Memory card AES/MVS

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
What memory card would you guys recommend? get the original one or JGO from stoneagegamer.
NeoSaveMasta looks good but seems like it is sold out and no news on new stock arriving

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I've got an original memory card that I got locally. I like that it's the original SNK card, but the battery can die in them which wipes your save data and then it'll need replaced. It's not a tough job, but it's a little fiddly to do.

The newer NeoSaveMasta/JGO style cards don't have any battery to worry about, and they hold plenty more saves than the original card. I think the original cards look better, but that's personal preference. You get more bang for your buck with these newer memory cards IMO, as well as them being more reliable over time.

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks for the info. Thing is they are around the same price tag new and old ones so i didn’t really know which direction to go and if the original was enough etc

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Thanks for the info. Thing is they are around the same price tag new and old ones so i didn’t really know which direction to go and if the original was enough etc

In your case I would go with a new one personally. You won’t have any worries about the battery or space for saves.

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I think you are right, weighing those two options i think the new one is probably the right choice for me

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I use a neosavemasta.

I do have a noob question. I was under the impression that memory cards just saved progress, not scores? However when I popped MS2 into my AES last night the top 2 scores were "FAG" and "DIC". I don't remember high scores ever saving before. Was I wrong this entire time?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
High score saving was introduced in a previous unibios release. I wanna say 3.2 or 3.3.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
High score saving was introduced in a previous unibios release. I wanna say 3.2 or 3.3.

Does it need extra space on the card to save high scores? My 4.0 has never saved scores for my home carts.

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Does it need extra space on the card to save high scores? My 4.0 has never saved scores for my home carts.

Maby you need to jump out of the comfort zone and grab an aftermarket one

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

Yeah. If your card is full from other saves, it won't save high scores. You may have to change the name of the memory card to end in an exclamation point to enable high score saves. From what I remember, NeoSaveMastas come with this preset.

Last edited:

bLiGhTy

War Room Troll
bought one of these from ebay a few days ago and am wondering if they are safe to use? I ditched the aes 161 in 1 because I didn't want to risk damaging my system and went with a neosd instead

es-1 mem card.jpg

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Oh that will fry the capacitors if the fluid is low. Always check the levels before using third party stuff man

GamingCult

n00b
I have both a standard card and NeoSaveMasta, if you can get your hands on the SaveMasta, it’s well worth the asking price. I may need to get a unibios to get those high scores saved.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Bump.

Is there anyone here who refurbishes neo geo memory cards? I heard it involves opening it with a razor and re-soldering a new battery in. I probably could it myself but my soldering abilities are shite and would rather pay for someone more competent to not destroy the card.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Bump.

Is there anyone here who refurbishes neo geo memory cards? I heard it involves opening it with a razor and re-soldering a new battery in. I probably could it myself but my soldering abilities are shite and would rather pay for someone more competent to not destroy the card.
Seems like everyone just gets the NeoSaveMasta or the JGO one instead of refurbishing the original ones now, knowing that there's no permanent fix for them. Any particularly reason you need the original? It can't even hold as much data.

I think I have two OG ones laying around that no longer work. One is mint in the box, but the other one came in a lot, and it's different. Pieces of the label are peeling off.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Seems like everyone just gets the NeoSaveMasta or the JGO one instead of refurbishing the original ones now, knowing that there's no permanent fix for them. Any particularly reason you need the original? It can't even hold as much data.

I think I have two OG ones laying around that no longer work. One is mint in the box, but the other one came in a lot, and it's different. Pieces of the label are peeling off.

I was thinking of selling the original for spares/repairs and buying a modern replacement as plan b if I’m honest.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If you have a recent UniBIOS, you don't really need a memory card at all, unless you need high scores saved. A UniBIOS has ways around the usual limit of 4 credits on a homecart system.

I was recently traded an original memory card that still somehow holds its save data.

Edit: here's an original memory card with a new battery over on eBay

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If you have a recent UniBIOS, you don't really need a memory card at all, unless you need high scores saved. A UniBIOS has ways around the usual limit of 4 credits on a homecart system.
And for the rest of us, who actually want to be able to save our data for various reasons, not just to get around the credit limit, that isn't true in the slightest.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
And for the rest of us, who actually want to be able to save our data for various reasons, not just to get around the credit limit, that isn't true in the slightest.
I guess... If you want to replay a specific metal slug stage for some reason? Unless you're practising for 1CC, I can't think of many games where saving progress would be useful, given how short most Neo games are.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Bought mine in 2006 and played Art of Fighting to test. Never used it after the test. It still holds the data but I don't want to start with the Mr. Karate fight when I want to play Art of Fighting. Also have a modern card I didn't use.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Bought mine in 2006 and played Art of Fighting to test. Never used it after the test. It still holds the data but I don't want to start with the Mr. Karate fight when I want to play Art of Fighting. Also have a modern card I didn't use.
Use it for Art of Fighting 2... and check out something not many people know exists as a feature.