The 1996 game selection - your favorites?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
All you have to say about this year is Metal Slug. Enough said.

But that would be doing the Neo a massive disservice. This was both a huge year for the Neo Geo and a sign of decline. This would be the last year for a while that all of SNK’s biggest series would receive a sequel. Even though Metal Slug, KOF and Neo Turf Masters would help inject new life in the platform, a few other games on AES from this year would receive extremely small print runs as a result of dwindling sales in some regions.

There were an incredible 22 games released this year. Sadly, it would become the last big year as from this point on, the Neo would receive fewer and fewer games in future years.

Art of Fighting 3
Breakers
King of Fighters 96
Kizuna Encounter
Magical Drop 2
Metal Slug
Neo Drift Out
Neo Mr. Do!
Neo Turf Masters
Ninja Master’s
Over Top
Pleasure Goal
Puzzle de Pon R
Ragnagard
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Shodown IV
Stakes Winner 2
Super Dodgeball
Super Sidekicks 4: The Ultimate 11
Tecmo World Soccer ‘96
Twinkle Star Sprites
Waku Waku 7

My personal favorites from this list are AOF3, KOF96, Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters, Ninja Master’s, RBFFS, SS4, TSS and Waku Waku 7.

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
KOF 96 and Metal Slug are my all time favorites. KOF 96, without a doubt is actually my favorite fighting game of all time, hands down, and I first played it in 1997 at Chicago's Fun Zone next to my high school. RBFFSpecial is also fucking fantastic and probably my favorite FF game. SS4 was a game I played with my friends in college and I LOVE Ultimate 11. Such a great year for the Neo Geo.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
96 was absolutely a killer year of titles for the neo. Breakers, magical drop 2, metal slug, neo turf masters, TSS, and waku waku 7 would be my tops. Waku is one of my top 3 fighting games for the system, even.

Raguy

New Challenger
Even if it is written 1996 on title screen, real bout ff special is 1997 game because release date of mvs version is 28 january 1997 and one month later for aes release.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
TSS, MS, WW7, and Ninja Master’s would make up a perfect Neo 4 slot for 1996.

Kof 95, Pulstar, SSIII, and AF3 would be the perfect 4 slot for 1995, although tempted to make it Puzzle Bobble 2 instead of Pulstar. I know right! AF3 over Pulstar?! AF3 is just a fun and silly game. Pulstar can get too technical.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
TSS, MS, WW7, and Ninja Master’s would make up a perfect Neo 4 slot for 1996.

Kof 95, Pulstar, SSIII, and AF3 would be the perfect 4 slot for 1995, although tempted to make it Puzzle Bobble 2 instead of Pulstar. I know right! AF3 over Pulstar?! AF3 is just a fun and silly game. Pulstar can get too technical.

I actually agree on your 1995 4 slot. Sure it’s an unpopular opinion, but Aero Fighters 3 is my favorite NEO•GEO game of all time! The perfect 2 slot is aero fighters 2&3 with aero fighters artwork and custom dedicated marquee.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
*Tries to decide between Real Bout Fatal Fury Special and King of Fighters 96*

*head explodes*

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Almost all of the games that came out in 1996 are quality titles. 1995-1997 were the years with the most variety while taking advantage of the hardware to new heights.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Truly one of the best years for the Neo Geo, giving us legendary games such as KOF'96, Metal Slug and Real Bout Special (even tho I guess it's Januray 1997 for this one), also the best racing games for the Neo, Over Top and Neo Drift Out. Breakers is the best title of this year for me personally, it's one of the best playing fighting games on the Neo and dare I say one of the greatest ever, even though it tends to be kinda overlooked.

Last edited:

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Neo Drift Out for sure. Legit my favorite Neo game ever

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Metal Slug, TSS, Neo Drift Out, RBFFS, Neo Turf Masters, etc. What a line up!

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
My Choices
Metal Slug
RBS FFS
Waku Waku 7
Twinkle Star Sprites
Neo Dirftout

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Wow - 96....Hummm, lots of goodness here. RBS is technically a 97 title, so I can't count that.

Guess I'll have to go with Twinkle Star Sprites or Metal Slug that year. KOF96, while beautiful and the music rocks, I've never enjoyed as much as 95 or what came after.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Insane year really, Turf Masters and KOF96 are both peak but shout out to Kizuna and Art of Fighting 3. I've learned to accept AOF3 in particular for what it is and it's a really fun game

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Give me Neo Turf Masters and I'll be happy even without the rest.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Magical Drop 2 is easily my favorite from that year. Not quite as good as money idol, but definitely one of the better puzzle games on the system. Always a great time playing multiplayer.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Man, 1996 was just a fucking fantastic year for gaming. Seeing all the responses here just put a big smile to my face. Great selections guys!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Art of Fighting 3
King of Fighters 96
Kizuna Encounter
Magical Drop 2
Metal Slug
Neo Turf Masters
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Shodown IV

Great Year. Kof 96 and Real Bout Special is what make it the most for me. Kof 96 was my favourite out of the series for the longest time until it was replaced by 97.