Who had an MVS back in the 90s? Any old school arcade operators here?

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
A response to the who had an AES growing up thread. Did any members here actually own an arcade back in the neo days? If so, which games were most profitable? Also , how did you acquire your MVS hardware and games back then, and what did they cost? Did you ever use bootleg carts in cabinets unbeknownst to the player?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I got my first CMVS in 1999. Technically it was still the 90's.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
My dad had a few big reds at his pizza restaurant in the 90s. Thats were I got my addiction from lol.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I got my Consolized MVS with Saturn controller ports around 2007. Up until the mid 2000's I didn't even know there was a way of playing arcade cart at home.

I first found out about Superguns and Consolized MVS' on the forum.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
My dad had a few big reds at his pizza restaurant in the 90s. Thats were I got my addiction from lol.

You were officially ballin’ back then lol. Did your dad let you play for free when you wanted? What were the lineups like?

Pinball

Kula's Candy
I bought a 6-slot MVS cab in the mid-90s and put it in the dining room, heh. I still have that cab now, although it has had a number of modifications :-) The EL marquee panel lights died a few years back, but I replaced them with new ELs (not LED). I always thought it was better made than most JAMMA cabs.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I used to run an arcade back in the 90's. We had a 4 slot machine. It wasn't huge popular at the time, though. I think SS3 was the newest most played game in it and I can't remember the other games that it had. The company would never send us anything different for it.

Because it was a Namco arcade, we got all the Namco arcade games when they came out though so. All in all, when I left they were in transition to becoming more of a redemption center than actual arcade.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
My buddy (Kristoff on here - although hasn't been active on here in ages) and I bought a 4 slot big red and set it up in his parent's basement - this was sometime in 1999. Well, he "bought" it, but I fronted him the money. lol. Eventually, when we ran a local mom & pop game shop a couple years later in College, we set it up in the store and got a fair amount of play on it. He had a pretty decent MVS library, so we used it to run some local tournaments as well. We didn't make much money, but we also didn't charge many people as we'd usually jump in and play with them.

There were a few other Big Red machines at the local arcades around Cincinnati back then, but most operators stopped updating the games around 1996. That's why we had such a turnout at our game store - other SNK fans in the area found out there was one Big Red around that had current SNK games they could play (usually) for free.

Ended up with a neat little community we built up over a year and a half or so because of that machine. We had a pretty hardcore posse of fighting game nerds, and we all played together for a few years after he eventually sold the MVS and EB bought the store. Hell, I still play fighting games weekly with Kristoff and another friend we met through the community we built over 20 years ago. Good times. :-J

I've always been an AES guy personally, but I do have a crazy fondness for the Big Red machines because of this for sure.

Last edited:

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
You were officially ballin’ back then lol. Did your dad let you play for free when you wanted? What were the lineups like?

My dad showed me how to open the coin door with a knife so I could pull out quarters. He didn't own the cabs. Some guy routed cabs and pins and split the profits with my dad.

I remeber Sam Show 2, Kof 94, and I think some bullshit like 8 man. It was a beat em up but it wasn't very fun lol

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Didn’t you also have some angelfire or geocities review site?

Yeah. The reviews were really bad, but it had some other random stuff too. It wasn't on one of those free web sites. I started it on my high school's server, and eventually moved it to its own domain name.

I got my CMVS (if you could call it that) on a newsgroup for $250. I paid by money order. I believe I was the third owner. Whoever made it must have known what they were doing, since the information about the video encoder wouldn't have been easily found online back then.

attachment.php