Advice / Guidance

promking

Marked Wolf
Long time lurker here... I've always been a big fan of the AES console... I've decided I am done with emulation and want to play on an actual system...

It's been a long time since I've researched AES systems... Specifically I want to purchase a system that is recapped, unibios modded, and maybe HDMI out. But the HDMI isn't really a " need " for me...

Modders? Who do you guys recommend as far as someone who is reasonably priced BUT most importantly to me knows what they are doing! I am located in New York. Thanks for the help in advance!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Promking? :lolz:

Anyway... recapping isn't necessary unless there's a problem and HDMI out is silly considering there are a myriad of devices that convert RGB to HDMI already. Unibios is a good idea though, definitely get someone to do that.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Reach out to KennyBoy for some prices. His store/Ebay shop is Neotropolis, but prices are high there. He gives much better deals through personal correspondence as it waves Ebay fees and the like. I'm not sure who else does HDMI mods for AES consoles. You can often find S-Video or Component modded AES consoles on ebay for around $400. Bare in mind that any of the non HDMI solutions will require another external device like an OSSC, Framemeister, or RetroTink to accurately display on a modern TV. You WILL want some sort of upgrade as the composite video on the Neo is trash. The AES does support SCART out of the box with an additional cable, so if you have access to SCART that is your best bet.

You also might want to consider the consolized MVS route before jumping on the AES bandwagon. Most folks get into the Neo via the AES as they are unaware of the litany of options to play these games on real hardware - but usually end up switching to MVS sooner rather than later due to the ludicrous prices of the AES market and the workarounds you have to take to play some of the more sought after games. Unless you have money to burn, plan on only getting a multi-game solution and no additional games, or have lots of nostalgia for the AES from the past, it's hard to recommend for the retro gamer that wants to dabble in Neo-Geo collecting and isn't already a die-hard fan.

You might want to price out say...the top 5 games you are most interested in on both AES and MVS, then make your choice there depending on your own budget.

That said, anyway you get into the Neo is great as it helps keeps these games and legacy alive.

Good luck.

Promking? :lolz:

Anyway... recapping isn't necessary unless there's a problem and HDMI out is silly considering there are a myriad of devices that convert RGB to HDMI already. Unibios is a good idea though, definitely get someone to do that.

Also, what Lachlan said.

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
HDMI AES, and “reasonably priced” don’t belong together. If you wanted to buy a bundle already modded with an HDMI out and a unibios 4.0, you’d be looking at almost four figures.

What do you want to get out of the Neo? Do you simply want to play the games? If you’ve never had real Neo hardware before I recommend you just get a CBOX consolized MVS. It has more outputs than a standard AES, supports Neo DB15 controllers, Saturn controllers, comes with a Unibios out of the box, and the library of games is a heck of a lot cheaper, even the 161 in 1 is cheaper if you wanted to go that route.

If you want reasonably priced, the CBOX route makes more sense for you if playing the games on real hardware is the goal. If you have your heart set on an HDMI modded AES then you can have fun parting with $900 as it is the going rate on fleabay.

promking

Marked Wolf
I was looking on eBay, and I saw the Neotropolis systems for sale. I reached out, and haven't heard anything back yet on picking up a system. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on here about him that's why I was a little hesitant at saying that companies name first.
Look I know this system is not for the faint of heart, nor is it cheap. When I say reasonably priced, I mean someone who isn't going to rip me off, and try to pass off shoddy work... I've seen some console mods that look like my two year old soldered it.

I am looking at a Terraonion Cart, and the system. As I play and experience the games, I'll chase after owning copies of them. I don't want to jump into buying games right away... Especially for the AES.

I did think about a CMVS, and a Terra cart for that system as well. That is also a strong possibility...

and YES I peaked at 17 when I was the Promking lol

Last edited:

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I was looking on eBay, and I saw the Neotropolis systems for sale. I reached out, and haven't heard anything back yet on picking up a system. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on here about him that's why I was a little hesitant at saying that companies name first.
Look I know this system is not for the faint of heart, nor is it cheap. When I say reasonably priced, I mean someone who isn't going to rip me off, and try to pass off shoddy work... I've seen some console mods that look like my two year old soldered it.

I am looking at a Terraonion Cart, and the system. As I play and experience the games, I'll chase after owning copies of them. I don't want to jump into buying games right away... Especially for the AES.

I did think about a CMVS, and a Multicart for that system as well. That is also a strong possibility...

and YES I peaked at 17 when I was the Promking lol

Kenny's work is solid - I can vouch for that 100%. Prices can always be negotiated. Glad you've given this some thought. :) Hopefully you'll find a solution that works for you. There are plenty of options.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Asking for a full recapping isn't reasonable. There is really only a small handful of very experienced modders who can do a full recap without issues. It's a very big ask, and not a necessary one.

Get an upscaler like the OSSC. Depending on the AES model, modding may not be needed for the RGB.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Xian Xi on these boards is my go to for neo geo mods. I was able to buy an AES on eBay and send it directly to him for the RGB bypass mod as well as a Unibios install. He's out of Hawaii, but USPS flat rate works just as well.

promking

Marked Wolf
Xian Xi on these boards is my go to for neo geo mods. I was able to buy an AES on eBay and send it directly to him for the RGB bypass mod as well as a Unibios install. He's out of Hawaii, but USPS flat rate works just as well.

Thanks all for telling me recapping isn't necessary. Puts me at ease!

I don't have an OSSC, but I have a retrotink, that converts scart to component. I can use that until I purchase an OSSC.
I play on CRTs and PVMs.

Thanks all.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Thanks all for telling me recapping isn't necessary. Puts me at ease!

I don't have an OSSC, but I have a retrotink, that converts scart to component. I can use that until I purchase an OSSC.
I play on CRTs and PVMs.

Thanks all.

If you play on PVMs then just get an AES with an RGB bypass and call it a day. Can't HDMI to a CRT.

Also HDMI output mods don't have scalers built in so its gonna look like shit. XRGB mini or OSSC

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Would you be interested in a fully recapped and unibios modded AES, even if the shell’s cosmetic condition was pretty rough?? I’m considering selling mine.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
an OSSC is a really great investement, especially if you start getting into retrogaming in general. The picture quality is basically perfect. A surprising amount of consoles are compatible with scart, out of the box with the correct cables. I used to own about 10 arcade cabinet and downsized to a supergun+ossc setup. It's more convenient.

Shmuppy

Banned
Asking for a full recapping isn't reasonable. There is really only a small handful of very experienced modders who can do a full recap without issues. It's a very big ask, and not a necessary one.

Get an upscaler like the OSSC. Depending on the AES model, modding may not be needed for the RGB.

Come on, recapping is probably one of the easiest things in electronics if these caps are not big like Cola cans like in CRTs or massive amplifiers that could kill you if you don't know what you are doing especially touching these weapons on their two pins with your left hand. But desoldering and resolder these smaller things isn't really hard. OK, some basic soldering skills are required. I can teach anyone in 5 minutes how to solder correctly, not rocket science. Replacing SMD chips with "hundreds" of pins is where it starts to get interesting, and painful sometimes. If anyone needs a recap I'll do it for free, just pay for the shipping. I love soldering and making stuff happy again:) Bonus: Washing the PCB (if needed), cleaning up the cart connector and case is a standard for me, did modding/repairing stuff for over 15 years as a side job. Miss those times... Seing consoles being happy again and the smile on our costumers faces was so satisfying to us. Now I'm getting a little emotional, sniff...

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Come on, recapping is probably one of the easiest things in electronics if these caps are not big like Cola cans like in CRTs or massive amplifiers that could kill you. OK, some basic soldering skills are required. If anyone needs a recap I'll do it for free, just pay for the shipping.

Learn to get to the point when writing stuff.

Shmuppy

Banned
I know I'm a motormouth, can't help. But yes, "less can be more" sometimes. I just love to share old stories and read from others as well. I took notice from you Burning Fight!!

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Guess I learned something today.

Well, it's gotta be a HD CRT to have HDMI. And even then not all HD CRT's have HDMI (my HD Loewe CRT unfortunately does not have an HDMI input). So it's kinda rare to come across a CRT w/HDMI input. But they do indeed exist.

GamingCult

n00b
If you can find the Neo Geo adapter for it, I’d suggest HD Retrovision cables. I’ve been using one on my PVM and it looks amazing.

promking

Marked Wolf
About to pull the trigger on a system today as well as a Neo SD from Terra. I enjoyed all the feedback thank you guys.

promking

Marked Wolf
I had a MODE stuck in customs for about 4 weeks.
They were responsive, and always answered my emails in a day or so.
I bought a system from Kenny, and the NeoSD from Stoneage.
Thanks for all the help everyone.