do most of this shit.

Real Neo Geo hardware's over.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-7010-business-desktops-workstations/p/N82E16883995011?Item=N82E16883995011&Description=refurbished%20dell%20workstatin&cm_re=refurbished_dell%20workstatin-_-83-995-011-_-Product

We're straight up at the point where these shitty things cost more than a PC capable of running GroovyMAME with component or RGB out where you can play not only all the Neo Geo games, but all the CPS games and native PC crap like Cuphead or SF4.

Nobody buys real hardware because it's the cheapest, most accessible, or most convenient way to play the games.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire

We get it you're poor. All you can do is MAME, but please. Shut.The.Fuck.Up.About.It

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
We get it you're poor. All you can do is MAME, but please. Shut.The.Fuck.Up.About.It

+2

For real though bulbousbeard, what happened to you? Your old posts weren’t so pissy as they are now.

Last edited:

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It reminds me of a baboon, would probably choose the baboon though.
I have not seen any nice looking CMVS yet, is that just on purpose?

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Poor my ass. It's just that I'm not dumb enough to fumble around with hundreds of carts when I want to play a game, just like I don't fumble through hundreds of CDs when I want to listen to a song.

It's called living in the 21st century. Try it some time.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Poor my ass. It's just that I'm not dumb enough to fumble around with hundreds of carts when I want to play a game, just like I don't fumble through hundreds of CDs when I want to listen to a song.

It's called living in the 21st century. Try it some time.

109C7A7B-8624-4764-81AF-E19D7FD47B4F.jpeg

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
From a design standpoint, how difficult would it be to add cart slot flaps like retail cart based consoles have?

Fairly nontrivial. At least for someone as stupid as myself.

So this is kind of the 0.9 version. I'm working on updating it with cart flaps in the future but it's surprisingly difficult to design them in a way that fits, works consistently, and doesn't cause unnecessary wear on the carts. Basically I'd rather put this out there now and struggle with the cart flaps down the line. If it ends up never working, at least I've made one more CMVS than Orc.one and I don't have to kill myself out of pure shame.

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
I don’t think Neo hardware is “over”. Some of us prefer the real thing, despite the cost of entry