Dead Home System Troubleshooting

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
I have what seems to be a dead Home System. I don't get any audio or video output. I have another system that works with the same power supply so that can be ruled out. I guess I should start by looking at internal power issues? I'm not super savvy. Any ideas on where to start?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
You sure this one that is "dead" is compatible with your existing power supply? What's your PSU and what board revision is your dead console?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Maybe someone plugged a 9-11V PSU into a 5V system...

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
Maybe someone plugged a 9-11V PSU into a 5V system...

Shit I sure do. This system hasn't worked for years. I feel like the problem started with the original PSU but can't find it. I ordered a 5v PSU and will report back.

Thanks gents.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
What does the sticker underneath say? There should be PRO-POW, or PRO-POW2 or PRO-POW3

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
Shit I sure do. This system hasn't worked for years. I feel like the problem started with the original PSU but can't find it. I ordered a 5v PSU and will report back.

Thanks gents.

Hyup that was it. Almost 20 years since I got my first home system. Had no idea there multiple voltages. Thanks guys.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
If you plugged a 10v PSU into a 5V system, then ordering a 5v PSU isn't going to solve the problem.

The 5v systems are not internally regulated so its fried. Quickest way to find out is to look at the bottom of the system for PRO-POW / 2 / 3

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I had a used AES back in the 90's that I had to return because it would usually reset soon after power up. I'm now convinced it was a 10v system with a 5v AC adapter. I remember the store employees were swapping power supplies with no regard to which type of system it was.

I imagine the separate power requirements have been the source of much consternation over the years.