Dion Dakis unloading NGF AES games on eBay

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Is Dickon new to you? Someone from 2003 should have an idea of him...

5f2acb4da736b90bbe51fa9fb7019408.jpg

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
most of the other auctions have obvious shill bids..FF3, ghost pilots to name a few

Last edited:

necron99

n00b
It takes real narcissism to think defacing something with your logo makes it a premium product. I have never understood why people would by their crap.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
He thinks he's a smooth criminal, but all he really is is a salesman for NeoSD, which looks cheap by comparison. This has put me off buying carts ever again :-(

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Don’t fuck with the Oakley auctions guys...those would go great with this purple suit I have.

The Jake

n00b
Not a fan of the ngf inserts. not sure if the people bidding on those know the infamy behind them.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Say it with me guys: "4 MORE YEARS OF NGF!!! 4 MORE YEARS OF NEO GEO FREAK!!!"

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm just going to say it. Tonk has one of the most badass last names of all time.

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Ok so this Dion has many fans here as i can see, what did he do in a short summary? Maby it can't be short

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Ok so this Dion has many fans here as i can see, what did he do in a short summary? Maby it can't be short

Whoo, boy! Loaded question.

This old thread gives many, many details, but some highlights below. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?58477-I-m-new-to-this-long-standing-feud-why-do-you-people-hate-Neo-Geo-Freak

One of the more egregious things he's done is take stock of actual SNK product and deface them by destroying original inserts, manuals, cart stickers and replacing them with versions that have the NGF logo. Or, in Tonk's case above, put NGF stamps on authentic pieces of games that are $$$$. There are photos of him and those he's duped into thinking what he was doing was some righteous act of God actually shredding authentic inserts at an event.

He single-handedly created a caste system in the Neo community where you were given rank based on how many "big tymer" carts you owned that you purchased from NGF - Big Tymer carts are the rare/expensive releases.

He repurposed a not small quantity of KOF 2000, a game that never got an official US release from SNK, as a NGF exclusive and created bootleg inserts and manuals, and passed them off as legit. He was sued by SNK. There was a similar scam with Shock Troopers 2.

When I was new to the community in 1998 (was 16 at the time) he got me with few scams - even had me print him a few inserts of games he didn't have so he could re-purpose them. It was all very odd and I wised up quickly.

Last edited:

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Whoo, boy! Loaded question.

This old thread gives many, many details, but some highlights below. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?58477-I-m-new-to-this-long-standing-feud-why-do-you-people-hate-Neo-Geo-Freak

One of the more egregious things he's done is take stock of actual SNK product and deface them by destroying original inserts, manuals, cart stickers and replacing them with versions that have the NGF logo. Or, in Tonk's case above, put NGF stamps on authentic pieces of games that are $$$$. There are photos of him and those he's duped into thinking what he was doing was some righteous act of God actually shredding authentic inserts at an event.

He single-handedly created a caste system in the Neo community where you were given rank based on how many "big tymer" carts you owned that you purchased from NGF - Big Tymer carts are the rare/expensive releases.

He repurposed a not small quantity of KOF 2000, a game that never got an official US release from SNK, as a NGF exclusive and created bootleg inserts and manuals, and passed them off as legit. He was sued by SNK. There was a similar scam with Shock Troopers 2.

When I was new to the community in 1998 (was 16 at the time) he got me with few scams - even had me print him a few inserts of games he didn't have so he could re-purpose them. It was all very odd and I wised up quickly.

I just had to ask what the issue was, since when i hit the search button i found 17 pages of hits regarding him.
Had a feeling he had done something shady, but just wasn't sure.

Ok, that is just straight up pretty damn weird shredding inserts.
Just read through that thread you posted, it is enough material for a book

This quote being my favorite: "Look man! You know absolutely NOTHING! I've known these people(?) since 94' & Dion has always been mentally disturbed from the time I witnessed him go off on a Tirade about how he was upset about the price of Neo Geo merchandise being "affordable" for all to enjoy! Back in 94' all the Carts were VERY REASONABLE and Dion hated it! He never wanted what he considers "common folk" to enjoy the games.

I now get the Trump connection, that is a great metaphor.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member

Those NGF inserts are just printed on regular paper? I honestly don't know I never seen one...

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Why would anyone want those NGF releases? They are defaced. I mean, outside of french neogeo fans. They love that stuff.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Those NGF inserts are just printed on regular paper? I honestly don't know I never seen one...

Not sure - I assume they are at least as good as what you can get from the OldStore. After I did a few prints for him back in 98 (through a local printer) I cut off all communication with him once I figured out his scam.

Why would anyone want those NGF releases? They are defaced. I mean, outside of french neogeo fans. They love that stuff.

If you're new to the Neo community, Dion can come off as knowledgeable and resourceful. Since neo-noobs don't have a base level of knowledge about Dion or the what has happened in the past with NGF, he does a good job convincing them that these versions of games are as highly sought after or even more so than official releases. The danger here is that because he is so convincing to new collectors, these versions of games are looked at as legit which can/have/will screw the market further than it already is. The thing to keep in mind is that while this forum houses many long-time community members, the majority of new Neo collectors flock to the FB groups where Dion is seen as some sort of victimized martyr by many people. Like it or not, Dion and NGF have become synonymous with the Neo Geo story overall.

Last edited:

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Not sure - I assume they are at least as good as what you can get from the OldStore. After I did a few prints for him back in 98 (through a local printer) I cut off all communication with him once I figured out his scam.

If you're new to the Neo community, Dion can come off as knowledgeable and resourceful. Since neo-noobs don't have a base level of knowledge about Dion or the what has happened in the past with NGF, he does a good job convincing them that these versions of games are as highly sought after or even more so than official releases. The danger here is that because he is so convincing to new collectors, these versions of games are looked at as legit which can/have/will screw the market further than it already is. The thing to keep in mind is that while this forum houses many long-time community members, the majority of new Neo collectors flock to the FB groups where Dion is seen as some sort of victimized martyr by many people. Like it or not, Dion and NGF have become synonymous with the Neo Geo story overall.

Well the Neo Noob me was lucky who guided me in the right direction, holding my hand through the start.