Who Had An AES Growing Up in the 90s?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
IT even struggles a PS1...

The Saturn one was nice, but at the expese of that ROM cart. The Snes could barely run a SF Alpha game, and that with the help of an external CPU.

Oh that’s right, I forgot about the PS1 version!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Didn't own a Neo console till the mid 2000's. Saturn, Dreamcast and of course the Arcades was my access to Neo games which was completely fine. the Saturn and Dreamcast took care of all my Neo Geo needs. The only game I really missed out on was Real Bout 2 which was a shame because it turned out to be my favourite Neo Geo game ever.

Shmuppy

Banned
Man, I feel the same about RB2. IMO it's the pinnacle of Fatal Fury. One of the best games on the Neo for sure. It just looks awesome, plays awesome and the music/sound is awesome. I own the Japanese AES version but I can't remember where I got that rarity(?)... And yepp, Saturn and DC hit the spot for me too. Especially the excellent KOF'98 DC conversion called KOF'99 Dream Match IIRC...

Last edited:

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Didn't own a Neo console till the mid 2000's. Saturn, Dreamcast and of course the Arcades was my access to Neo games which was completely fine. the Saturn and Dreamcast took care of all my Neo Geo needs. The only game I really missed out on was Real Bout 2 which was a shame because it turned out to be my favourite Neo Geo game ever.

It’s sad that Sonic Wings 3 never had a proper non-neo home port back in those days. That would have been great on saturn. Instead we just have sonic wings special with it’s extremely crappy soundtrack

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Man, I feel the same about RB2. IMO it's the pinnacle of Fatal Fury. One of the best games on the Neo for sure. It just looks awesome, plays awesome and the music/sound is awesome.

a7dfb8e3254ba4b6-crowd-applause-find-make-share-gfycat-gifs.gif

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Especially the excellent KOF'98 DC conversion called KOF'99 Dream Match IIRC...

To be honest, mate. I know a lot of people really like 99 Dream match, But I find they fucked the controls up with that port. The whole game just feels very stiff in comparison to the original. Which is a shame considering the rest of the series was pretty solid on the Dreamcast. I would go as far as saying the Dreamcast is my go to console to play Kof 99 and 00.

Shmuppy

Banned
Interesting to hear about the controls. Never played the AES version (which I'm still after) except Mame a little bit. What I find so special is it runs in scanline 240p mode and every background looks "exactly" the same until it moves. Best 2D polygonised BGs I've ever seen. Sad to hear about the controls. The real '99 (black CD cover?) on DC is good? I own it and can't find it for months...

Ip Man

15 Year Member
The real '99 (black CD cover?) on DC is good? I own it and can't find it for months...

The rest of the ports are solid on the Dreamcast. Kof 99,00,01 and 02 are excellent ports. But saying that Dream match is still a good game and most don't seem to notice the problem with the controls. Craig once said it was his favourite version of the game.

I play Kof 97/98 the most and with the Dreamcast port i could definitely feel how unresponsive the controls could be.

Shmuppy

Banned
That's really sad b/c as I mentioned technically it's awesome. KOF'98 AES would be my dream. Wanna trade with my Brikinger NCD? I don't like this game anyway:) Oh, I never knew that '00 and '01 got a DC port too. Interesting. Can't decide which is my fav KOF between '97, '98 and '99. They all have their strengths and differ substantially but I think '98 is the sweet spot.

Last edited:
How are loading times on games like Last Blade 2 on the DC? On the Neo Geo CD they were insanely slow.

Shmuppy

Banned
Way faster than Saturn or PS1 and the NCD anyway. I guess like 5 seconds or less?... Pretty fast, it's not in the slightest annoying. Btw. Last Blade 2 is a really good conversion on DC.

Way faster than Saturn or PS1 and the NCD anyway. I guess like 5 seconds or less?... Pretty fast, it's not in the slightest annoying. Btw. Last Blade 2 is a really good conversion on DC.

Great! And a lot less expensive too!

Shmuppy

Banned
Haha, yes indeed! But still not the cheapest DC game. As you might know NCD has a 1x speed CD drive. PS/SAT had a 2x one and DC a 12x specialized high density CD (GD) drive. Do the math and you get the picture. DC is perfect for any kind of fighter, if you have an arcade stick...

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Haha, yes indeed! But still not the cheapest DC game. As you might know NCD has a 1x speed CD drive. PS/SAT had a 2x one and DC a 12x specialized high density CD (GD) drive. Do the math and you get the picture. DC is perfect for any kind of fighter, if you have an arcade stick...
I would not say the DC was perfect (games were still limited by what could be fit in the disc-based system's memory buffer) but still a huge step up from what was available as a mainstream console up to that point. Let's not forget that the DC was basically a Naomi board with less memory and a less powerful GPU, so it was almost an arcade system itself.

But a similar case can be made for the Saturn. The Saturn had the ST-V/Titan arcade board (although that was intended more as budget-friendly). If anything, the Saturn was even more ahead of its time for 2-D arcade ports.

Last edited:

Shmuppy

Banned
Every HW is limited but DC had the perfect mixture of 2D and 3D titles at the time. I mean as soon as I saw Sonic Adv 2 I was stunned about the awesome sharp and colorful graphics running @60fps. Saturn was a beast in 2D but wasn't powerful enough to bring up a 1988 SEGA Y-Board Galaxy Force or Power Drift @60fps. In short, Saturn was a complete mess from a HW point of view. Everything from design to production to coding that monstrosity is just a nightmare. It even can't do z-axis calculations the proper way. Hang-On 1985 and all other Super Scalers did. DC was very streamlined and pedal to the metal. Pretty much like Model2. DC is in my opinion the perfect console when 2D fully transitioned to 3D. Best of both worlds. Also, I'm heavily biased to DC so everything DC is good to me:) Btw interesting stuff on your channel.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
That's really sad b/c as I mentioned technically it's awesome. KOF'98 AES would be my dream. Wanna trade with my Brikinger NCD? I don't like this game anyway:) Oh, I never knew that '00 and '01 got a DC port too. Interesting. Can't decide which is my fav KOF between '97, '98 and '99. They all have their strengths and differ substantially but I think '98 is the sweet spot.

I’d trade my KOF 98 JPN AES for an earthbound (SNES).

I love DC. My only retro consoles are Saturn and Dreamcast at this point. Everything else is either by Analogue or an emulation reissue thing (sorry). But, yeah, the DC handles 2D fighters terrifically, and I've read some SNK aficionados argue a few games perform superiorly on the DC than the AES. I have no data or experience to back up that tall claim, and I'm sure it's pretty controversial.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Every HW is limited but DC had the perfect mixture of 2D and 3D titles at the time. I mean as soon as I saw Sonic Adv 2 I was stunned about the awesome sharp and colorful graphics running @60fps. Saturn was a beast in 2D but wasn't powerful enough to bring up a 1988 SEGA Y-Board Galaxy Force or Power Drift @60fps. In short, Saturn was a complete mess from a HW point of view. Everything from design to production to coding that monstrosity is just a nightmare. It even can't do z-axis calculations the proper way. Hang-On 1985 and all other Super Scalers did. DC was very streamlined and pedal to the metal. Pretty much like Model2. DC is in my opinion the perfect console when 2D fully transitioned to 3D. Best of both worlds. Also, I'm heavily biased to DC so everything DC is good to me:) Btw interesting stuff on your channel.
Another thing about the DC that was a step up from anything before it was the 480p VGA output. For those who experienced it at the time, that made the graphics look their sharpest. The Naomi was also a VGA system.

Like I said, Saturn was a powerhouse for 2-D arcade ports. The ports of 3-D arcade games obviously didn't fare nearly as well, the Saturn was still good for a 3-D home console at the time. Look at the port of Dead or Alive -- Obviously not arcade perfect, but still an impressive home port for its time.

Last edited:
Another thing about the DC that was a step up from anything before it was the 480p VGA output. For those who experienced it at the time, that made the graphics look their sharpest. The Naomi was also a VGA system.

Like I said, Saturn was a powerhouse for 2-D arcade ports. The ports of 3-D arcade games obviously didn't fare nearly as well, the Saturn was still good for a 3-D home console at the time. Look at the port of Dead or Alive -- Obviously not arcade perfect, but still an impressive home port for its time.

I should also start a thread about original Dreamcast owners from '99 to '00, and ask them to share their stories. That might not be as appropriate here, but, as we mentioned, there were a good amount of SNK games on the console. And I could actually co unt myself among the ranks of the original few who bought the DC when it was first released, sorta.

I bought my college girlfriend at that time, back in 2000, a Dreamcast, because 1) she expressed interest in video games, 2) it was price-reduced to around $100, and considerably less expensive than the other nex-gen consoles of the time, and 3) I was very, very whipped. When she dumped me, she gave me back a lot of the things I got her in a cardboard box, except the Dreamcast. At the time, I really hated the system, especially the controller. Now I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

Shmuppy

Banned

Not only the VGA output but the SCART RGB deflickered interlace signal was very very smooth and still/flickerfree + PAL 60Hz. On top the HW-3 deflickering gives you 2x anti-aliasing for free. DC is the most progressive and innovative console ever IMO. And DC has Ulala, our beloved Space Channel 5 moderator and dancer! I think DC and PC-Engine should make a baby so we don't have to deal with today's "consoles". Outtrigger looks "better" than current Halo Infinite and it runs @60fps too, geez...

Last edited:

Shmuppy

Banned
I should also start a thread about original Dreamcast owners from '99 to '00, and ask them to share their stories. That might not be as appropriate here, but, as we mentioned, there were a good amount of SNK games on the console. And I could actually co unt myself among the ranks of the original few who bought the DC when it was first released, sorta.

I bought my college girlfriend at that time, back in 2000, a Dreamcast, because 1) she expressed interest in video games, 2) it was price-reduced to around $100, and considerably less expensive than the other nex-gen consoles of the time, and 3) I was very, very whipped. When she dumped me, she gave me back a lot of the things I got her in a cardboard box, except the Dreamcast. At the time, I really hated the system, especially the controller. Now I really appreciate it!

Was a first adopter since Japanese MD. But in the case of DC my (then) girlfriend kinda begged me silently to not buy the DC and wait (me standing bofore it and drooling) with one controller and VF3tb naked for 1700 bucks in the end of 1998. Three months later I payed 1300 for my DC with S-Video cable, two controllers, one VMU, arcade stick, steering wheel, Sonic Adv, VF3tb, SRally2, Pen Pen Tricelon!! Haha, what a trashy fun game! DC, best gaming purchase in my life. Puhh and shortly after came Soul Calibur, Power Stone, RGB SCART cable, VGA-Box etc. I was with over 1000 bucks in the red, the import shop I was working at b/c it was impossible to earn/pay for all that good stuff that came out for the DC in its lifetime. And all the MD/SFC/PCE/NG stuff wanted to be bought as well.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
People always point to the number of units sold and call the DC a failure, but I'll go to my grave saying that the DC had captured the public imagination (at least in the US) similar to how the Genesis did, and was poised to perform respectably against the PS2. There was just a general feeling that the DC was everywhere, and well-loved by the general public. Not to mention a successful launch in the States. It was about to do well when they suddenly pulled it. They could have sold plenty of consoles at a $200 price point. I still think the only good reason for Sega pull the plug was piracy (similar to SNK and the Neo).

Was a first adopter since Japanese MD. But in the case of DC my (then) girlfriend kinda begged me silently to not buy the DC and wait (me standing bofore it and drooling) with one controller and VF3tb naked for 1700 bucks in the end of 1998. Three months later I payed 1300 for my DC with S-Video cable, two controllers, one VMU, arcade stick, steering wheel, Sonic Adv, VF3tb, SRally2, Pen Pen Tricelon!! Haha, what a trashy fun game! DC, best gaming purchase in my life. Puhh and shortly after came Soul Calibur, Power Stone, RGB SCART cable, VGA-Box etc. I was with over 1000 bucks in the red, the import shop I was working at b/c it was impossible to earn/pay for all that good stuff that came out for the DC in its lifetime. And all the MD/SFC/PCE/NG stuff wanted to be bought as well.

Do you still have that unit? (Referring to the Dreamcast, not your girlfriend ;-)

People always point to the number of units sold and call the DC a failure, but I'll go to my grave saying that the DC had captured the public imagination (at least in the US) similar to how the Genesis did, and was poised to perform respectably against the PS2. There was just a general feeling that the DC was everywhere, and well-loved by the general public. Not to mention a successful launch in the States. It was about to do well when they suddenly pulled it. They could have sold plenty of consoles at a $200 price point. I still think the only good reason for Sega pull the plug was piracy (similar to SNK and the Neo).

Sega Corporation was a mess. We know how great a system it is. I mean, it stands up against modern systems graphically still.