MV-1C Neo Bios Masta VMC install possible Component missing need help

Kynrek

n00b
I have a consolized MV-1C that was working great except it would not save settings or high scores so I decided to get the Neo Bios Masta VMC. I also purchased a unibios 4.0 chip and tried to install both. The board was was already modified when I got it. it was in a "cbox" consolized MVS, it had unibos 3.3 I think. I removed the bios chip to install the Neo Bios Masta VMC and now the system won't boot. I noticed it looks like there is a trace lifted near pin 40 of the old bios chip and there is a component missing there labeled PC1. I'm not sure if it was removed by the previous owner or if I accidentally removed it while removing the bios chip. Does anyone know what the component is supposed to be or if it could be causing the system not to boot? Initially the system would not even power on after removing the bios chip, then I wired pin 10 to pin 21 and the system powers on but won't boot any games. I'm not sure if I need to do anything else for the install or if there is another problem going on.

pictures are linked below (I can't seem to get them to embed properly):

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/nrprdrpt.com/images/neogeo1.jpeg

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/nrprdrpt.com/images/neogeo2.jpeg

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/nrprdrpt.com/images/neogeo3.jpeg

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
You don't need that jumper wire if the entirety of the original bios is removed. It is used to disable the chip to allow the VMC bios to operate. You also need to clean the contacts around the cpu before installing an NBM to ensure a good electrical connection.

Kynrek

n00b
You don't need that jumper wire if the entirety of the original bios is removed. It is used to disable the chip to allow the VMC bios to operate. You also need to clean the contacts around the cpu before installing an NBM to ensure a good electrical connection.

Ok so I removed the wire and cleaned up the extra solder around where the bios used to be and now it will power on but still no video signal or anything. I cleaned the 68000 pins with alcohol and a toothbrush. I am guessing the missing component may be what’s stopping it from booting. It looks like a little SMD ceramic capacitor but I don’t know the value to replace it with.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Is it just me or is your big toe really fucking big?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The missing SMD component is a 0.1uf bypass capacitor. The board should function with or without it.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Without the VMC module plugged in, what kind of screen do you get when you turn on the board?

Misos

New Challenger
I had issues installing a Bios Masta before and i had to use a fine grit sandpaper to remove the corrosion on the m68000's pins.
If you are getting a watchdog screen that could be the issue.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Is it just me or is your big toe really fucking big?
I think it's just you. I used to be self-conscious about my big toes until I saw a guy on the bus wearing sandals with some of the ugliest feet I've ever seen.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I had issues installing a Bios Masta before and i had to use a fine grit sandpaper to remove the corrosion on the m68000's pins.
If you are getting a watchdog screen that could be the issue.

I always use either a fiberglass pen or nylon scratch pen to clean the pins on the 68K, works all the time.

Kynrek

n00b
So I sent my system and my Neo bios masta to Brian Hargrove, at first he thought my board was toast as well and then he replaced the fuse and it is working!! He and I both thought the fuse was good. The metal wire in the fuse wasn’t broken but apparently it was bad. I did notice that it would glow red for a second when you first turn on the system (not sure if that is a normal appearance or not for fuses)