Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Playstation 2 Slim Not Spinning Disk Correctly

  1. #1
    Host for Orochi
    snes_collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Virginia

    Posts
    915

    Playstation 2 Slim Not Spinning Disk Correctly

    Just replaced my ribbon cable in my PS2 and now the disk is not spinning correctly. I hadn't used the PS2 in a couple years due to the ribbon scratching disk but a new laser was put in shortly before it messed up. Any advice is appreciated. Here is a video: https://youtu.be/0DzrDtG4o_U

  2. #2
    Geese's Thug
    DasiyAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    278
    I'd first make sure the ribbon cable is seated properly in both ends, it almost looks like something is shorting and causing it to stop spinning. Otherwise it looks like it could be a motor driver IC issue.

  3. #3
    Chang's Combo Meal #6
    Neorebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Posts
    2,135
    I freakin hate the ribbon cable issues on the ps2 slims, got a number of discs all scratched up because of it

  4. #4
    Host for Orochi
    snes_collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Virginia

    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by DasiyAge View Post
    I'd first make sure the ribbon cable is seated properly in both ends, it almost looks like something is shorting and causing it to stop spinning. Otherwise it looks like it could be a motor driver IC issue.
    Thanks, I checked everything and it appears to be seated properly. Here is a picture of everything:



    Quote Originally Posted by Neorebel
    I freakin hate the ribbon cable issues on the ps2 slims, got a number of discs all scratched up because of it
    Yeah I have had horrible luck with PS2's- this seems to be the console that really gives me trouble. If this thing wasn't modded I would have tossed it by now

  5. #5
    Geese's Thug
    DasiyAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    278
    You could always take the mod out and get yourself a nice fat 3500 Ps2. I can't think of anything other than the driver IC failing or maybe the laser shorting when you put the new ribbon in. Do the tape trick and see if the laser turns on when you give it power. You should be able to see a small red light being emitted.

  6. #6
    Host for Orochi
    snes_collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Virginia

    Posts
    915
    The laser does come on with power. Is it possible the ribbon cable could be bad? If it is the driver I will probably move on, take my loss and get another console

  7. #7
    Genyosai's Servant
    skate323k137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Earth, Dimension C137

    Posts
    2,978
    At this point I just use fat PS2s with HDDs installed. I ditched my ps2 collection of discs probably 10 years ago.

    If you need help going the hdd route, lmk. I use freemcboot still with hdloader, openps2loader works good too.

  8. #8
    Geese's Thug
    DasiyAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    278
    I mean it's possible but I wouldn't bet on it. If you have a multimeter test the cables for continuity and bend them around a bit. Could have a small break that causes it to stop connection when it gets moved a certain way. Other than that I say scrap it, sorry for your loss.

  9. #9
    Angel's Love Slave
    Digmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lolifoxgirl's basement in the West Korean slums

    Posts
    1,057
    It’s spinning the disc just fine. Those sounds are the ribbon running against the disc and the laser skipping on the worm gear.

    If I were you, get a nice 50000 series phat PS2 and have it modified, or go after a PS2 TEST debugging station.


    http://www.neo-archive.com

  10. #10
    NEST Puppet
    Hawwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Spain

    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by skate323k137 View Post
    At this point I just use fat PS2s with HDDs installed. I ditched my ps2 collection of discs probably 10 years ago.

    If you need help going the hdd route, lmk. I use freemcboot still with hdloader, openps2loader works good too.
    Is there lag on the videos? I tried it once but the laggy videos made me discard the option.

  11. #11
    Galford's Armourer
    NexusX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Houston, Tx

    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by snes_collector View Post
    Just replaced my ribbon cable in my PS2 and now the disk is not spinning correctly. I hadn't used the PS2 in a couple years due to the ribbon scratching disk but a new laser was put in shortly before it messed up. Any advice is appreciated. Here is a video: https://youtu.be/0DzrDtG4o_U
    Get a new PS2? They aren't really that expensive. Or just get a Backwards Compatible PS3.
    Last edited by NexusX; 09-09-2020 at 01:43 PM.

  12. #12
    Host for Orochi
    snes_collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Virginia

    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by Digmac View Post
    It’s spinning the disc just fine. Those sounds are the ribbon running against the disc and the laser skipping on the worm gear.

    If I were you, get a nice 50000 series phat PS2 and have it modified, or go after a PS2 TEST debugging station.
    If I replaced the entire laser assembly would that fix it?

    And thanks for the suggestion skate, I’ll have to look into that more

  13. #13
    Geese's Thug
    DasiyAge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    278
    Playstation laser assemblies suck, it's a max 50/50 shot they'll just drop in and work. Unless you have an oscilloscope to tune the laser after you install it I'd really recommend ditching and getting a new one

  14. #14
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    16,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawwa View Post
    Is there lag on the videos? I tried it once but the laggy videos made me discard the option.
    That's only if you're using a USB HDD which is inadvisable seeing as the USB on the PS2 is ver 1.1 and slower than the optical drive. The internal HDD has a max read of 66MB/s which is many times the optical drive.

  15. #15
    Genyosai's Servant
    skate323k137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Earth, Dimension C137

    Posts
    2,978
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    That's only if you're using a USB HDD which is inadvisable seeing as the USB on the PS2 is ver 1.1 and slower than the optical drive. The internal HDD has a max read of 66MB/s which is many times the optical drive.
    All of this.

    Internal HDD is the way to go, faster load times than optical for sure.

    Slow USB and Ethernet kinda cripple the slims, it's a shame.

  16. #16
    NEST Puppet
    Hawwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Spain

    Posts
    189
    Understood. I did indeed tried it on a slim via USB. Glad to hear that about the fatty ones.

  17. #17
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    16,351
    Quote Originally Posted by skate323k137 View Post
    All of this.

    Internal HDD is the way to go, faster load times than optical for sure.

    Slow USB and Ethernet kinda cripple the slims, it's a shame.
    The scph-7000x series (not 7500x or 9000x) still has the IDE pins available on the motherboard. If you like to torture yourself you can solder a 40 pin ide ribbon cable to them and run an SD card or HDD. Pity there isn't any room to really hide anything away unless you remove the optical drive.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •