Playstation 2 Slim Not Spinning Disk Correctly

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Just replaced my ribbon cable in my PS2 and now the disk is not spinning correctly. I hadn't used the PS2 in a couple years due to the ribbon scratching disk but a new laser was put in shortly before it messed up. Any advice is appreciated. Here is a video: https://youtu.be/0DzrDtG4o_U

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
I'd first make sure the ribbon cable is seated properly in both ends, it almost looks like something is shorting and causing it to stop spinning. Otherwise it looks like it could be a motor driver IC issue.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I freakin hate the ribbon cable issues on the ps2 slims, got a number of discs all scratched up because of it

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I'd first make sure the ribbon cable is seated properly in both ends, it almost looks like something is shorting and causing it to stop spinning. Otherwise it looks like it could be a motor driver IC issue.

Thanks, I checked everything and it appears to be seated properly. Here is a picture of everything:

38mk1tx.jpg

Neorebel said:
I freakin hate the ribbon cable issues on the ps2 slims, got a number of discs all scratched up because of it

Yeah I have had horrible luck with PS2's- this seems to be the console that really gives me trouble. If this thing wasn't modded I would have tossed it by now

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
You could always take the mod out and get yourself a nice fat 3500 Ps2. I can't think of anything other than the driver IC failing or maybe the laser shorting when you put the new ribbon in. Do the tape trick and see if the laser turns on when you give it power. You should be able to see a small red light being emitted.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
The laser does come on with power. Is it possible the ribbon cable could be bad? If it is the driver I will probably move on, take my loss and get another console

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
At this point I just use fat PS2s with HDDs installed. I ditched my ps2 collection of discs probably 10 years ago.

If you need help going the hdd route, lmk. I use freemcboot still with hdloader, openps2loader works good too.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
I mean it's possible but I wouldn't bet on it. If you have a multimeter test the cables for continuity and bend them around a bit. Could have a small break that causes it to stop connection when it gets moved a certain way. Other than that I say scrap it, sorry for your loss.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
It’s spinning the disc just fine. Those sounds are the ribbon running against the disc and the laser skipping on the worm gear.

If I were you, get a nice 50000 series phat PS2 and have it modified, or go after a PS2 TEST debugging station.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
At this point I just use fat PS2s with HDDs installed. I ditched my ps2 collection of discs probably 10 years ago.

If you need help going the hdd route, lmk. I use freemcboot still with hdloader, openps2loader works good too.

Is there lag on the videos? I tried it once but the laggy videos made me discard the option.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Just replaced my ribbon cable in my PS2 and now the disk is not spinning correctly. I hadn't used the PS2 in a couple years due to the ribbon scratching disk but a new laser was put in shortly before it messed up. Any advice is appreciated. Here is a video: https://youtu.be/0DzrDtG4o_U

Get a new PS2? They aren't really that expensive. Or just get a Backwards Compatible PS3.

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
It’s spinning the disc just fine. Those sounds are the ribbon running against the disc and the laser skipping on the worm gear.

If I were you, get a nice 50000 series phat PS2 and have it modified, or go after a PS2 TEST debugging station.

If I replaced the entire laser assembly would that fix it?

And thanks for the suggestion skate, I’ll have to look into that more

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Playstation laser assemblies suck, it's a max 50/50 shot they'll just drop in and work. Unless you have an oscilloscope to tune the laser after you install it I'd really recommend ditching and getting a new one

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Is there lag on the videos? I tried it once but the laggy videos made me discard the option.

That's only if you're using a USB HDD which is inadvisable seeing as the USB on the PS2 is ver 1.1 and slower than the optical drive. The internal HDD has a max read of 66MB/s which is many times the optical drive.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
That's only if you're using a USB HDD which is inadvisable seeing as the USB on the PS2 is ver 1.1 and slower than the optical drive. The internal HDD has a max read of 66MB/s which is many times the optical drive.

All of this.

Internal HDD is the way to go, faster load times than optical for sure.

Slow USB and Ethernet kinda cripple the slims, it's a shame.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Understood. I did indeed tried it on a slim via USB. Glad to hear that about the fatty ones.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
All of this.

Internal HDD is the way to go, faster load times than optical for sure.

Slow USB and Ethernet kinda cripple the slims, it's a shame.

The scph-7000x series (not 7500x or 9000x) still has the IDE pins available on the motherboard. If you like to torture yourself you can solder a 40 pin ide ribbon cable to them and run an SD card or HDD. Pity there isn't any room to really hide anything away unless you remove the optical drive.