Approximately how many real copies of Slug 1 AES exist worldwide?

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
So i’ve heard it was as low as fewer than 100. I’ve seen conflicting reports though. Does anyone have any sources on this that i haven’t seen yet? I saw one person say there was only 60 copies. With neo geo being popular with the insanely rich people, celebrities, etc. it makes sense that nowadays slug 1 goes for tens of thousands of dollars. I’ve always wanted to know just how rare that game is though.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Which region or do you mean all regions combined?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Mahesak on these forums (former JPN/EN AES fullset owner) speculates 500 copies for Japan and 250 for the USA. I’m not sure where he got those figures. Take it with a grain of salt. As far as I know, nobody knows for sure how many copies were produced for each region.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Mahesak on these forums (former JPN/EN AES fullset owner) speculates 500 copies for Japan and 250 for the USA. I’m not sure where he got those figures. Take it with a grain of salt. As far as I know, nobody knows for sure how many copies were produced for each region.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Last edited:

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
You could always argue that regardless of production numbers, none of these games are rare if you have deep pockets.

However I think this a very important topic for 2020. When I joined in 2009, MS1 Japanese was about 1k. Blazing star 400-500 and so forth and so forth. It was 5 years after the end of the system but games were easy to find regardless of production numbers. My number 1 question is where the fuck are the games? When is the last time you saw RBS, RB2, MOTW, LB and LB2 US copies for sale? They might as well be phantom games now that you only hear tall tales about. Hell, Metal Slug 2 Japanese was 300-400 back then and easy to find. Now you're lucky to find a real copy in a sea of conversions and NCI boots for less that $3000 US.

Where did they all go?

I believe Mahesak, if anyone can give an educated answer it would be him. I know MS3 had 500 US copies. MS4 had 500 as well, and a handful with the classic art set. MS5 US might be as rare, or ever rarer than MS1 for a US version. Especially with the classic art set. If you want even more rarity try to find the flyer as well. I believe US MS5 was 200-250 copies.

Metal Slug X might also have a production run of 500 for a US version. I know NGF was making "corrected" orange stripe inserts, but I don't know if they were destroying US copies or Japanese copies. If it was US the number would be below 500 for a real US copy.

It's all speculation but its part of the mythic history of this console and a big part of the magic that's felt for AES collectors.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You could always argue that regardless of production numbers, none of these games are rare if you have deep pockets.

However I think this a very important topic for 2020. When I joined in 2009, MS1 Japanese was about 1k. Blazing star 400-500 and so forth and so forth. It was 5 years after the end of the system but games were easy to find regardless of production numbers. My number 1 question is where the fuck are the games? When is the last time you saw RBS, RB2, MOTW, LB and LB2 US copies for sale? They might as well be phantom games now that you only hear tall tales about. Hell, Metal Slug 2 Japanese was 300-400 back then and easy to find. Now you're lucky to find a real copy in a sea of conversions and NCI boots for less that $3000 US.

Where did they all go?

I believe Mahesak, if anyone can give an educated answer it would be him. I know MS3 had 500 US copies. MS4 had 500 as well, and a handful with the classic art set. MS5 US might be as rare, or ever rarer than MS1 for a US version. Especially with the classic art set. If you want even more rarity try to find the flyer as well. I believe US MS5 was 200-250 copies.

Metal Slug X might also have a production run of 500 for a US version. I know NGF was making "corrected" orange stripe inserts, but I don't know if they were destroying US copies or Japanese copies. If it was US the number would be below 500 for a real US copy.

It's all speculation but its part of the mythic history of this console and a big part of the magic that's felt for AES collectors.
They're in someone's collection or attic. Maybe the original owner lost track of it. Most people don't put their stuff on ebay. Maybe they'll resurface in an estate sale some day. There will be people who specialize in liquidating the old video games of dead people.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It can't be that rare, noobs on Facebook seem to find legit Slug games every other week.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I'm always surprised by the low numbers of AES carts made for these games. I mean, by then the market was smaller, but it's surprising..

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that there's at least similar numbers of MS1 out there to similar titles (MS2,X,3). I think they're just sitting in collections along with all of those other titles that never, ever come up for sale. But with the way prices are going now I think a couple are beginning to change hands which is what we've been seeing.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
Some games simply aren't traded on the open market, Metal Slug is one of them. The last time I saw a legit copy for sale, openly, was in Shawn's shop 10+ years ago. I doubt the production run was very large though, 1000 sounds reasonable.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
$50 MVS cart, 5 figure AES game. I'm surprised no one has stumbled upon a NOS case or 2 of dubious origin.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Some games simply aren't traded on the open market, Metal Slug is one of them. The last time I saw a legit copy for sale, openly, was in Shawn's shop 10+ years ago. I doubt the production run was very large though, 1000 sounds reasonable.

do you remember what he was selling it for ?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I know an english copy traded hands recently for 30k

limitededtions/Francois has more money than sense. He doesn't know his pricing all that well and paid over $120 for Fatal Fury 2 JPN cause it was local. Now US MS1 is the type of thing where you pay whatever it takes, but I've seen so many of his posts on Facebook asking if "such and such price is a good deal for X game" and it's always overpriced.

He lacks the deep knowledge, but has the deep pockets. Perfect for Facebook.

Not just knowledge on pricing, but knowledge on the library, hardware, SNK history, ect...

Last edited:

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
limitededtions/Francois has more money than sense. He doesn't know his pricing all that well and paid over $120 for Fatal Fury 2 JPN cause it was local. Now US MS1 is the type of thing where you pay whatever it takes, but I've seen so many of his posts on Facebook asking if "such and such price is a good deal for X game" and it's always overpriced.

He lacks the deep knowledge, but has the deep pockets. Perfect for Facebook.

Not just knowledge on pricing, but knowledge on the library, hardware, SNK history, ect...

He bought a SSVS "unfixed" and unboxed it on his channel. He paid unfixed prices from hitjapan and when he opened it, it had a small neo geo sticker on it. Fixed.

Everyone praised his purchase. I was the only one to tell him he just got fucked.

He has deep pockets, but I think he's a nice guy and has a passion for the system and games. He doesn't know everything though to your point and he pays the price for it.

Hell if I had the money, I might drop the bones for a US copy. You can always sell it for more down the road. Prices are not going down.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm always surprised by the low numbers of AES carts made for these games. I mean, by then the market was smaller, but it's surprising..

SNK didn't make money with home carts, it was mostly prestige. They were also quite expensive to produce, reruns done only for successful games within safe genres, i.e. versus fighting. They just couldn't do huge runs based on the assumption that a quarter of a century later, long after their demise, those will sell like hotcakes, because kids from back then, slurping nostalgia from beer tumblers, will finally have a job to afford them.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
you're all talking about Pirenne?

Yeah. I will say he’s not a bad guy like redfield said. However that lack of knowledge has bitten him with his SSVS mishap, overpaying for Japanese titles, and of course, his “Buzzle Booble” kit. :lolz:

40514B21-604B-4EDE-B6AA-F4F2E028ED73.jpeg

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I know an english copy traded hands recently for 30k

Unless you were one of the parties involved, you know nothing. If you were one of the parties involved, we know nothing. The true market value of rare games ranges from unreliable to unknowable.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Unless you were one of the parties involved, you know nothing. If you were one of the parties involved, we know nothing. The true market value of rare games ranges from unreliable to unknowable.

I know boss