Original label?

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hello guys,

I'm having a discussion with a potential seller about a Real Bout Fatal Fury MVS english, for which he claims that the label is original.

Here are the pics of the label on both the cart and the box. I think is a repro label, not very good printed and worse cutted. Opinions?

He didn't want to open the cart so I can't tell if the boards are bootleg or not, just curious about the label since he has a friend "that knows a lot about Neo Geo" who told him that it was a SNK original label.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Repro label on the cart and box. The fact that he didn’t want to open the cart is a red flag. I’d just pass, it’s a common cart.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I'm not buying it but it was somehow to finish the discussion. Just checking what the community here thinks about the label.

He is willing to open the cart anyway, I'll ask him for pics of the board, now I'm curious.

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This just looks like it is printed on normal paper and hand cut with scissors

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Nah, I think he's honest but not well informed, and not willing to admit he got cheated when he bought this.

The game just have the cart and box, nothing else, so we can forget about the full kit.

I'm starting to believe the box was from other game and they used it to increase the price of the RBFF...

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't think it's a widely bootlegged game. Experts are sometimes able to fairly confidently verify real boards and mask roms before opening by looking through the cart vents.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Is it from Italy? I've have a Blazing Star with legit boards but had a similarly looking label that said Concorde B. Star.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Is it from Italy? I've have a Blazing Star with legit boards but had a similarly looking label that said Concorde B. Star.

No, it's from Spain.

Actually the seller seems legit, I bought a KOF 96, Goalx3 and Neo Geo Cup 98 from him, all of them original with good labels. I believe he got scammed with the RBFF and is refusing to admit the label is repro. He doesn't seem to know a lot about neo geo, but he's got a pretty good deal with this kits from an arcade operator.

All the games in boxes are matching full kits. Everything for 300€. Guess there are still good deals out there

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Right angled labels on MVS carts and kit boxes? Yeah nah mate, try again.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
And be properly cut, not that cheap scissor cut.

That were the two things I noticed and the reason I didn't buy the game.

Thanks everyone.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Have you tried peeling the label and seeing if there's another underneath?

I had the same copy, bought a couple of them from an arcade dealer around 15 years ago who was selling them as new. Funny thing is that underneath the cart's label, there was a Real Bout Fatal Fury SPECIAL one (IIRC a holo label which looked original). Opened them and they were originals.

I've seen a lot of these floating around since then, with the same labels, boxes and no serials/marquees/movelist, and I still wonder what's the story behind them.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate

I had the same copy, bought a couple of them from an arcade dealer around 15 years ago who was selling them as new. Funny thing is that underneath the cart's label, there was a Real Bout Fatal Fury SPECIAL one (IIRC a holo label which looked original). Opened them and they were originals.

I've seen a lot of these floating around since then, with the same labels, boxes and no serials/marquees/movelist, and I still wonder what's the story behind them.

I don't have the cart since I didn't purchase it but that's the same story the seller told me, that he've got it from an arcade operator who bought it like that directly from SNK (obviously not). If the actual label is underneath now I'm really curious.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
I don't have the cart since I didn't purchase it but that's the same story the seller told me, that he've got it from an arcade operator who bought it like that directly from SNK (obviously not). If the actual label is underneath now I'm really curious.

Actually they had RBFF SPECIAL labels under it (looking original, with serials and all), which is even stranger...

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Actually they had RBFF SPECIAL labels under it (looking original, with serials and all), which is even stranger...

Wait, but it was a RBFF with RBFF Special label? Or the game was RBFF Special?

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Wait, but it was a RBFF with RBFF Special label? Or the game was RBFF Special?

The game is RBFF, exactly the same as the picture you shared, but the label underneath the repro RBFF label was an original-looking RBFFS one. Both the kits I got were the same, that's why I was asking about that one!

Really weird... who and why would create RBFF kits using RBFFS shells/labels?

sylphia

Kuroko's Training Dummy

indeed, those carts with xeroxed label and kit box were "commonly" available in Europe years ago. I have seen relabelled Real About Fatal Fury, Pulstar and Viewpoint "kits" like this over the years. For these last two games, the carts had an original Japanese label under the fake label.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Relabeled carts with fake English labels over the original Japanese label are common. Back in the day, the fake English label usually wasn't as convincing.

Personally, I always remove the fake label and go back to the original Japanese one if it can be done cleanly.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Relabeled carts with fake English labels over the original Japanese label are common. Back in the day, the fake English label usually wasn't as convincing.

Personally, I always remove the fake label and go back to the original Japanese one if it can be done cleanly.
I had a triple label cart like this. It was a Puzzle Bobble bootleg with a fake label. I removed it, and there was an RBS label. Under the RBS label, was a Twinkle Star Sprites label. I ended up getting the RBS label off to where the TSS label was visible. It wasn’t pretty from the adhesive of the RBS label, but I sold the shell with the TSS label on eBay for close to $50. Not too shabby.