New censorship of Baseball Stars 2 to placate China- All mention of Taiwan & Taipei gone.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
New censorship of Baseball Stars 2 to placate China- All mention of Taiwan & Taipei gone.

Now I'm curious if via ACA/Hamster, SNK has also patched the Super Sidekicks games. Taiwan also appears in those titles.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
kkb5oemmkpiowqpxt9zt.jpg

Very interesting. This also explains why Art of Fighting 2 has been excluded from all Neo Geo Minis, ASP, and the upcoming MVSX.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
There’s also the odd case of “Neo Turf Masters” being removed from the ACA Neo Geo release. The English setting says “Big Tournament Golf” like the Japanese setting.

Can someone fill me in on why things pertaining to Taiwan would have the need to be censored in this day and age? Feels like a bit of a rip that you’re not getting the original game.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
There’s also the odd case of “Neo Turf Masters” being removed from the ACA Neo Geo release. The English setting says “Big Tournament Golf” like the Japanese setting.

Can someone fill me in on why things pertaining to Taiwan would have the need to be censored in this day and age? Feels like a bit of a rip that you’re not getting the original game.

Whats up Digmac, concerning Neo Turf Masters, Augusta National, Inc. took issue with the name and now SNK doesn’t own the Neo Turf Masters mark anymore:
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4803:h7ov6h.2.1
The app version of Neo Turf Masters (via DotEmu) has also been delisted.

Concerning Taiwan, it’s been ongoing but this article lends some insight:
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/28/world/asia/taiwan-china-flag-tsai-ing-wen.html

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

On the PS4 ACA high score tables they don’t even display the Taiwan Flag next to the person with the score I guess so China doesn’t get butthurt, this isn’t for an SNK game but a Konami game so it’s across all games

4A7699EE-799C-49F6-BBA0-1EDB4010578A.jpeg

As far as name and other changes this makes the case for physical games at least ones made pre PS3/Xbox 360 era

Last edited:

Leback

Stakes Winner
How long will it take before Baseball Stars 2 (fixed) and (unfixed) will turn up on ebay?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
There's a Chinese stake in SNK and this sort of bullshit is to be expected.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How long will it take before Baseball Stars 2 (fixed) and (unfixed) will turn up on ebay?
With the Taiwan team blacked out on the cover with permanent marker.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

Yeah I was going to complain about it but since they're actually Chinese owned it's par for the course. Doesn't excuse plenty of other companies self-censoring for the sweet Chinabux though.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Its a weird feeling being intrigued by Chinese culture and also repulsed by things like this. Guess things are very shitty and complicated no matter where you go. I hear Switzerland is nice

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

The Chinese drove a stake through the heart of SNK as a preview of bigger stakes to come.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Its a weird feeling being intrigued by Chinese culture
Chinese culture really only exists outside of China at this point. In all the places the Chinese government hates, like Taiwan, the US, etc.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Chinese culture really only exists outside of China at this point. In all the places the Chinese government hates, like Taiwan, the US, etc.

Made me think of that Shen Yun performing group, they always perform in Philadelphia around February, the Chinese Government has tried to shut them down even here in the US, they do sound like a wacky religious cult though, but their performances are steeped in traditional Chinese culture.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/life/2015/03/12/shen-yun-tours-political-baggage/70163960/

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
The Chinese gov't tried to shut down Shen Yun???!!!??

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shen_Yun

Shen Yun does not perform in China. The Chinese government has attempted to cancel Shen Yun performances through political pressure via its foreign embassies and consulates.[36][37][38][39] Chinese diplomats have also sent letters to elected officials in the West exhorting them not to attend or otherwise support the performance, which they describe as "propaganda" intended to "smear China's image

The Chinese government attempts to stop Shen Yun from performing abroad by sending letters or e-mails to theaters.[53][54] In the United States, these attempts have backfired, notably in Orange County, California, Seattle, Washington, and Houston, Texas.[55] China's attempts to prevent shows in Spain, Netherlands, and Germany have also been refused out of respect for artistic and religious liberties.[55]

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
whoa whoa whoa this is a bit of a rabbit hole now!

"The 2018 and 2019 performances included lyrics and digital displays disparaging atheism and belief in evolution as "deadly ideas" and "born of the Red Spectre",[12][46] and is a common complaint of attendees of the performance. Reviewers characterized these contents as an "anti-evolution", "religious sermon", and "cult propaganda".[47] Many viewers and reviewers complain about such elements a misrepresentation of the show's content in Shen Yun's advertising, in a way that "feels more like propaganda than straightforwardly presented cultural heritage."

I'm gonna try to find some footage to see if this is all true. I thought it was literally just a kung fu dancing sort of gymnastics thing...

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

China gotta be harvesting those organs.

I have a friend who went this year. I don’t think she picked up on all that but she did find it boring, but I don’t put too much credence in that.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Chinese government attempts to stop Shen Yun from performing abroad by sending letters or e-mails to theaters.[53][54] In the United States, these attempts have backfired, notably in Orange County, California, Seattle, Washington, and Houston, Texas.

Orange County gets something right for once.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah I was going to complain about it but since they're actually Chinese owned it's par for the course. Doesn't excuse plenty of other companies self-censoring for the sweet Chinabux though.

Yeah good ole freedom fighting, liberal democratic businesses that sell out the very principles they supposedly hold dear just for some CCP bucks. It's fucking sickening.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Yeah good ole freedom fighting, liberal democratic businesses that sell out the very principles they supposedly hold dear just for some CCP bucks. It's fucking sickening.

i mean, guys, what do you expect? They're companies and the only loyalty they have is to the almighty yen / dollar.

Sad to hear about the censorship though. It's to be expected honestly. I've been paying attention to these issues for years and this is very VERY par for the course here. I mean, look at Top Gun.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Can someone fill me in on why things pertaining to Taiwan would have the need to be censored in this day and age?

China says Taiwan is China.

Taiwan says Taiwan is Taiwan.

China is pressuring other countries, and now companies to not acknowledge Taiwan so that when they invade they will not call it an invasion, but rather just moving troops around inside China.